LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
ununun

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
power failure > fsck -y > ext4 converted into ext3; journel deleted etc > here

i have a desktop at home running arch linux, so yesterday my bro called me about computer not booting up. so like many times before i thought he did or the computer was turned off abruptly (may be after power failure). i told him to fsck.ext -y /dev/sda1 in partedmagic. but he did it while fs was mounted , i told him to hit ctrl+c and run it again with fs unmounted. still os wont boot, grub error 15 is shown instead

so i told him to hold on , i would come and take a look.

so there i am now. in partmagic i fsck.ext4 -y /dev/sda1 then i noticed something like journel not found recreating journel, fs now ext3 etc etc.

so here i am.

what to do now. (if nothing is possible i may have to recover files with hexedit,)

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
business_kid
Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496
fsck while mounted = shooting yourself in the head.

I suggest an email to the e2fsck author/maintainer, who is a friendly chap with a good knowledge of the subject. Do nothing meanwhile, and convince your brother to do likewise.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
ununun

Original Poster
i know, thats why i am so angry with partedmagic. i mean who the hell mount the fs that you are about to repair.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
ununun

Original Poster
just one question. can i mv all data from lost+found to the same fs like it was before. can it cause data loss ?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
rknichols

Distribution: CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 505Reputation: 505Reputation: 505Reputation: 505Reputation: 505Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ununun View Post
can i mv all data from lost+found to the same fs like it was before. can it cause data loss ?
No problem, since mv within a file system is just a rename operation. A link to the existing inode gets created in whatever directory you choose, and the link in the lost+found directory gets deleted. No data gets copied; no data will be lost. The only difficulty with recovering files from lost+found is figuring out what the original file name and directory might have been.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
ununun

Original Poster
it just few dirs.

thanks for the info. i will post the results.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
ununun

Original Poster
all done. all data saved. thanks business_kid & rknichols.

ps it wasnt parted magic . my brother mounted it before fsck. sorry.