LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
pwabrahams

Distribution: OpenSuSE, Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 41
Connected but can't connect to anything

My partner is running Kubuntu 12.04 (as I also am) on a laptop with a wireless connection. The networking icon on the bottom row indicates that her laptop is, indeed, connected, as does System Settings / Network Connections / Wireless. Nevertheless, she isn't able to connect to anything, either through Firefox or by pinging. What might account for that? I'm trying to talk her through this over the phone.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Reuti

Distribution: openSUSE 15.2

Rep: Reputation: 260Reputation: 260Reputation: 260
Maybe there is no DHCP server, hence you can connect to the WiFi, but to use the actual network you need to supply a valid TCP/IP address and appropriate entries for gateway and DNS server on your own. The chosen address for this machine must fall of course in the address range provided by the WiFi network.