LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
fstreed

Distribution: SuSE 11.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
GeForce4 MX440 problems

When I installed Mandrake 9.0 and SuSE 8.0 they properly detected my video card and loaded a driver that worked. However Lycoris absolutely does not work with the GeForce4 MX 440. I tried installing it as "generic AGP" and several other drivers listed for the nVidia geforce series but none seem to work.

Last night I tried installing Red Hat 8.0 and it seems to have the same problem. Does anyone know a way around this? Is there another driver listed in the RH install list of drivers that will work? I really want to try Red Hat and see how it compares to SuSE and Mandrake.

Old 01-23-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
jkrohn

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake

It looks to me like you are going to need to grab teh drivers from NVidias site.

Grab the tarballs or the RPM's, your choice. Just make sure to read the documentation and edit XF86Config as the instructions say to.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
bulliver

Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4

Rep: Reputation: 78
Well, the nVIDIA does work out of the box, but without the graphics acceleration. The driver is called nv. Didn't your card get autodetected during installation? It's pretty common and mine was detected.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
fstreed

Original Poster
Red Hat did detect the card but when I tried to boot the first time it wouldn't start the GUI. I will try to install it again in a day or two. Lycoris doesn't list a driver for that card and I have tried it with several other drivers but none seem to work.

Old 01-25-2003, 12:24 PM   #5
fstreed

Original Poster
I worked it out, at least in Red Hat. It seems the so called GeFORCE 4 MX series of graphics cards are actually the GeForce 2, not a true GeForce 4. The real thing costs a couple hundred bucks or more, this card costs about $50-$80 and has a "MX" in the name. Apparently nVidia decided they would sell better if they renamed them. Anyway, Red Hat would detect it as a GeForce 4 but that driver don't work, since it ain't really a GeForce 4, so I loaded the GeForce 2 driver and everything works great.

Now if I can just get it working with Lycoris...