LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Billy Bob 1981

Distribution: MDK9.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy affero/bounty for successful install of MDK 9.2

i feel pretty silly asking this, but im just not understanding my linux. i tend to be a hands on learner. ive got mdk 9.2 installed up to the bootloader. i DID have a problem with it stalling on a 'not enough mem press any key' screen. thats over with. i looked for a book (even on the mdk site) on installing the distro; latest version was a how to 7.2.

heres the warrant
wanted; experienced linux user comfortable with my setup.
phone cards supplied if needed for tech support.
will pay at least 50 bucks and no more than my xp professional copy.
50 bucks being a line of code i need to type in.

no, im quite serioius. im too stressed to get so many hit/misses in this thing.
i just want a break, and i want to show my family how much weve been getting screwed by "the man on the hill" all these years. i dont get to see my family but once every year or so. i would really appreciate it if i could get this going before dec 28. my brother is a programmer without any direction. i think linux would give him what he needs. its my present to him.

thanks,
have a happy xmas/haunakah.

Old 11-30-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
/bin/bash

Distribution: Mandrake Slackware-current QNX4.25

Rep: Reputation: 47
You can get all the help you need for free right here. There is also IRC, irc.freenode.net #linuxhelp is a good place to go.

What seems to be the problem? You get to the bootloader install/configure then what happens?

Old 11-30-2003, 12:45 AM   #3
/bin/bash

Documentation should be on CD#1, look for install.htm.

Don't forget to go here to check your hardware for compatibility.

Old 11-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Billy Bob 1981

Original Poster
i tried all the (3) bootloaders that came with the distro. i get a blank screen now, just like when i tried to install redhat. i cant even look at a console because none of my alt+fx keys work.

i tried to put the bootloader on a windows native drive, and ugh... lilo was hardcore text only, grub graphic was not graphic, and lilo looked normal. however, they all 3 revealed that something was wrong with my mem. i wrote all of it down in another thread...

now ive decided to switch to hdb (linux) bootloader lilo. appears to work fine. but doesnt.

Quote:
i got MDK9.2 installed correctly, i think, but on initial reboot, heres what happens
using grub .92? the list is:

linux, linux-nonFB, linux-enterprise, windows, floppy, old_linux-nonfb, failsafe

choosing ANY of these other than windows and linux-enterprise reveals this:

Booting 2' linux-nonfb' or whatever

Kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=dev/hdb1 failsafe devfs=nomount splash=silent {next line}
splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hdb5 mem=896 vga=788 {next line}
[linux-bzimage, setup=0x1400, size=0x146b3b] initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img {next line}
[linux-initrd @ 0xfffa5000, 0x4b244 bytes

Error 228: selected item cannot fit into memory

any key.....
hehe in other news, i just turned off the flashy asus logo just before my post. its been giving me trouble getting to post. you have to be quite fast. in turning it off, i realised that it simply was a graphic while my memchecker was doing its buisiness. memchecker said 1024 ddr something, single channel. my board has a dual channel feature, maybe thats why linux kept on detecting 896m ram.

to the batcave!

Old 11-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Billy Bob 1981

Original Poster
also, ive already done the hardware testing, all checks out. (just not when you put them together

ive been trying to get an irc going. ive got the plugin jabberzilla on. when i click on the only new option under tools jabberzilla, add panel; the panel comes up blank.

the chatzilla under window, has a new function now too. it locks up. before it did nothing.

Last edited by Billy Bob 1981; 11-30-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Old 11-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Billy Bob 1981

Original Poster
this is gate's doing. with all of the important people in the world being assassinated throughout history, why not him? no i dont own any guns. ironic me being from kentucky.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
/bin/bash

Your Motherboard (Asus A7N8X) is OK, the video card (GForce FX5600) is OK, we all know nvidia chipset works flawlessly and no one ever has a problem with that . I couldn't find the RAID controller? But I would agree that the system should run Linux. If you can install Linux then you most likely can run it.

In your kernel append statements I see these mem=896 vga=788 The mem=896 s/b mem=896m, I think it is telling the kernel you only have 896bytes. And the vga=788 could be causing the blank screen. You need to pass the kernel these instead: vga=ask mem=896m

If you were using lilo bootloader you would just hit <Esc> at the menu and type this:
linux vga=ask mem=800m

I'm not sure how you would do that in grub but I'll look around.