LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2003, 03:22 AM   #1
sln
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question smart_host configuration in sendmail.mc

Hello

I am trying to configure sendmail “smart_host with authentication” on a RedHat 7.2 mail server. I have an ISP that is blocking port 25 and I cannot send emails from my server. I am trying to configure sendmail my mail server to relay its mail to my ISP’s mail server. I want my ISP’s mail server to think it is receiving mail from an email client configured to send mail to their email server. I am looking for configuration examples if possible using sendmail.mc to create a new sendmail.cf file. I think I need to use smart_host to relay mail (not sure) but I am a little weak on this configuration. I also need help in configuring sendmail to authenticate to the ISP server to think it is mail coming from me.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-01-2003, 05:05 AM   #2
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Yes, you do need to use smarthost. That way your server will act like a client when sending email out and it will work with your ISP. Just make sure the servername is correct and you should be ok.

sendmail.mc

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.yourisp.com')

sendmail.cf

DSsmtp.yourisp.com

Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
sln
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, but..
Yes I can see now how I need to configure the smart host in sendmail.ms, but what about the user name and password. If sendmail is acting as a client of sorts in this case don't I need to provide a user name and password for smart_host with authentication? Doen't the ISP smpt server expect some sort of authentication?

Thanks
Steve

Old 12-01-2003, 10:48 PM   #4
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

No, smtp does not normally use authentication. They will have it configured to allow relay from their block of addresses. Your's would be one of them.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
sln
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
This is a little messages to convey copious amounts of satisfaction to Linux Questions and David Phillips for taking the time to help out a linux colleague.. If you only knew how many headaches I have gone through trying to find a way around my ISP blocking port 25. Ouch it hurt!

Anyway, thanks again.
Steve

Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 AM   #6
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Cool