LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #196
raela
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 13.1

Rep: Reputation: 0

This is a really nice guide, thanks for writing it. One suggestion I have, although this may be a common sense error, as a newbie I got lost with the CUPS installation- before you open a webbrowser to configure printing, you may have to do cupsd first.. it took me awhile to get printing working without knowing that.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #197
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Just a reminder for all to keep this thread on topic, meaning if you have got questions of your own, please add a new thread for it. Easier for you, easier for ppl who join LQ later.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #198
luk32
LQ Newbie

The first thing are many greetings to shino for your Great-Ulimate-For-Even-New-Green-Users guide into a world of Slackware.
I had read the guide and have started to reading other post. While i was reading abt graphical boot screen in lilo as many users here i told my "Why not, let's give it a try", and as many users heer i had awful (but it could allways went worse ) problems to get that working. I am a really in the topie of linux, so i made some thing around-the-point, but let'em remain in silence.

... Gosh it's it's just 01:10 here and i must wake up at 05:00 ...

So my point is that i found out what exactly you have to do to bring the thing on.

I stopped readin the thread at 7th page (@.@) and i didn't see the way how to do it. According to the also great from obvius reasons page http://shilo.is-a-geek.com/slack/, no body has made step-by-step guide,

so if anyone won't post that the problem was solved, i'll prepare the step-by-step guide, or at least i'll write what i have done, coz one thing seems to be unclear for me, but the bmp boot loader works

I'll try to do it after school, os see ya, and one more time greetz and thanks to shilo, for the great job.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #199
shilo

Distribution: Slackware 11 - kernel 2.6.19.1 - Dropline Gnome 2.16.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 50
raela-

I'll have to read my own guide again. I was under the impression that if one followed along, cupsd was started at boot time by default. If not, I'll definately add that in.

luk32-

Please do post your problem and step-by step resolution. I am always interested in knowing where my guide has not worked out and if a better solution exists.

Everyone-

This post was just made sticky. Thank you to everyone.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #200
mickey1980
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slackware/fedora

-Systematic

I'll try that out and post the outcome, thks alot

-shilo

Compiling my own kernel? hmm... i've tried to but nvr manage to get it to work, but i'll give tt a shot if
using the scsi.i kernel doesn't work... thanks alot!!

Old 06-09-2004, 05:55 AM   #201
greythorne

Rep: Reputation: 30
hmmm shilo theres one thing i dont understand. "I also added the sysfs entry. Something you have to do if you're going to be using the 2.6.xx kernel."

but when i was using FC1 i compiled kernel-2.6.5 well in http://fedoraforum.org it says the kernel-2.6.5 uses the /sys now im using slack-9.1 with kernel-2.6.6 but did not create /sys but i was able to boot without problems.

why use /sys?

Old 06-09-2004, 06:29 AM   #202
luk32
LQ Newbie

OK so, i'm on my information technology lessons now, so i'll write about the problem li'l global and as soon as i'm in home i edit it to a step-by-step guide. So i don't know how version of lilo do you use but think it's lilo-22.5.9.
So firstly downloaded the current package form http://www.slackware.com/ and sure did installed it. Made the conf and rebooted, and .... nothing has changed, all was the same, i'm still not sure why it didn't read the variables and opts form the file.
I didn't do much with the package thing, so i'll went to the www and got to the sources the link i used is http://lilo.go.dyndns.org/. And direct link to file is http://home.san.rr.com/johninsd/pub/...-22.5.9.tar.gz. Got it unpacked. In the positive feeling made me the ./QuickInstall [or sth like that, i don't remeber the exact name at now] script. It compiled the whoe package in a few moments [Celeron500], and continued to the config guide. I just choosed to not write the new config file but to use existing one, i was parsed w/o any warnings nor errors. Maybe i hadn't noticed before but the map file appeared and then .map file too both of them are the same ?.?, but there was still lack of the *.b, file i noticed that in the lilo sources directory some *.b files were made, the bitmap.b too, so i thought "That may be it", but gah nope... i still was a bit confused about the "reloading" config file and i bulit the package each time i chaged it so it was reloaded.
And the main thing now, refering to the man file of lilo.conf, you don't use "install = file.b" 'coz it's deprecated like in lilo.sample.conf, there are 3 option that may be assigned to install:
text - just plain console [old ones ver of lilo (as i have read)]
menu - text menu [default now]
bmp - that's what we are aiming at

So i think the really one thing that is needed to be changed is the "install =" line.

When i'm at home i'll check that any *.b file is needed, and some other things, and edit this post to make a step-by-step guide. I hope that this crap of text will help you too.

and just a question, do i must execute "lilo" to make it "reload" the lilo.cofig, because i got really confused whe it didn't applied the changes ... k i must end
see ya all

Old 06-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #203
shilo

Original Poster
greythorne-

You don't actually "need" the /sys directory. If you create one, it will have all of your computers devices listed under it. I am not very knowledgeable on the "how's and why's" of it, but it can't hurt anything having it, so if you'd like, create the directory and reboot to see what happens. Depending on the update status of your Slackware install, you may or may not have to edit your /etc/fstab file.

luk32-

Thanks for your addition. I'm gonna have to read through it a few times, as it is alittle confusing on first read. I'll follow along as you update.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 PM   #204
luk32
LQ Newbie

sorry for late of the text but i lost one copy and it is rewritten

I. Preparations
The first thing that we need to have is the file with sources of the current version of lilo, i used the one from:
http://lilo.go.dyndns.org/
The direct link to the file that we need is:
http://home.san.rr.com/johninsd/pub/...-22.5.9.tar.gz

This file contains all that we'll need to make our screen boot more pretty, including some sample properly configured pictures

Now if you downloaded it just unpack it.

II. Installing new lilo

1. back up your current /etc/lilo.conf

Code:
cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.backup
[note] i do NOT advice to name it with /etc/lilo.conf.old, 'cause the setup script or other nasty thing may overwrite it and that'd be not nice if something will went wrong.

2. Compiling and installing the new lilo.

This step is really simple due to install script provided with lilo that makes much thing easier.

So enter to the directory where your lilo package is unpacked.
type
Code:
./QuickInst
When the installer asks you to continue and to replace existing in /boot directory files, answer yes or you can't press [ENTER] key since it's default.

If you didn't compile the package before it will be compiled at this step, this does not take too much time [on my Celeron500], if you did it'll execute make but nothing particular will happen.

At the next step if the installer recognize /etc/lilo.conf exist (what should happen), it will ask you to make a new config file.
I'd advice to despite of the default answer which is "no", say "yes".
There may appear some changes since the syntax has slightly changed.

Then you will be asked some questions that you should know the answers.
[note] i did it in a bit different way, that's why i do not remember the questions but this solution seems to be safer.

After that the installer will execute /sbin/lilo to reload it's config file.

III. The config

Edit /etc/lilo.conf in your favored text editor.
You'll have to make it something like that:

Code:
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig' and modified by LUK32 ^-^
#
# Start LILO global section

boot="/dev/hda"
lba32

# the user-interface section

map = /boot/.map
install = bmp		#this line should look like that, 'cause as i understood the
			#install = /boot/*.b syntax is out dated, but it should still work

bitmap = /boot/ins64a.bmp		#name of your background picture
#bmp-colors = 14,11,,15,9,0		#these lines can be commented if the proper
#bmp-table = 21,284p,2,7,175p,4	#"companion" file exist in the boot directory,
#bmp-timer = 73,29,12,8,0		#in this case it's /boot/ins64a.dat

# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
vga = 788                              #viedo mode lilo will be launched in, the bmp should be 640x480x16
                                              #or 640x480x256 but it'll work in higher resolution  

prompt
timeout = 200                        #this is the time describing how long lilo will wait for action 
                                              #before booting to the default system, this is 20 seconds
delay = 30                             # i forgot what was that used for ^.^ look at /sample/lilo.sample.conf
                                              #for into a lilo.sample.conf for the explanation

#end of user-interface section

# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset

# End LILO global section

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image="/boot/vmlinuz"
	root="/dev/hda2"
	label="Slack"
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
The things that you should change are the values that are stored at my #User-interface# section the rest of file should not be changed unless you really know what are you doing or in case of changing: boot-program place or systems that you want to boot from lilo.

If any value referring to the user-interface does not exist just add it and if any it not appeared comment it out.
I was basing on /sample/lilo.sample.conf which is provided with the package so it should work.

After you make this, type
Code:
lilo
what will reload the config file.
[note] Lilo automatically parses the config file, so if you made any typos or sth like that it won't reload the file. So if every other boot option is set up properly it should boot.

If every thing went good it should print
Code:
Added name_of_your_system_label_from_lilo.conf *
III. The final
Just reboot, and i hope you'll enjoy your new graphical system-choose screen

IV. Post Scriptum
Here i'd like to explain what i think about the missing files and other errors.
So as i read in the man lilo, man lilo.conf and lilo.sample.conf form the lilo-22.5.9 package the syntax that shilo presented
Code:
install = boot-bmp.b
is deprecated in current version of lilo, what means it will work but it is advised NOT to use it.
So the lilo-22.5.9 may not need it in the /boot directory, but if it is there the old syntax will work like in shilo's case.
I'm sure that ./QuickInst makes some *.b files and one of them is named bitmap.b but mine /boot dir looks like this

Code:
drwxr-xr-x    2 root         4096 Jun 10 04:44 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root         4096 Jun 10 04:20 ..
-rw-------    1 root        47104 Jun 10 04:44 .map
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root           21 Dec 13 18:09 System.map -> System.map-ide-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root       609166 Sep  3  2003 System.map-ide-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root          512 Jun 10 02:45 boot.0300
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root           17 Dec 13 18:09 config -> config-ide-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root        38645 Sep  3  2003 config-ide-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root         5032 Jun 10 04:28 diag1.img
-rw-r--r--    1 root        19786 Jun 10 03:10 ins64a.bmp
-rwxr--r--    1 luk32         138 Jun 10 03:10 ins64a.dat
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root           18 Dec 13 18:09 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root      1226706 Sep  3  2003 vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22
so as you can i have no any *.b file too, and since, as i said, it's written in
Code:
man lilo.conf
there are 3 option that may be assigned to install:
text - just plain console [old ones ver of lilo (as i have read)]
menu - text menu [default now]
bmp - that's what we are aiming at

That'd explain the question of missing file, since it may appear but it's not needed.

I hope i helped to solve the problem.
I'd appreciate if some one checked it step-by-step, i can't do it now, 'coz i doubt installing old lilo and getting it upgraded is a good idea ^.^ .

I also hope that this text is more understandable than my previous post and i'd like to excuse everyone for my English u.u".

OK it's 0522 here and i worked over it mare than 2h, so if anything still is strange to understand just post it or contact me and i'll try to clear it. Now I am going to play a game ^.^

Greetz, LUK32 !!!

Last edited by luk32; 06-09-2004 at 10:25 PM.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #205
rivang

Distribution: Slackware 10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Great... I see this is now a sticky...

Old 06-12-2004, 08:41 PM   #206
jesselong
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake

Quote:
Originally posted by shilo
JonCooperUK- There's a few thing you're gonna have to do if you want to use that picture. I never have made my own picture, which is kinda like what your gonna have to do. Hope you're better at GIMP than me.

7) Change the line that says
Code:
bitmap = /boot/logo64a.bmp
to
Code:
bitmap = /boot/WhateverYouNamedYourNewFile.bmp
on MDK you can use the lilo-bmp2mdk to create boot messages from 1024x768 bmp (128 color). cat /usr/share/doc/bootsplash*/README

for this you wouldn't use bitmap=whatever, instead,, use message=whatever...

Old 06-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #207
shilo

Original Poster
jesselong-

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get some time and try that out. If anyone else has some success with this, please let everyone know.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:26 AM   #208
golondrino
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware, Knoppix, Slack

I made my own img and put it in the boot. Its not a GREAT image, only a black screen with a tux sorrounded by a green ligth. The hardest part was positioning the timer. And be careful with the color palette, its a little tricky.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #209
Genesee

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
Shilo -
(and the other contributors)

Great job!

thanks for your efforts - I'll be checking this thread and your site, and contribute if I can.

one thing I noticed: if you do a swaret --upgrade to current as mentioned on the site, you'll now install Xorg (6.7 I think?) - that may introduce other/new steps that may need mentioning (for ex, it uses /etc/xorg.conf by default) but I haven't played around with it enough yet...

Last edited by Genesee; 06-14-2004 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #210
shilo

Original Poster
Genesee-

Thanks for the post. You are correct. I need to er-wriet a bit. I worked around that issue by using Dropline to upgrade to xorg after I had already configured xfree86. The config files were just copied over. I do need to add a section on using the proper tools, though.

golondrino-

Good tip. Not much of an artisit myself, so I just use ones I find.

Tags
kernel