LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
hottdogg

Distribution: opensuse ,debian/ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
NTFS resizing..accomplished

Yesterday, I just resized(expanded) my NTFS partition from 7GB to 10GB in 40GB HDD using linux Rescue Is Possible(RIP)
live cd. Now, the free space from my hdd is decreased to 30GB. The only mistakes (2 times) happen is because the
different byte size measurement between windows, linux fdisk , ntfsresize. But that's not a big prob.
So, you may end up resizing more than once (like me) if you aren't that lucky.

IF you want to resize ntfs partition, RIP is a great tool.
And use the cd version as it provides the most complete tools.
The reason I like RIP for ntfs resizing is because I think
it's the only linux live CD that use the most current stable
version of ntfsresize.
Just download Linux RIP iso image (google: linux Rescue Is Possible ) and burn it.
NOTE:I must renamed the downloaded RIP from *.iso.bin to *.iso so my nero 6 can burn it as an iso image.
If you have to burn it with cdrecord maybe you don't have to rename it. I dunno.

Before you resize, backup your existing data.I said, BACKUP your existing data! That's an order!
Read ntfsresize.txt in Linux RIP CD. It describes example of shrinking ntfs.
And dont forget 'man ntfsresize' 'man fdisk'.
The fundamental difference between shrinking and xpanding is:
When shrinking,
first, you shrink the ntfs filesystem to your desired size with ntfsresize
second, shrink the partition to your ntfs size with fdisk.
(Don't let ntfs bigger than the partition where it resides).

and for expanding,
first, you expand the partition to your desired size with fdisk
second, you expand the ntfs filesystem with ntfsresize to the partition size.

After you do it correctly, windows might want to restart 2 times. Let it be.
The first, after chkdsk. Second, after found new h/w or something. There you go,
newly resized ntfs partition with just cost of download and blank cd-r.

When I mentioned expand/shrink with fdisk it means that you delete first the partition
where the ntfs resides (DON'T WORRY, your ntfs isn't gone) and then enter the new size of
that partition. Not literally resizing. Oh..1 more thing, AFAIK parted doesn't have ntfs support yet.

TO make it safe, DOn't reboot if you haven't completed those BOTH 2 fundamental steps.fyi, after first attempt of resizing, my win stated
9,78 GB of HD. So, i go to RIP again. made a mistake with fdisk to make a whole partition(40000MB something). Go to fdisk again few times ,tinkering input to make it to 10GB (or as close as possible). After I satisfied, I ran ntfsresize, tinkering size input (with -n option). After I satisfied, I ran ntfsresize w/o -n. -n is kinda test/simulation.
'man ntfsresize' please.

IMO, It's not highly recommended to use -n b4 real resizing. It's a NECESSARY, MANDATORY, a MUST,an ORDER to use -n b4 resizing !!

that's all. sorry for the lengthy

Disclaimer:I'm not responsible for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential
damages or damages for loss profits, revenue, data, incurred by you, arising from your action
taken directly or indirectly from the information above.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
sam_vde
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
You can also use diskpart from M$

Diskpart from M$ does the same, and works on both basic and dynamic disks.

Nice to see a linux alternative though

Rgds

Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
igu

Distribution: Fedora, Gentoo, SUSE, Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 15
Diskpart can't shrink non-destructively. Actually it can't even expand in some cases.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
sam_vde
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
RE: diskpart

I would NEVER shrink an NTFS partition...

There are some hotfixes concerning diskpart. But it is the supported M$ way our customers use (so far always worked fine). And it is online too.

Just to mention, no big deal. I use slack and lvm - talking about flexibility.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
igu

Distribution: Fedora, Gentoo, SUSE, Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 15
You should NEVER EVER use Diskpart to shrink NTFS because it's guaranteed that it will destroy your data!!! It simply wasn't intended to be used for lossless shrinking!

If you want safe and reliable non-destructive NTFS shrinking then you must use a software that was design and implemented for this purpose. Like the above described ntfsresize. Quite many imaging, installation and partitioning softwares use it internally. See e.g. here: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

We also use it intensively as part of our imaging, system cloning and backup/restores system and never had any problem :-) Something what I can't say about the expensive, commercial alternatives.

Last edited by igu; 08-19-2005 at 12:13 AM.