LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
derfaust

Distribution: slack 9.1, 10, and 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
no mic in teamspeak

hello all.... i have searched about but could find no answer...

so...

i have no mic in teamspeak...it is installed fine.....my mic does work....i can manipulate the different volumes with alsamixer...but when i fire up teamspeak i can hear... i just cant talk...

it is like the mic is not there or something....but if turn up the mic in alsamixer i can hear the mic through my headset but it doesnt go through to teamspeak....

i read several posts saying that they had it working......how?.....i know somebody had had this problem...

i use TS in windows all the timeand it works flawlwssly...it is a great program...i even run a linux TS server....which works great...btw....

anyway...can anybody help me get TS working?

Last edited by derfaust; 07-22-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
gbonvehi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
Does your mic have the word CAPTUR on the top in alsamixer?

Btw, test your microphone with another program, try: rec test.wav
and then: play test.wav
that should work if your mic is working.

Also if your run KDE with default options arts will have it's own mixer settings.

Last edited by gbonvehi; 07-22-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:30 AM   #3
derfaust

Original Poster
man it was wierd....that capture bit was the deal....btw.....thanks...ROCK!!!

it works...but with a little slider love.....

but i keep getting this horrid feedback....this stuff could shatter teeth....i have experianced this headback twice with my headset on full blast...lol......i do pro audio recording as a living so i know what the hell a microphone is...lol

i have a soundblaster live...to complete the fix i ended up having to turn all these wierd channels down they are all called EMU10k1---does anybody know what they do????...

i type alsactl store....and i think everything is grovvy....no....lol....that damn squeal starts up when KDE does.....how do i stop that?.....and what in the do those channels do...

i ran alsamixer and kmix side by sude...one would affect the other...but not when i turned down/up all the channels labled 'EMU10K1'.....they would go up and down in alsamixer...but no noticble diff in kmix????...

hrmmm...

i got another one for ya....since you got those brain juices flowing and all

and by the way my TV card uses its own tuner for sound...how can i select and adjust the device....the tv always is very distorted...the channel in alsamixer for the SB live that affect s the volume is Aux....but all that does in turn the distortion up and down....if i use XawTV and turn down its volume to 75%...all is good...sounds great...i can then turn AUX to 100...and it sounds great...the card also has a FM radio(that is sweet).,....it also is very distorted(overdriven)..until i start XawTV and turn down its volume....which btw....doesnt seem to have any visible difference in any of the mixers....alsamixer...kmix...rexima...

odd...... dig

Last edited by derfaust; 07-23-2004 at 03:33 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
gbonvehi

I dunno what those channels are for, i never played with them, i'm sure you can learn about them in alsa documentation.
Do you want to take out KDE sounds? You should be able to do that on the Control Panel, i don't use KDE so i can't tell you exactly how.
To configure the volume levels for another card you should start alsamixer by typing: alsamixer -c 1
The first sound card is called 0, and so on, so the second that i assume is your tv card should be 1, i can't say i'm sure about this because i don't have 2 cards.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
derfaust

Original Poster
thanks for the reply.....one of the firtst things i did was turn off KDE's sounds....i hate system bells and shite like that.....lol

and i had also tried alsamixer -c0 as well as -c1....the only one that will come up is my soundblaster(which is c0...)....the alsamixer docs just tell you some simple controls and switches....this seems to be the issue....i know the tv card is /dev/video0....but i cant get it to where i can edit its values....

hrmmmm....???

thanks...anymore ideas?

Old 07-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
derfaust

Original Poster
thanks for the reply.....one of the firtst things i did was turn off KDE's sounds....i hate system bells and shite like that.....lol

and i had also tried alsamixer -c0 as well as -c1....the only one that will come up is my soundblaster(which is c0...)....the alsamixer docs just tell you some simple controls and switches....this seems to be the issue....i know the tv card is /dev/video0, /dev/vbi0, and /dev/radio0....but i cant get it to where i can edit its values....

hrmmmm....???

thanks...anymore ideas?

Last edited by derfaust; 07-23-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
gbonvehi

When you run alsaconfig do both sb live and tv card show up?

Old 07-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
derfaust

Original Poster
no....
i have not been able to get the TV card to come up anywhere....

the only way i can adjust the volume of the actual TV card's main audio stream is by using XawTV....once i turn XawTV'd volume down to 75% the audio strean is not distorted and i can then use the Aux control on the soundcard to turn up/down the TV card....

this is getting quite frustrating.......hrrrmmmph....

lol...

thanks bro, you ROCK!!!....keep 'em coming

cant wait to get it figured out....

Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
derfaust

Original Poster
alsamixer -c0 is the only one that will work.....if i try alsamixer -c1...it fails.....as do -c2, -c3, c4, -c5.....etc...(i tried damn near all of them....lol)..

could it be called something else....????

dmesg calls it /dev/video0, /dev/vbi0, and /dev/radio.....

hmmmm.....it is quite odd.... i have another TV card in another linux computer and it works wonderfully....the only control that adjusts its volume is th Line control...butit doesnt have the distortion problem....

it is just this TV card????....maybe that it has an FM radio in it????

dig....

Old 07-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
gbonvehi

I can't help you then, i've never used a TV Card so i dunno what else to recommend you. Maybe you should start another thread with this tv card topic on it.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
keefaz
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
What I did for my part is plug an audio mini jack between the output of tv card and line input of the sound blaster live, set capture accordingly in alsamixer in settings for my SBlive (alsaconf recognized just one card because I disabled audio tv when I compiled the kernel)

Old 03-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #12
01d55

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.1

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbonvehi
Does your mic have the word CAPTUR on the top in alsamixer?

Btw, test your microphone with another program, try: rec test.wav
and then: play test.wav
that should work if your mic is working.

Also if your run KDE with default options arts will have it's own mixer settings.
I have the same problem as the original posted did (can't get mic input in TeamSpeak) and rec text.wav > play text.wav nets me nothing but static.

I'm running the latest version of Fedora Core, haven't installed any extra sound programs except TS. I've turned on mic boost, unmuted microphone and turned on capture from mic.

EDIT: D'oh, I just noticed that this is the slackware forum (I found this thread using a search).

Last edited by 01d55; 03-29-2006 at 06:55 PM.