LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #31
Hell-Shooter

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

First, like I remembered I remove the 4 version before I installed the 8...
But I will try anyway...

I need to remove this too:
/lib/modules/2.6.6/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
?

Old 06-11-2004, 10:55 AM   #32
Ohmn
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Actually the instructions are correct. The ndiswrapper -m modifies your /etc/modules.conf file to alias the ndiswrapper module to wlan0. I don't think that you see wlan0 unless this change is made. The actual ndiswrapper module is compiled at the make install step, which is one of the first thinngs you do. Modprobe ndiswrapper loads the module into the kernel so it can be used.
Thanks for the reply hangdog42. But I want to be sure I understand what you are saying. Yes I removed the older version of ndiswrapper for the newer .8 version. I want to post the instructions in the install document with my results.

1. Make install

Once I removed the older ndiswrapper, the newer version .8 executed this

2. ndiswrapper -i < /path/file.inf>

This loaded. I checked with "ndiswrapper -l" and got the message "Installed ndis drivers: wmp11nds present" (wmp11nds is the latest driver on linksys site and wmp11v27 hung my computer three times when I did modprobe ndiswrapper. So I "ndiswrapper -e" to unload wmp11v27 and loaded wmp11nds)

3. modprobe ndiswrapper

This seemed to execute, I received no error message. And unlike when I tried to use wmp11v27, the computer did not freeze solid But when I run "iwconfig" I get: "lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless extensions"

So this is where I started to wonder if there was a missing step "ndiswrapper -m"? If not than I am stuck at what to do. Thanks

Last edited by Ohmn; 06-11-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #33
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Two things to do

1) run lsmod and make sure the ndiswrapper module is loaded (it should appear in the list)
2) run ndiswrapper -m and then check your /etc/modules.conf file and make sure that there is an alias ndiswrapper wlan0 line present.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #34
Ohmn
LQ Newbie

"Two things to do

1) run lsmod and make sure the ndiswrapper module is loaded (it should appear in the list)
2) run ndiswrapper -m and then check your /etc/modules.conf file and make sure that there is an alias ndiswrapper wlan0 line present."

Okay here goes:

1). "lsmod" has the entry:

ndiswrapper 65376 0

So I think I am good there.

2). "ndiswrapper -m" Tells me "wrote alias".

/etc/modprobe.conf contains:
"alias wlan0 ndiswrapper"

So I think number 2 is good.

However when I run "iwconfig" I get :

"lo no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions."

I also dont get the output from "dmesg" that the install documents indicates I should have. The indicated output should be:

"wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device"

But I get:

"ndiswrapper: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
ndiswrapper version 0.8 loaded
ndiswrapper adding wmp11nds.sys"

I even tried unloading the wmp11nds driver and tried wmp11v27. Since I had "ndiswrapper -m" before I "modprobe ndiswrapper" the computer did not freeze this time But I still got the same output for "dmesg" except for the driver being wmp11v27 instead of wmp11nds and the identical output for "iwconfig":

"lo no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions."

Any ideas?

One more thing for clarification. I originally installed ndiswrapper.4 from the mandrake 10 official cds. I uninstalled using their "unstall program". It elimanated the .4 folder and all its contents. But there was one folder left called "ndiswrapper" in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/3rdparty that contained the following files:

ndiswrapper.ko ndiswrapper.ko.gz

I did not delete this folder. When the "make install" worked I guess I assumed this was not a problem. /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/3rdparty is also the place I unzipped the ndiswrapper.8. So I now have a file there called "ndiswrapper .8"

I know the network card is working because this is a dual boot win2k/mandrake 10 official computer and I am posting all this from win2k So the card and wireless network are working.

Last edited by Ohmn; 06-11-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:23 PM   #35
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Quote:
ndiswrapper: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted
I don't think this is a cause for worry. I think it is just a warning that the kernel has modules that may not be GPL compliant. Don't worry about it at this point, ndiswrapper appears to be loading.

Quote:
lo no wireless extensions.
Do me a favor....Get into your kernel source code directory and open the .config file in a text editor. Once you have it open, search for two lines. The first is CONFIG_NET_RADIO and the second is CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS. If both of those are NOT uncommented and =y, then we have a kernel configuration problem.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #36
Ohmn
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Do me a favor....Get into your kernel source code directory and open the .config file in a text editor. Once you have it open, search for two lines. The first is CONFIG_NET_RADIO and the second is CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS. If both of those are NOT uncommented and =y, then we have a kernel configuration problem.
I am going to need a little help locating the .config file you are referring to.

IN /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-7mdk there is the following:

3rdparty crypto include kernel mm scripts
arch Documentation init lib net security
COPYING drivers ipc MAINTAINERS README sound
CREDITS fs kdb Makefile REPORTING-BUGS usr

The names in capital letters are file and the names in lower case are directories.

in /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-7mdk/kernel there is the following

acct.c extable.c module.c ptrace.c time.c
capability.c fork.c panic.c rcupdate.c timer.c
compat.c futex.c params.c resource.c uid16.c
configs.c intermodule.c pid.c sched.c user.c
cpu.c itimer.c posix-timers.c signal.c workqueue.c
dma.c kallsyms.c power softirq.c
exec_domain.c kmod.c printk.c sys.c
exit.c Makefile profile.c sysctl.c

This time many files are also in lower case. "Power" is a directory.

Any of these files look like the .config file you are referring to? If not any ideas where to look?

Last edited by Ohmn; 06-11-2004 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #37
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

All files starting with a . are "hidden" files. Just doing a normal ls doesn't show them, you need to do a ls -a. The /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-7mdk should be the right directory.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:26 PM   #38
Hell-Shooter

Original Poster
Hey...
I check my .config file, and I have this two option with no '#' and with =y ...
So what this mean?

Old 06-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #39
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

It means your kernel is properly configured for wireless. I asked Ohmn to check his because of the "no wireless extension" errors he is seeing. The easy answer to that one is that wireless support wasn't compiled into the kernel. In your case, the kernel is properly configured, as long as you were looking at the .config for your 2.6.6 kernel.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #40
Hell-Shooter

Original Poster
I have this:
"no wireless extension"
too...

And yes I looked at the 2.6.6 .config file...

So why I see the "no wireless extension"?

Old 06-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #41
Ohmn
LQ Newbie

Quote:
The first is CONFIG_NET_RADIO and the second is CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS. If both of those are NOT uncommented and =y, then we have a kernel configuration problem.
The entries are exactly:

CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y

CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y

There are no "#" beginning the line.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #42
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Dang. OK, I'm going to have to do a bit of digging to find out possible solutions to this. Feel free to do a little googling yourself or do some reading on the ndiswrapper forums at sourceforge.

Hell-Shooter: don't worry about the the "wireless not found" just yet. Lets make sure you get ndiswrapper installed properly first.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #43
Hell-Shooter

Original Poster
OK.
And you will find nothing in the NdisWrapper forum...
You can enter the forum, and you will see a messege of mine there...
but no one helping me...

Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #44
Ohmn
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Dang. OK, I'm going to have to do a bit of digging to find out possible solutions to this. Feel free to do a little googling yourself or do some reading on the ndiswrapper forums at sourceforge.
Thanks a lot for the time you have already spent helping
I have googled on the internet. Maybe I missed something or maybe I did not understand what I read. But my googling brought me to this forum heh. I even tried the irc ndiswrapper channel. Guess I will try that again

Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #45
Hell-Shooter

Original Poster
Hey mate, give me the channel please...