LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
rcorkum

Distribution: Slackware Current

Rep: Reputation: 15
acer 4739 i3 4gb ram 500 g sata x fails to start once i update to current

I appologize to start I thought I had the error.

apparently its not as easy as I thought to attach an error.txt to an email to myself in gmail through links in terminal.

I know I need the error report but I've nailed whats common. tonight I've installed 14.1 3 times.

first I updated to current was working on the multilib packages and building chromium when I wanted to reboot and then x failed at console

so I thought it was confusion between to much going on and breaking things my bad

so I installed it again and everything was kosher, again I blacklisted the kernal stuff, set mirror to current and updated all went smooth as glass

rebooted and can't start x massive errors.

so only thing in common is current my pc and X

I know it was a missing lib and know thats no help any easy way to somehow store a text file someplace while in console so I can reserve it for later for bug reporting. its almost 2am and grandson is sick but sleeping so trying to work on this to pass the time. its driving me batty chuckle. will maintain stable till I can find more data on this.

I also have another bug I'll will dig up as I had this on another laptop I was playing with a gateway nv-54 (that laptop self destructed) it still runs it just the case touched on a sweet spot I guess and exploded like dropping a Corningware (tm) plate and hitting the sweet spot, the case fractured in every interesting ways from a very minor bump
but basically (i'll dig up that thread I was in a year or so ago and revive it to try and solve that bug) but will be typing in a text window like to compose this message and my cursor jumps hither and yawn like i am yanking a mouse around. makes fun typing, even more fun coding chuckle.

so if i need to reproduce the error what resources I will have is internet, console and links gmail but apparently no ability to attach a file.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #2
rcorkum

Original Poster
okay I am in links now on console can't start x does anyone know a way sorry can't google rigt now or I'd have the answer. to copy and paste an error message from raw terminal (console not a term window etc..) or startx >> error.log? my other pc's are right now were people are sleeping and would like to solve this.

I did a partial upgrade and it broke again but i did this to try and see what package is breaking me in current. it may be a graphics package as no terminal window will open before i reboot in console i can open nothing gui'd. I didn't install x11 or any package I thought would break it and it still broke so i did a complete update to current rebooted now in console and trying to debug this its windows manager independant tis error as i thought maybe i broke xfce what i use.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
rcorkum

Original Poster
my issue is i can't startx >> error.txt it leaves errors.txt empty and dumps to console but ls >> errorls.txt fully redirects to errorsls.txt

so going to shift back and forth in console and reproduce the error best i can bear with me

startx
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.924 does not exist
/usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries libxshmfence.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
giving up
unable to connect to X server: connection refused
server error

Old 02-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #4
jstg

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 37
It looks like you are missing the libxshmfence package that was added to -current. I'm not sure how you upgraded to -current, but you need to run slackpkg install-new somewhere in there to grab any packages that have been added between the release of 14.1 and the current version of -current.

It's been awhile since I've went from a stable release to -current but the process should pretty much be:

Code:
uncomment -current mirror, comment stable mirror
slackpkg update
slackpkg upgrade slackpkg
slackpkg upgrade glibc-solibs
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg clean-system
That will update the package list, upgrade slackpkg if there is a new version, make sure glibc-solibs is sane, install any packages that have been added between 14.1 and now and upgrade all the other packages.

Last edited by jstg; 02-02-2015 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Added information

Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just a thought: you'd save you some hassle running Slackware 14.1 instead of Slackware current, not useful unless you intend to participate in testing it, or some of your devices be supported only on Slackware current (but if just the kernel needs an upgrade, then better build and install a newer kernel on Slackware 14.1).

This is specially true if you use stuff from http://slackuilds.org as it takes a few weeks after an incoming release to check and adapt if need be all the SlackBuilds against it. Furthermore they provide no SlackBuild for Slackware current, so you can try to use those intended for the most recent stable release, but if that fails you are on your own.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
rcorkum

Original Poster
thanks for the quick reply, I reloaded 14.1 again. when I am not so tired I'll try to figure it out.

I need to do some advanced reading again it seems I love figuring things out it drives me nuts when I can't

is there a log some place for example
when I
Code:
startx
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.924 does not exist
/usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries libxshmfence.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
giving up
unable to connect to X server: connection refused
server error
is that written to an official log some place I looked through /var/logs/ but i couldn't find it.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorkum View Post
my issue is i can't startx >> error.txt it leaves errors.txt empty and dumps to console but ls >> errorls.txt fully redirects to errorsls.txt
That's because in UNIX, the error output goes to another file descriptor (STDERR is fd 2 while STDOUT is fd 1).

If you want to join the standard output as well as the error output into the same file, then use this:
Code:
startx > error.txt 2>&1
Read http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html if it interests you sufficiently.

Eric

Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
jostber

Distribution: Slackware Current 64-bit

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
A quite similar thread here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...te-4175512471/

Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
rcorkum

Original Poster
hmm very interesting read me I am 64 bit and was using the closest Canadian mirror to me
right now I am 100% clean install from a 14.1 x64 bit torrent to usb to this laptop. haven't taken any updates yet not even change logs

actually going to move this over to that thread shown above i'll link it here again for clarity thanks so much for pointing it out.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...te-4175512471/

issue resolved, closing thread see other thread for comments

Last edited by rcorkum; 02-02-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: merging threads