LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
nitecrawler

Distribution: slackware x86-64 14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
slackpkg update error

i had an error while doing slackpkg update to the current repo....

when i do a slackpkg update i get checksum.md5 error specifically
Code:
ERROR:Verification of the gpg signature on CHECKSUMS.MD5 failed! This could mean that the file has been tampered with or out of date.
so, i then proceeded to do a gpg update...
Code:
slackpkg update gpg
it works succesfully grabbing the latest key from slackware-current mirror

i had done a full system upgrade recently say a week back and my kernel had got updated too....from 3.10.7 or say to 3.18.11 specifically....

i had blacklisted alien packages and slackbuilds but forgot to blacklist my kernel....
as a result my kernel had got upgraded....

have i cluttered up my system because currently i have libraries from both 14.1 and current mirrors in a mix and match mode?

my objective from this thread:looking for a clean system upgraded to current..files for development in progress is ok....but i would like to know if i have followed the correct procedure?

thanks

Last edited by nitecrawler; 08-13-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Bear in mind that -current is neither a version nor a branch (as e.g. unstable or testing for Debian).

It's just a snapshot of what eventually will become the next stable version in some months.

Also there is no simple way to go back to 14.1 once you began updating using a -current mirror, and you should expect tentative instabilities or broken stuff that you will be on your own to cope with, as -current is provided only so that the next Slackware release can benefit of testing and feedback from the community during its development cycle.

Nothing and no one forbids you to run -current but then:
  • Don't do that on a production machine.
  • Be prepared to solve possible occurring issues with less help than you could get running a stable version.
  • Follow carefully the Slackware-current Changelog and update as soon as you see an update there. But first read it carefully to see what changes are included and take action accordingly.
  • During a development cycle, some packages are removed and other added. So after "slackpkg update" you should run "slackpkg install-new" and "slackpkg clean-system" (be careful with your custom packages) in addition to "slackpkg upgrade-all". To know more see http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:sla...:systemupgrade. Or do the updates individually using the standard Slackware tools (installpkg, ugradepkg, removepkg).
Also, be aware that the SlackBuilds provided @ http://slackbuilds.org are not intended for -current. They can work or fail on -current, as running custom packages previously installed.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 08-13-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typo fix.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
nitecrawler

Original Poster
yes i get those concerns mentioned there...but i would like to let you know that i am getting errors with the update....
maybe i should just stick with stable 14.1 for some more time till i get knowing the system and then jump to current...maybe i have boarded the ship a little too early....jumping the ship as always....

and i am not able to continue with the rest of the commands after slackpkg update because i get the error package is missing and it halts....

Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

First list what updates you have made since using a mirror to -current in /etc/slackpkg/mirrors. For instance you could do this:
Code:
ls -lt /var/log/packages > new.txt
ls -lt /var/log/removed_packages > old.txt
Then remove from these files all updates older than the date you changed the mirror to shorten them and include them (or a link to them through pastebin or similar) in your next post so we can figure out how you could fix your issue.

Of course, we also of course need to know exactly what errors you get so please copy/paste in your next these errors exactly as printed on the screen (or if you write "the_command_that_give_errors 2>errors.txt" the file errors.txt will have gathered all errors and you can just copy/paste its content here).

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 08-13-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Last paragraph added.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
nitecrawler

Original Poster
i came with a thought to start from scratch again thats 14.1 for now....but your post asking me to stretch on and lets see....

well i have the two text files now with me....

so i did a slackpkg update now....

P.S.
just wanted to inform that i did a slackpkg update now with no errors..i started a discussion straight away when i faced the error cited above....but can anyone tell me why i face this error?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecrawler View Post
but can anyone tell me why i face this error?
Only if we know what error it is exactly. So please see the past paragraph of my previous post, that I updated while you were writing your answer.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
nitecrawler

Original Poster
all normalcy restored...my system is running current mirror....slackpkg update works once again....failed till today...

downloaded the chromium-dev version from alien bob packages for current and its compiling with no errors....

so my issue and the error was in the first post: posting again

Code:
ERROR:Verification of the gpg signature on CHECKSUMS.MD5 failed! This could mean that the file has been tampered with or out of date.

i had done a recent upgrade to my system and the kernel(issues were posted here then) but i had lost fluxbox customization when my system was upgraded....today when i did my slackpkg update again all previous settings and customizations are restored back to normal....especially the xterm...larger fonts and colors....

can anyone tell me why this settings change from the last upgrade and today(if i am sure, the last upgrade was not successful...i think i screwed it the last time seeing today's slackpkg update results)

so its more of why's but happy system is restored..though not fully happy till i get to know the whys./....

Last edited by nitecrawler; 08-13-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecrawler View Post
can anyone tell me why this settings change from the last upgrade and today
No. Not knowing the content of each your upgrades and their results (i.e. exactly what packages were upgraded successfully or not at each attempt), trying to find out that would just be a waste of time.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
nitecrawler

Original Poster
yes it most probably could be some libraries which play around with fluxbox window manager was not updated properly the last time round...its all ok now...will dig into it next time when i come across those errors....

will make sure i post it and get some light on that.....thanks for sticking by..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 AM   #10
nitecrawler

Original Poster
STARYING OFFTOPIC AGAIN...so i have posted a new thread for the same...here is the link:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...nt-4175550951/

sorry didier...ignore the below post and you could check the above link

**************************************************************************************************** ************************
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Also, be aware that the SlackBuilds provided @ http://slackbuilds.org are not intended for -current. They can work or fail on -current, as running custom packages previously installed.
actually, i am in current right now but i did a clean-system command after the upgrade so i lost a lot of third party packages like the famous rtorrent app...

i need it back(or may i say re-installed on my system)......in such a scenario, if i cant use the exisitng slackbuilds file because it is for 14.1, how and from where would i get a new rtorrent for current?

i searched alien bob's packages, but no i didnt find rtorrent for current in there....

how do i go about installing rtorrent app?kindly guide on the same....

or can i make a slackbuild as described in slackdocs(http://www.slackwiki.com/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script) for the same?what are the points i should be aware of when making for current?

Last edited by nitecrawler; 08-17-2015 at 06:25 AM.