LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Distribution: cd

Rep: Reputation: 0
Debian cd Install not recognizing my scsi - wd 160 gig drive

it's a 160 gig western digital wdcwd1600JB. i am using it with the ultra ATA controller <thinks this may be the issue> :/.

Now, I have partitioned it into an f: <my XP archival> and a g: using standard xp disc utilities. f: is 110 gig and g: is 30+. it was my intention to use it <g:> in a duel boot config.

anyway... XP recognizes it.. and i can read and write to it with no issues. But it does not show up as an option when i am in the partition disk menu of the debian install. I am assuming it <f:> would/should as /dev/sda and <g:> as /dev/sdb??

any ideas on how i might change this? one thought i had was to wipe it clean again but would rather not as I am already using one of the partitions as my archival. But! i certainly will if that's what's needed and/or called for here!

And if it's because the ultra drivers are not available to recognize it?? <another brillant noob deduction on my part :/>... how can i make that happen? <thinks Really hard> hmmm... would making a boot area within the free space on my c: drive by an option? without destroying my XP system?

Thanks for any and all advice!,

toadlilly

Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 AM   #2
adz

Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 53
Which method are you using to install debian? I assume you're using the debian woody CDs but what are you typing at the "boot:" prompt. Most people type "vanilla" or just press enter. If you type "bf24" then it may work out better for you. It's a newer kernel.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
kk... will give that a try thanks for the tip! i'll get back here and let you know....

Old 10-16-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
bah :<

tried all boot options stated... linux, bf24 <interestinigly enough, bf24 would not recognize my keyboard at all>, vanilla, compact and enter. I have a dell 8250... 6 month old...standard xp etc..etc..

i am using debian 3.0 R1 i386 cd's from AACDS.com.

as it scrolls through before reaching the gnu install menu, i can see the scsi identified... man i wish i had a way of pausing this stuff.. at least i could identify which /dev it is using for the SCSI...

any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Old 10-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
found out a few things about promise 33/66/100 ultra ata controllers and debian... the most helpful i think i will try next is from this thread...

Iīve the same board installed.
> You just can boot either Windows or from your Debian CDs. In windows use the Systeminformation programm (win98) to finds out the E/A and IRQ Values the controller uses. The same things can be looked up under Linux ind the /proc/pci file, which i find is more clear to see. I use the biggest and the third biggest E/A numbers. When you have got these numbers you type into the
linux boot prompt:
linux ide2=0x<value>, 0x<value>, <IRQvalue>
(at my system linux ide2=0x8800, 0x8000, 10)
after that the kernel should be able to find the hdd. You can append this line to your lilo.conf. Take care with new PnP devices. I installed a new soundcard after linux was running, and the E/A values of the Promise controller had been changed, and i couldnīt boot linux again until deinstalling the card, booting
linux,disabling or changing the append line in lilo.conf and booting with the new values.

i'll tinker with this idea some...will post if/when i am successful...:/

or........ is there a way to exit from the partition menu and get to console? can i input a dev path from there that would be used?

Last edited by toadlilly; 10-16-2003 at 05:15 PM.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
adz

Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 53
If all that fails you can do a knoppix install. Get knoppix, it's got some of the best autodetection I've ever seen and then either pillage the set vaules or just do a straight install.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:39 PM   #7
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
hehe... thanks, will give it Good consideration...<Good = at the point where i am about ready to die from thrist and hunger after sitting here stubbornly <stupidly> determined to get this>

I did get to console <Alt F2> and can switch back and forth to gnu menu <alt F1>.... and so i can see all the goodies.... wish i could just toss info into /etc/fstab or... <tries despertly to engage the old gray hp-ux matter in her brain from her old sys admin days... whats that file i can insert devices in???...!!>

but i am closer!!

i did send an email to psychoholic.... he had the same issues a few months back... his thread is at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=56663

Last edited by toadlilly; 10-16-2003 at 07:54 PM.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:41 PM   #8
toadlilly
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
so... i can see 'how' i need to get some ultra modules from floppies... and also see what a grind it is to create them with rawrite... ugh

http://people.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/

and....so... i thought if... IF... i could get my keyboard recognized when i boot: bf24 the modules arent required <i can see bf24 picks up on the hdb and hdc drives on my ultra100 card YEA!!!!>

and... so... i tried

boot: bf24 bootkbd=qwerty/us

and *sigh* no luck.... why all other boot scenarios WILL recognize my keyboard is beyond me at this stage....LOL

bleh... tired... and will start a new post that speaks to just the keyboard issue

thanks for the responses all!