LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
redfedora88

Distribution: SuSE 9.1 Personal

Rep: Reputation: 15
frontpage equivalent

I'm looking for a microsoft frontpage 2003 equivalent. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
nvu or mozilla is as close as they come but why would you want a Frontpage equivalent? Frontpage is probably the most horrible html/web page design software made since wysiwyg editor's came around..

Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
Anything is better than FP.

Learn how to code to W3C standards:
W3Schools is the largest "FREE" web developers site on the net. Learn with: (a) Full Web Building Tutorials; (b) Full Web Building References; and (c) Thousands of cut-and-paste - Try-It-Yourself On-Line Examples.

Validate your page:
The W3C Markup Validation Service
HTML Tidy Online

Helpful HTML coding websites:
HTML Goodies
Webmonkey: The Web Developer's Resource
HTML: An Interactive Tutorial
NCSA--A Beginner's Guide to HTML

Use the proper W3C Tools (replacements for Front Page, MS Publisher and others):
W3C Amaya
Amaya is a complete online web browsing and authoring environment and comes equipped with a WYSIWYG style of interface, similar to that of the most popular commercial browsers. With such an interface, users do not need to know the HTML or CSS languages.
NVU
NVU (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
Quanta Plus.
Quanta Plus is a web development tool for the GNU/Linux K Desktop Environment. Quanta is designed for quick web development and is rapidly becoming a mature editor with a number of great features and lies at the heart of the KDE Web Dev suite of tools.
Bluefish
Bluefish is a powerful editor for experienced web designers and programmers.
Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages, but it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites.
Mozilla Composer
Mozilla's HTML editor keeps getting better with dynamic image and table resizing, quick insert and delete of table cells, improved CSS support, and support for positioned layers. For all your simple documents and website projects, Composer is all you need.
SCREEM
Screem is a web development environment. It's purpose is to increase productivity when constructing a site, by providing quick access to commonly used features. While it is written for use with the GNOME desktop environment in mind it does not specifically require you to be running it, just have the libraries installed.
Unlike most other HTML editors SCREEM does not provide a WYSIWYG display of pages. Instead you are presented with the raw html source in its editor window.
Scite
SciTE is a GUI-based single-document editor which uses the Scintilla editor component. It rapidly styles most common programming languages with good control over how syntactic elements are displayed, and features folding for C++, C, Java, JavaScript, and Python. Styling of HTML also styles embedded scripts written in VBScript, Javascript, or Python.
OpenOffice Webwriter:
OOWeb is a WYSIWYG web site design tool, part of the OpenOffice suite. It has features very similar to that of Microsoft's FrontPage.

Last edited by craigevil; 08-30-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
redfedora88

Distribution: SuSE 9.1 Personal

Original Poster
FB is what we use to do the school website, and I wanted something as closely related as possible.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by redfedora88
FB is what we use to do the school website, and I wanted something as closely related as possible.
Just cause it's used doesn't mean you can't change that or follow what others used.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
aldimeneira

Distribution: Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Just cause it's used doesn't mean you can't change that or follow what others used.
I agree. Isn't FP one of those editors that ad not-standarized html code?

What about Flash, are there any programs for Linux?

Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
shengchieh

Distribution: #! Korora

Rep: Reputation: 30
> What about Flash, are there any programs for Linux?

http://f4l.sourceforge.net/ (non-commercial; SWF Writer)
http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/ (non-commercial; GPLFlash )

Sheng-Chieh

Old 08-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
nukey

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
A frontpage equivalent ? , that would be like starting notepad and fast and randomly hit your keyboard, seriously, frontpage leaves such a mess when your finished your webpage.

But in fact, notepad (or any text editor) would be the best website-editor, but yes, I understand it could take a while before you're done ;-)

I use NVU (available for both windows and linux).
Quanta is nice too.

I write php mostly with notepad/vi

haven't tried the others craigevil suggested, but I sure will.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
OregonJohn
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Nvu works great for me. They have just distributed v 1.0 so it is finally stable.

Nvu Homepage

It didn't take me very long to learn where things are. If you have a basic understanding of images, fonts, tables and various other web design things you should be editing and creating in no time at all.