LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
gapan

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 163Reputation: 163

Ultimately, I have decided to stick with MATE 1.4 as the official version for Salix/Slackware 14.0. I had already a large number of packages for 1.4 ready and uploaded in the Salix repositories and upgrading those to 1.6 would mean breaking lots of configurations and settings in the process. However, I have also built packages for MATE 1.5 and I will build packages for MATE 1.6, when it is released, which I'll be keeping in a separate "unofficial" repository.

MATE 1.4 packages for Slackware 14.0

MATE 1.4 is the latest stable release of MATE.

The easiest way to install MATE 1.4 in a Slackware system is to have slapt-get installed and add the salix repositories in your /etc/slapt-getrc file.

For 32-bit systems, add this to your slapt-getrc:
Code:
SOURCE=http://slackware.org.uk/salix/i486/14.0/:PREFERRED
and for 64-bit systems, add this to your slapt-getrc:
Code:
SOURCE=http://slackware.org.uk/salix/x86_64/14.0/:PREFERRED
You can replace the slackware.org.uk server with any of the mirrors that carry the salix repositories. Find a list here: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.ph...sitory_mirrors

If you want to everything manually, without slapt-get, you can just download and install all packages from one of those mirrors and inside the $arch/14.0/mate directory. In that case, you will additionally need the following packages that are not part of a stock Slackware installation and which you can also find in the Salix repos (under different directories):
Code:
atkmm							      
cairomm							      
dconf							      
glibmm							      
gtkmm							      
libgtop							      
libsigc++						      
libunique						      
pangomm
MATE 1.5 packages for Slackware 14.0

MATE 1.5 is a development release, which will eventually lead to the 1.6 stable release. It is not complete yet, some parts are still missing. The most important is probably mate-terminal 1.5 which has not been released yet, but you all probably have alternatives for that. Once the MATE developers release a working tarball, I'll add this to the packages that I'm providing. Otherwise, MATE 1.5 seems to work fine here, no obvious problems that I can find until now. You can install these packages if you want to have a peek at what the 1.6 version will bring and report any issues you might have to the MATE developers, so that the 1.6 release will be the best that it can be.

You can also install MATE 1.5 using slapt-get, but you'll need to add both the salix repositories and my private MATE 1.5 repository to the list of sources in /etc/slapt-getrc.

For 32-bit systems, add this to your slapt-getrc:
Code:
SOURCE=http://slackware.org.uk/salix/i486/14.0/:PREFERRED
SOURCE=http://people.salixos.org/gapan/mate_1.5_for_slack14.0/i486/:CUSTOM
and for 64-bit systems, add this to your slapt-getrc:
Code:
SOURCE=http://slackware.org.uk/salix/x86_64/14.0/:PREFERRED
SOURCE=http://people.salixos.org/gapan/mate_1.5_for_slack14.0/x86_64/:CUSTOM
and install with
Code:
slapt-get --install-set mate
the downside is that will also grab a few MATE 1.4 packages that have been deprecated in 1.5. You can easily remove those by running:
Code:
removepkg /var/log/packages/*mate*1.4*
Otherwise you can just grab the packages from the following location and install manually: http://people.salixos.org/gapan/mate_1.5_for_slack14.0/
Additional packages not present in a stock slackware installation are listed under that URL.

Please report any issues you might find and hope you enjoy MATE on your Slackware.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #32
Totoro-kun

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 125Reputation: 125
Installed MATE 1.4 on my Slackware64 14.0 and its flawless! Many thanks

Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #33
Broker824

Distribution: Slackware 14.1 and Current, CrunchBang 11, Ubuntu 14.04, antiX 13.1

Rep: Reputation: 13
Thumbs up

Installed MATE 1.5 to Slackware multilib.
Thank a lot.

Waiting MATE 1.6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16.12.12 prikaz(002).jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	11411  

Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
yenn

Distribution: Slackware, Gentoo, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 28
I just installed MATE 1.5 on Slackware current and it works like a charm. Thanks for the packages!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
Matthew T.
LQ Newbie

Distribution: openSUSE

Rep: Reputation: 0
I installed Mate 1.4 on Slackware 14.0 and it seems to work okay except that clicking on almost any icon under Places launches Audacious. Strange.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #36
gapan

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew T. View Post
I installed Mate 1.4 on Slackware 14.0 and it seems to work okay except that clicking on almost any icon under Places launches Audacious. Strange.
There's something wrong with your local mimetype settings. Open a Caja window (the home icon on the desktop will always do that), right click on a directory and select Open with/Other and set "caja" as a custom app. Make sure you tick the box to remember the setting and it will work fine after that.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #37
Broker824

Distribution: Slackware 14.1 and Current, CrunchBang 11, Ubuntu 14.04, antiX 13.1

How do change icon "Main Menus"in MATE 1.5.5.

When MATE default theme also no change

And when theme MATE, no bonsai tree, but it looks like this (in picture attached)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19.12.12 prikaz.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	11428  

Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #38
Totoro-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker824 View Post
How do change icon "Main Menus"in MATE 1.5.5.
Hi
I was also trying to change this exact icon, however I was unable to find a way to do that. However, there is alternative way which requires to use different menu.

First you need to remove menu-bar from panel, then add Mate menu. Which looks like this:

Name:	menu.png
Views:	68
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	11430
But this menu still needs some aditional steps, because at first it had no icon, just like menu-bar style menu. In order to specify custom icon, you need to set two keys somewhere in dconf -> org -> mate -> panel -> ojects:
use-custom-icon=true
custom-icon=/usr/share/icons/Faenza/places/24/start-here-slackware.png

To determine which object is correct, you have to look through them in dconf-editor and find which one has entry:
object-type: menu

In my case it was object_6. So I need to define mentioned values in:
dconf -> org -> mate -> panel -> ojects -> object_6

Now I had a problem, that dconf editor does not let you add new keys. So at this point I had to work in a terminal to add them. First you need to dump dconf settings into txt file:
Code:
cd ~/.config/dconf/
dconf dump / > dump_user.txt
Now you need to edit dump_user.txt find section [org/mate/panel/objects/object_6] and paste these two keys into it:
Code:
nano dump_user.txt
Section should look like this:
Code:
[org/mate/panel/objects/object_6]
locked=true
object-type='menu'
panel-right-stick=true
position=0
tooltip='Pagrindinis meniu'
toplevel-id='top'
use-menu-path=false
use-custom-icon=true
custom-icon='/usr/share/icons/Faenza/places/24/start-here-slackware.png'
Now save and load these settings back into dconf:
Code:
dconf load / < dump_user.txt
Thats it, now you should see your custom icon

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #39
Broker824

I do not like changing Main Menu with Menu Bar Custom.
How to remove Icon from Main Menu.
Is it possible to remove icon from default Main Menu?

ps
Anyway, thanks a lot for great tutorial!
It will be very useful for other things.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Totoro-kun

I may be wrong, but it seems as if menu-bar icon is hardcoded or something... But if there is a way to remove or change it, I would be very insterested to know

Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #41
gapan

Original Poster
The menu icon is indeed hardcoded. It is set to an icon named "salix", so if you want to use your own icon just replace (or add) salix.png icon in your /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps directory (or any other size).

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #42
Broker824

Now it looks great.
Thank you very much Gapan!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20.12.12 prikaz(001).jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	11438  

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #43
Totoro-kun

There is a problem with mate-panel-1.5.2 if you change it's color or transparency settings, the panel would ignore them on next start. I've made a package for mate-panel-1.5.3 using SLKBUILD from 1.4 and this behavior is fixed in mate-panel-1.5.3

If anyone needs, I could share the package, but I think it would be best if Gapan would add newer package to his repo.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #44
Totoro-kun

I have also noticed, that mate-notification-daemon is missing in all Salix packages, is there a reason for this? Maybe something else is used for this purpose in Salix?

If I understand correctly, this package should provide mate-notification-properties command, which would help to set up notification placement?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #45
gapan

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro-kun View Post
There is a problem with mate-panel-1.5.2 if you change it's color or transparency settings, the panel would ignore them on next start. I've made a package for mate-panel-1.5.3 using SLKBUILD from 1.4 and this behavior is fixed in mate-panel-1.5.3

If anyone needs, I could share the package, but I think it would be best if Gapan would add newer package to his repo.
Thanks for the info. The 1.5.3 package is now up.

BTW, you didn't have to use the 1.4 SLKBUILD. You can find all SLKBUILD files in /usr/src after installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro-kun View Post
I have also noticed, that mate-notification-daemon is missing in all Salix packages, is there a reason for this? Maybe something else is used for this purpose in Salix?

If I understand correctly, this package should provide mate-notification-properties command, which would help to set up notification placement?
I had just forgotten about it. It's now there too.

Last edited by gapan; 12-23-2012 at 10:31 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
mate, slackware