LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2004, 05:49 AM   #16
-X-

Distribution: Slackware, Red Hat, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 30

god, master, me... nah. Not near as smart as the ones I learn from here.
See, you've learned something. The dd command for FreeBSD is the same as the boot1 file. Since you are not using FreeBSD as your master boot loader, the boot selection menu has no effect.

swap: If you have enough ram and don't do a lot of big stuff in Linux, you'll be ok. If you start doing enough stuff that exceeds your ram and nowhere to swap to, well, you know what's going to happen.

Boot issues, thinking...........
Possibilities:
Didn't type the dd command right.
Didn't install the boot loader on /dev/hda3
Didn't create a menu.lst in /boot/grub/

If you can boot into Linux with your boot disk or CD try;
As root, reinstall grub as;
# grub-install /dev/hda3
There's another grub command for install I can't remember right now.

Make sure you have a /boot/grub/menu.lst with;

# Boot automatically after 30 seconds.
timeout 30

# Comment lines begin with '#'
#
# (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2
# (hd0,2) = /dev/hda3
# (hd0,2) refers to disk 0 (the first disk), and the third partition
#
title Linux-RedHat
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/<your kernel name here> ro root=/dev/hda3

Look in your /boot for the kernel name. Something like vmlinuz, or vmlinuz-2.4.something.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 AM   #17
-X-

Forgot something. After this, you'll need to do the dd command again and put bootsect.lnx on C:\

Also, since you're down the road a bit, might start another thread. And since FreeBSD is working, you really have only a Linux problem.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #18
mhykgyver

Distribution: Gentoo, Fedora, OpenSuSE,Slackware,DSL

Rep: Reputation: 16
uhmmm...u kinda' didn't get the FreeBSD thing...uhmmm, i did the dd part while i was in my old distro...it was in linux where i did the bootsect which l8r turned out 2 be 4 my FreeBSD...hehehehe...really don't know how it happened but i really thank God it did and, of course, u...master *worship, worship, worship*...just think of me as another student of urs whom u greatly helped...(i almost thought of quitting open source technology but when i managed 2 run FreeBSD with my windows OS', i got hooked and now i'm so in2 open source that i want 2 keep on learning and learning...)

about the thread thing...hmmm...yeah, i believe i need 2 start a new thread...just do promise u'll be there, k...

about RH9 and Grub...k, no prob here..i've done the grub-install b4(i was toying with my 2 distro's b4 and managed to run both of them at once, with my windows os' of course) but, then again, ur right...i didn't install grub in /dev/hda3(i installed it in my MBR and l8r overwritten it when i re-installed win2k3--- i could boot RH9 from my floppy, though, so i guess i'll install GRUB in2 /dev/hda3)...and for the menu.lst, no prob here...i toyed with it b4...so, my only prob would be GRUB in /dev/hda3...i'll be starting a new thread and i'll be waiting for ur help, guys...thank u all especially u, master -x- *worship,worship,worship*...

Old 09-01-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
-X-

yeah, I got it. In Linux you can dd any boot partition, which is what you did, but dd'd the FreeBSD partition.

I'm out of this thread.