LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
moosedaddy

Distribution: Debian Unstable

Rep: Reputation: 30
Unable to connect to internet via DLink DWL650+

This is my problem, I have the card working with the drivers from Sourceforge. I can ping the router and another machine connected to the router (DI614+). I can open a browser and type in the IP if the router and I can see the router set up page. The only thing I cannot do is connect to the internet.

I have a DSL modem conected to the DI614+ to another computer and to the wireless card.

When I do ifconfig I get all of the information of my connection, what concerns me is the MAC address is that of the LAN not that of the wireless MAC listed on the router stats.

When I boot my desk top into Mandrake 9.1 I looked at the resolv.conf file and entered that exactly into the resolv.conf file on the laptop which is also running Mandrake 9.1.

When I type in www.yahoo.com or www.google.com I get the error you do not have permissions to view this page.

I hope I gave enough information for someone to help.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
akaBeaVis
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slack 9.1,10 Mandrake 10,10.1, FedCore 2,3, Mepis 2004, Knoppix 3.6,3.7, SuSE 9.1, FreeBSD 5.2

Rep: Reputation: 45
What do you mean by "that of the LAN"? what device's MAC address is displayed on the ifconfig call for the DWL-650+?

here's mine using the 0.1g code:
Code:
# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:2F:05:44:D2
          inet addr:192.168.2.98  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:576  Metric:1
          RX packets:2080 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:666310 (650.6 Kb)  TX bytes:145656 (142.2 Kb)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4800
Note that the HWaddr is not quite right, there's an 08 where there should be an 03, this is going to be fixed they said.

Also, is this some kind of DNS permissions problem, or perhaps MAC filtering on the router?

Also, can you try this with links and wget, ie: links yahoo.com, wget cnet.com, etc. (from the console)

Last edited by akaBeaVis; 08-19-2003 at 04:09 PM.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
moosedaddy

Original Poster
akaBeaVis

I am still having problems getting on the internet. The little success I have had with the DWL-650 card was version C of the driver. The only way I can connect to the internet right now is thru windows. The only way I can download the version G driver is 1 file at a time and windows wants to save every thing as a .txt. So what I am trying to do is down load the driver in windows then rename files such as Makefile.txt to Makefile. Is there any way you could tar the latest driver and post it somewhere or email it to me. My email address is moosedaddy@hotmail.com

I tried to PM you this request but was unable to PM.

Thanks
Moosedaddy (Jeff)

Old 08-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #4
akaBeaVis
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slack 9.1,10 Mandrake 10,10.1, FedCore 2,3, Mepis 2004, Knoppix 3.6,3.7, SuSE 9.1, FreeBSD 5.2

Yes, give me 20 minutes from the time this thread is posted and the following link will work, this will be the last cvs I did, at least version 0.1g.

http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_01g_src.tar.gz

You're aware no doubt that somewhere along the way the set_debug module param disappeared so now the only way to do it is iwpriv <dev> set_debug 0x00, correction, the module parameter is still there, the name has changed from set_debug to debug. Also, this version wants a kernel param set that tells it where the firmware (*.BIN) files are located called firmware_dir, in my case this is /usr/local/src/acx100/firmware. The ifconfig MTU 576 requirement is still in effect.

The tarball will be without anything in the firmware directory, so move your stuff there, my firmware is for the smc card.

Last edited by akaBeaVis; 08-23-2003 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #5
moosedaddy

Original Poster
Thanks for posting the driver for me. But, it did not work. After I made the driver and modified the start_net script, I ran the script and it gave me many errors. I then ran iwconfig and received the error "no wireless extentions". So then I retried the "c" version I had. I ran the start script then tried to ping, nothing. I ran the start script a second time, then I could ping the router. I then tried to ping my ISP's DNS server and that worked! I opened Mozilla tried to open yahoo and Google, nothing. I added the router IP and the 2 DNS server IPs to the resolv.conf file and tried to open Yahoo again, It Worked!

So, in summary I am able to see my LAN and the internet without problems.

Thanks Again for all of you help!

moosedaddy (Jeff)

Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #6
akaBeaVis
LQ Guru

It was no problem at all. I personally don't use their scripts at all, so far with v0.1g the normal network setup stuff in mdk9.0 is sufficient, with the exception being a return from suspend which requires one or two iwconfig commmand of the type that turns the radio back on, ie: essid, key, those types. Other than that I'd say this driver is almost ready for prime-time.

So now we can say officially that the DWL_650+ is functional with the open source driver. If you run into anything that would indicate otherwise, or you get it working with a newer version than what you're using now, please post back.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #7
moosedaddy

Original Poster
I have just downloaded and installed the new "h" version of the driver. I am using the combined windows firmware APLUSMX.BIN. I followed the readme file and in less than 10 minutes I was surfing the web with the driver. I have the debuging turned off and I am having no problems.

Last edited by moosedaddy; 08-25-2003 at 10:45 PM.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:21 AM   #8
loopis
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hello. I am a brand new linux user can one of you point me the direction of the very basic of creating and installing the above driver. I understand the concept, just not familar enough with Linux yet. Thanks in advanced. - schrock

Old 08-27-2003, 08:40 AM   #9
moosedaddy

Original Poster
If you follow the readme with the driver you should be just fine. The readme is very good. The only thing you may need is the driver from Dlink, I am using the older combined drivers ( version 2.9 I think) the files are AIRPLUS.BIN and APLUSMX.BIN depending upon which radio is in your card, my card is the Maxum radio so I am using APLUSMX.BIN.

Once you download the driver and copy the correct windows driver to the firmware directory all you should have to do is type "make" (no quotes) as root in the acx100 directory, then modify the start_net script in the scripts directory. All that is left is run the start_net script from the script directory as root.

Old 11-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
pdepass
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
moosedaddy,

How can you tell which radio your card uses?

What influenced you to use the older combined drivers (AIRPLUS.BIN APLUSMX.BIN) and now the newer drivers (WLANGEN.BIN, RADIO0d.BIN and RADIO11.BIN)

Or, have you tried the newer drivers (and had problems??)

I've been using the new firmware and have been having nothing but problem after problem. Maybe you can shed some light!

-Phil