LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
jiucai
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I try to install ubuntu but booting is stopped with the following

[1.2298131] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block (0.0)

Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
I hate be the one to break it to you but there is not near enough info here for anyone to help you with this problem.

What is your hardware/ Since not everyone knows the details of every computer built it would be good to know if this is 32 or 64 bit install, shot you have for cpu(s), ram and video card for a start.

What version of Ubuntu did you install? Is anything else installed on this box?

How did you install it?

What partitioning option(s) did you use?

With that info and anything else you can provide folks will have some idea what it is you are dealing with.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
jiucai
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi thank you very much for your quick reply. I have attached what I think is what you require but since I really am a newbie, it probably won't be.
My computer is a 32 bit and I tried to install ubuntu 11.10 using Wubi.
I didn't do any partitioning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DirectX.pdf (110.8 KB, 24 views)

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
I've never done a wubi install so I'm not sure what the problem would be. The minimum RAM for Ubuntu is 512MB and the recommended is 1GB so even if you got it installed, it wouldn't work well. Try either an Ubuntu with a lighter Desktop or some other distribution which doesn't require as much memory. Lubuntu or Peppermint Two are a couple of possibilities but there are many more to choose from. You could google Linux on older computers to see what the results are.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
widget

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
Yes you are trying to run 2 OSs at once, I think anywaym. Some of your MS install has to be working. I don't think you have enough ram for that.

You did not include your video card but if you can open Ubuntu Live Session using the Live CD that should be fine.

Using a lighter version would be one thing that might work.

Another would be to dual boot and just do a real install of Ubuntu. Won't take up anymore room on your drive. It will replace your MS bootloader on the MBR. Should be fine for booting both but if you decide you don't like it and remove ubuntu you won't boot anything.

The MS boot loader would have to be put back on the MBR. You need the MS install disk to do that reliably or testdisk.

I am happy to see someone has bios older than mine.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
jiucai
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thank you very much. Here is the screen shot of the video card. Thanks for advice thus far.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen shot of video card.pdf (104.9 KB, 13 views)

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
widget

OK nothing there that should be a problem.

You just need more ram.

MS runs strat off the HDD. This is why you here it run all the time.

Linux, as did dos, runs on ram. Anything you are using is loaded there and is fast to get too.

This does, however, require more ram.

So when you have a system at the bottom of the spec range ram wise and try to run Linux and a peice of MS at the same time it just won't go.

I have some doubts about your video card dealing with the 3d Unity version also but that may be fine. If it doesn't it should boot straight to Unity 2d anyway. That is supposed to work fine and some people seem to prefer it.

One thing I would do is to check the manual for your computer and see what amount of ram it will take. If you do not have such a beast it should be available on line. Memory for a box that age should be pretty cheap. Any additional ammount would be great probably make it run. Doubling it would make it a pretty nice box.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiucai View Post
Hi thank you very much for your quick reply. I have attached what I think is what you require but since I really am a newbie, it probably won't be.
My computer is a 32 bit and I tried to install ubuntu 11.10 using Wubi.
I didn't do any partitioning.
Definately needs more ram, even to run Win XP at a reasonable speed. I've just upgraded my sisters XP box that she was constantly moaning about how slow it was; haven't heard her complain since. If you can afford it, upgrade it with as much ram as the motherboard can take.

As for running Linux, I would dual boot, it will allow it to use all of your ram. Then you will see why Linux is better than that other operating system.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
jiucai
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Sorry if I am duplicating this message but I've attached a handwritten copy of what appears on the reboot screen when ubuntu fails to boot. It begins with "[1.2298131] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block (0.0)" and continues on the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img026.pdf (31.6 KB, 11 views)

Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
jiucai
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
further down the Linux installation path but still lost

Hi I bought 1 GB of Ram and my computer is a lot faster. I tried downloading ubuntu using Wubi and got the attached error message (error ubuntu). I have also attached the related converted log file (copy of wubi). Any suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ubuntu error.pdf (22.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf copy of wubi-12.04-rev266.pdf (44.3 KB, 13 views)

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
widget

Sorry, we don't allow folks to even bring a phone running MS into our house. Just will not have anything to do with it.

I think you may want to take a lood at this page and maybe the links provided by it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer