LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2017, 04:17 AM   #1
cheapcameras
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to purchase the right DSLR?

I am just looking for [link removed by moderator]. But, I do not know how to choose the most appropriate one to me. What are the traits that I have to consider? How do i are more guaranteed on my small expense in relation to this

Last edited by rtmistler; 03-07-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Remove Avertising Link

Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892
Reported as spam

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
The forum rules do not permit advertising. Please visit http://www.linuxquestions.org/advertising/ for more information on advertising. Feel free to contact the forum admin if you have any questions about this policy.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933Reputation: 3933
And if you want to treat this as a legitimate question about what's good in a digital SLR camera, I would say: lenses.

For instance, I still use a Nikon D-1X digital camera – it was the first digital model they made – because it is compatible with my large collection of – several thousand dollars worth of – Nikon lenses made for use with 35mm film. The image sensor in this camera is 28mm, almost the size of a 35mm slide, so the optics work with only a very slight reduction of image-space around the edges (and which is accounted-for by the viewfinder). Some of my friends who standardized their setups on, say, Canon equipment, did the same – although Canon has changed their lens-mount several times such that not all Canon-branded lenses fit on all Canon-branded cameras, and this was true in the film days as well. They bought digital to preserve their investment in glass.

It's really all about the lens, not the camera body with all its gadgetry. Any SLR is basically "a light-tight box with a shutter, that you attach removable lenses to." It is the lens, not the camera, that determines the images you can capture. I recommend that you buy lenses from the camera manufacturer, not a third party, even though the third-party lenses might cost less and/or seem to do more.

Every camera will have gee-gaws; more gee-gaws than you are ever likely to use, such that you should consider what features you will use. There are generally-speaking "consumer-grade" and "professional-grade" cameras. (My D1-X, for instance, was built for photojournalists.) You can expect both to be well-made. Consider battery life, and the ability to change battery packs in the field (as opposed to non-removable batteries ... never a good idea) ... that require the camera to be plugged-in to a wall socket. After all, when you run out of power, you run out of camera.

And finally, the ruggedness of the device! It's the stuff of legend that a photojournalist once knocked a mugger out with her camera. But you will drop the thing someday, and the camera should be able to take reasonable wear-and-tear and a certain amount of abuse without failing.

Finding a dealer in your area, and getting to know that dealer, is important when making a purchase such as this. I know of one dealer who also rents camera equipment, and he encourages potential buyers to "check it out over the weekend. Go shooting with it."

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-07-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
fido_dogstoyevsky

Distribution: Slackware 15

Rep: Reputation: 576Reputation: 576Reputation: 576Reputation: 576Reputation: 576Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
And if you want to treat this as a legitimate question about what's good in a digital SLR camera, I would say: lenses...
And everything else sundialsvcs said.

Basically, your choice of brands will be between Nikon and Canon; there are other manufacturers but none offers the same range of lenses.

Another important point is that the camera should be comfortable to use - not too big or small for your hands (you will notice the extra weight of an SLR but it won't really be a problem), controls where they are easy to find by touch, all relevant information easily visible in the viewfinder. This is where renting can show you what works best for you.