LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
jimwg

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Changing OpenOffice config file in Casper of Mint flash USB

Greetings!

Writer in my Windows' OpenOffice has, among others, a config file of hundreds of user custom colors. It would take weeks to re-do those RGB configurations on Mint (9 and 12) OpenOffice since the program never had any way of simply importing configurations. I was able to easily transfer Writer's configuration file (standard.soc) from Mac OpenOffice to Windows OpenOffice because the directory structure is largely the same, but that doesn't seem to exist in Linux/Mint, much less accessing or changing any OpenOffice configuration files within Casper where OpenOffice stores its persistence config files.

Any hints would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

TechNewbie JimG

Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
jefro
Guru

Rep: Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521
OpenOffice is the same for distro's.

What ever you have could be copied.

Now, this usb you have is not a true install. It is a way to cheat a usb into running a live cd image and then making some changes. The casper I guess could be mounted but it is better to boot to the system. The original iso image and the persistence file become merged into what the OS thinks is a single filesystem. I think if you peek into it you will see the different places that could store data and if you try to store data in the original iso image it will not let you.

I first liked the live usb with persistence but gave it up in favor of a real usb install.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
jimwg

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
OpenOffice is the same for distro's.

What ever you have could be copied.

Now, this usb you have is not a true install. It is a way to cheat a usb into running a live cd image and then making some changes. The casper I guess could be mounted but it is better to boot to the system. The original iso image and the persistence file become merged into what the OS thinks is a single filesystem. I think if you peek into it you will see the different places that could store data and if you try to store data in the original iso image it will not let you.

I first liked the live usb with persistence but gave it up in favor of a real usb install.
Thanks for your reply! I'm really a newbie at computer things so I appreciate all the assist! Okay, are you saying that there's another flash install procedure besides persistence, this "real usb install" you mentioned? There's so much deep-steeped techie stuff out there on this and hardly for the average Joe to understand!

I also have another problem, maybe related, I'd posting soon.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
jefro
Guru

Rep: Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521
It seems that places like www.pendrivelinux.com are great sources to help the first time usb flash user.

There are basically four ways to make a usb.

Some specialized app that takes a live cd and puts it on a usb.

Same for choice two but the app is also able to add in persistence or casper file.

Three is a way to copy and ISO file to a usb and boot it that way.

Lastly is the ability of almost every common linux distro to install to a usb flash as if it were a real hard drive.

Each has it's use and weak points.