LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
jano31coa
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question choosing the right web browser

Hi,
I'm new to linux, and I'm wondering things !

I use Mandrake 9.1, and I wonder which web browser should I using. Could you give me your opinion and explain why ? In fact, I want one which can work with shockplay games, I think there it'll make the difference : shockplay.com I'm unable to play pingis neither with mozilla, netscape nor konqueror. Or maybe there is a plugin to install or something ?

Thanks and sorry for my english, I'm french..

John

Old 08-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
Kermet
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian 3.0 r0 Woody

I prefer Opera...i tried Mozilla and Konqueror too, but i think that Opera visualizes the sites best than the other two, and is very nice-looking too!

Old 08-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #3
contrasutra
LQ Guru

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 47
if "shockplay" uses Shockwave, you cant use Shockwave in Linux. There's no plugin. There are flash and Java plugins though.

Use whatever browser you want. Mozilla is the standard, Konqueror integrates well with KDE, Galeon with GNOME.

I like Mozilla Firebird, its a light version of Mozilla.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
m_yates

Distribution: Debian, Mint, Mythbuntu

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
You need a shockwave plug in. Unfortunately, I don't think macromedia makes a shockwave plugin for Linux. Otherwise, mozilla works best for most websites. Opera and Firebird are faster and work well too.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
Bobmeister

Distribution: Fedora Core 2, SuSE 9.1 Professional

Rep: Reputation: 30
Which browser to use is asking people like what car they like!

I like Mozilla because I use it in both Windows and Linux. It plays very well with Flash but you have to install the plug-in.

Opera works on Linux too and many people like it. There are plenty to choose from.

About Flash, you can get the .tar.gz from macromedia.

You will find a read-me or installation instructions in one of the five or so unzipped files.

It is a script install and all you need to know is where your mozilla plugins directory is.

The script will run your through the install and it's automatic.

Alternatively, you can take the two plug-in files unzipped (the ones that aren't text files) and just copy them into your Mozilla plug-ins folder and Flash will work like a charm. It's two files though. I would recommend just running the install script:

#./installer......blah blah...whatever the file is named

Make sure you are root as it will be a global installation.

Have fun....you will love playing flash games in linux and the computer not locking up on you....

Old 08-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Kermet
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian 3.0 r0 Woody

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobmeister
Which browser to use is asking people like what car they like!

About Flash, you can get the .tar.gz from macromedia.

You will find a read-me or installation instructions in one of the five or so unzipped files.

It is a script install and all you need to know is where your mozilla plugins directory is.

The script will run your through the install and it's automatic.

#./installer......blah blah...whatever the file is named

I've installed it...it's VERY easy: a wizard guide you and let you choose your browser(netscape, opera or mozilla) and then it installs the required files in browser's plugin directory, automatically detecting them!

Old 08-30-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
v3rb0

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
mozilla firebird 4evaa

i don't like opera because it isn't freeware.

Old 08-30-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
wr3ck3d

Distribution: NetBSD, Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 31
flash and shockware aren't the same thing.

There is not shackwave for linux, but you can use crossover plugin(wine) and use the windows shockwave. Also along with crossover plugin you can have windows media player, quicktime, trillian pro, and a whole bunch of other things supported. You can also install other stuff that isnt supported in the wine enviroment. Has opengl too, I was playing counter-strike with it just for kicks. Its pretty costly though. 35 usd.

For browser, I like opera the best since its speed cannot be touched. For backup I use firebird.

There basically are just the netscape browsers (mozilla, firebird etc) Opera, konqueror and a few text browsers.

Old 08-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
shermang

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

Mozilla is quite nice, but takes a long time load if not cached and rendering speeds aren't comparable to lighter browsers. The Mozilla Mail/irc/chat whatever might be of use to you though.

Opera is very fast, not freeware though; there's a standard size banner add in your toolbar to the right, not flashy or annoying but it's there.

Firebird is also very fast, I prefer it personaly just because it's a very well made streamline browser made my Mozilla and I love Mozilla. I would use it more if only I could find a way to open more than one window with the same profile...

Konq...well I don't know why anyone would use this for web browsing. It's slower rendering, loading, closing that other browsers. It also renders some pages funny and the built in antiailiasing can be a bit much(I think they OVER-did it).

I suggest using Firebird, it will serve you well(learn to use tabs, productivity++)

Old 08-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #10
megaspaz

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 46
experiment with all of them. i have a feeling that there's some hardware issues with browsers in linux. for example konq works the best on my laptop. all other browsers like netscape, mozilla, firebird, and opera have a problem with playing sound (like mp3's on xmms) and loading pages with flash movies that have sound also. the page loading will freeze and those browsers will be unresponsive for a good 3-5 minutes. konq doesn't suffer from this on my laptop. and the new versions of opera are just atrocious on my laptop even just running the browser without any music going on. i can't even get to the opera forums since opera will just about freeze and cause major hard drive thrashing with virtual swapping going on like crazy. i've crashed X because opera used all the virtual mem (1.5 GB) and then still tried to use more and the opera forums still wouldn't load. but the above poster is right in that it does load pages slower than the others and it's css2 support isn't as mature as the others. but i'm most definately in the minority here since i don't think you'll have hardware issues if running a desktop box, so again, just try out all the browsers and use the one that you like best.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #11
randomblast

Distribution: Gentoo/SuSE 9.0

personally i use opera, i can't survive without mouse gestures nowadays and i cvan live with the ad, also supports skinning

Old 10-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #12
Jan_73
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat Linux 9.0 (Shrike)

I am using Netscape 7.1 in linux. Flash is automatically installed and is actually the same as mozilla, only the looks !
netscape 7.1 works fine here, pop-up blocking is included in netscape itself. also mail client, etc.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #13
chris_i386
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Deb3.0,RH9

@shermang:
I wrote this little script, that checks whether mozilla is already running,
and either starts up a new session, or sends a command to the running program
to open up a new window:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if `/usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla -remote "ping()" 2> /dev/null`;
#action if mozilla is running:
then /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla -remote "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)";
#action if mozilla is not running:
else /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla;
fi
As root do the following:
Save it as /usr/local/bin/mymozilla
or something that sounds good to you, and replace /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla whithin the script with the path
to your mozilla binary. You don't know it? Type which mozilla into the terminal, it will tell
you.
Then make it executable by running the command
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/mymozilla
and there you go.
You can then make a shortcut to your desktop and this way you always have as many
mozilla windows as you want, just with one click.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #14
pr1sg
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

if you want mouse gestures in Mozilla Firebird, check out the Extensions page... at least 2 extensions there

Old 10-14-2003, 10:13 PM   #15
Trinity22

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

Firebird, definitely. Nothing else like it.

trinity