LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
Zema Bus
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Arch, ArcoLinux, Slackware, Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Mandrake 9.1 and DSL/Networking?

I've been experimenting with Linux (mostly LM) on and off for several years, but this is my 1st try at getting it to network with my other systems (all win2K) on the network and, most importantly, the DSL connection. In Win2K it's pretty straight forward but I'm stumped trying to do the samething in LM. Is there a set of simple general instructions for doing this? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2003, 11:49 PM   #2
Scruff

Distribution: Gentoo x86_64 & PPC

Rep: Reputation: 30
Here's how I got my DSL connection up in Mandrake 9.1:

I used the Mandrake Control Center, went through "Network and Internet", then "DrakConnect". I then used to wizard to get through the setup. It had the LAN box checked by default. I unchecked it, and chose ADSL. Then, PPOE for the connection method (this may vary by provider). Then, I typed verizon.net in the provider spot, my username and password in their respective spaces, then I let it test my connection. I got an error saying it could not connect and I chose "finish". Right after that, I hit the connect button and it connected. All is good. I also chose the "connect at boot" option so my connection is started at every boot.

This was actually the easiet net configuration I have ever had in Linux.
Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2003, 12:14 AM   #3
Zema Bus
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Arch, ArcoLinux, Slackware, Manjaro

Original Poster
Thanks Scruff! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
mks
LQ Newbie

Worked the same way for me too :-)
And I actually managed to configure the ADSL-conection in the installation too. Worked the same instant I first booted my Mandrake.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
novice gamer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

Hey im using verizon also but thats not workin for me it keeps not connecting help plz

Old 08-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
novice gamer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

When i have cobasule open and run drake connect i see this =\
[root@localhost admin]# drakconnect
unable to take medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (disk1)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 1 (x86) (disk1)] exists
unable to take medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (disk2)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 2 (x86) (disk2)] exists
unable to take medium "International CD (x86) (disk3)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.International CD (x86) (disk3)] exists
no package named rp-pppoe
Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Setting network parameters: [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]

GLib-CRITICAL **: file gmain.c: line 500 (g_source_remove): assertion `tag > 0' failed.
SIOCDELRT: No such process
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cnx_up: line 3: /usr/sbin/adsl-start: No such file or directory

Old 09-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
WhiteChedda

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1 for now

Quote:
Originally posted by novice gamer
Hey im using verizon also but thats not workin for me it keeps not connecting help plz
Describe your network, From what I read you have multiple computers connected to your DSL service, this is usually done via router. In which case the PPPOE connection is handled by the router and not the individual boxes.

Maybe you can describe how you set up the w2k boxes if nothing else to give us an idea of how your network works..

Old 09-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
s_raghu20
LQ Newbie

friends,

I have a P4, with mandrake 9.1 and ADSL USB modem from Asus (ASUS AAM 6000UG ). The connection is from Belgacom (Belgium)

When i go through the drakeConnect, it says connection failed.

has anybody faced it earlier..

help needed...

raghav..

Last edited by s_raghu20; 09-01-2003 at 01:26 PM.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
bigVoice

Distribution: Mandrake 10

Well, this is a total shot in the dark... but when I initially had trouble getting my DSL to work, I threw the manufacturer's CD into my drive. Everything on the box and CD indicated that it was Windows only, but lo and behold, if you dug around for awhile there was a folder in "drivers" called "linux".

Inside the folder were 'beta' drivers and instructions for getting it working. I since discovered that the advice from earlier this thread would also have worked. Since it doesn't appear to be working for you, try any CDs that came with the hardware.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #10
rolf

Distribution: Mageia 5 x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by novice gamer
When i have cobasule open and run drake connect i see this =\
[root@localhost admin]# drakconnect
unable to take medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (disk1)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 1 (x86) (disk1)] exists
unable to take medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (disk2)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 2 (x86) (disk2)] exists
unable to take medium "International CD (x86) (disk3)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.International CD (x86) (disk3)] exists
There is a way to configure your install CD's as sources, as root, on the command line. I don't know what happened in your case but I have seen this before. First, make sure the urpmi media sources configuration starts at a clean configuration:

urpmi.removemedia -a

Then, put CD1 in the reader and do:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib removable://mnt/cdrom/

Adjust the mount point to be the mount point of your reader.