LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
dcarrington

Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 2
Kickstart - Enable osad & nscd service

Hello,

After taking over the RHEL admin responsibilities (while still being quite green), I am looking into our kickstart builds and noticed that there are "snippets" being used to enable a couple of services post-build.

When I looked, I noticed that these services (osad & nscd) are explicitly set to be enabled in the kickstart script.

I have not been able to find a log file or error message as to why these services are not being enabled without using the additional snippets.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find why these services are not enabled after a kickstart build unless I use an additional post-install script to enable them?

The line in the kickstart script is:

services --disabled=kudzu,firstboot,atd,lvm2-monitor,isdn,mdmonitor,nfslock,cups,bluetooth,pcscd,hidd,autofs,hplip,rawdevices,xinetd,gpm,xfs,yum-updatesd,smartd,rpcgssd,rpcidmapd,avahi-daemon,iscsi,iscsid,mcstrans,restorecond,readahead_early --enabled=ntpd,auditd,psacct,snmpd,osad,nscd

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
kbp

Rep: Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643
Maybe they're being disabled in the %post section ? .. I can't think of any reason for it not to work unless there was a space between 'snmpd' and 'osad'

Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
dcarrington

Original Poster
kbp,

I looked all through the finished script and verified that there is no white space in the services line. In fact, originally, osad and nscd were the first two services listed (--enabled=osad,nscd,ntpd....) and I moved them to the end...just in case order had anything to do with it.

Also, I found no mention of osad apart from the above-mentioned "services" call and the insertion of the snippet that I still have to add that just does a "chkconfig osad on". Same goes for nscd.

We are a little behind on patching our Satellite server, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. We're going to get Satellite current on patching and everything, but that's a fairly major thing that tends to break lots of stuff, so we're not rushing into that. Who knows...maybe that's all it is.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
kbp

Rep: Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643
I usually do my service disabling/enabling in the post section so I can have a bit more control

e.g.
Code:
if [[ "$NAS" = "y" ]]
then
echo "[*] enabling services for NAS"
for service in netfs nfs nfslock portmap
do
  chkconfig $service on
  echo "... $service enabled"
done
fi
If you have the time you could try adding it as 2 lines:

Code:
services --disabled=kudzu,firstboot,atd,lvm2-monitor,isdn,mdmonitor,nfslock,cups,bluetooth,pcscd,hidd,autofs,hplip,rawdevices,xinetd,gpm,xfs,yum-updatesd,smartd,rpcgssd,rpcidmapd,avahi-daemon,iscsi,iscsid,mcstrans,restorecond,readahead_early
services --enabled=ntpd,auditd,psacct,snmpd,osad,nscd

Last edited by kbp; 03-30-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
dcarrington

Original Poster
kbp,

I wondered about that as I was originally wondering if I was running into an issue of having too long of a string. We're using Satellite, so I don't know if there's a way to separate those out unless I just go directly into modifying the script manually. Not opposed to doing that, but I just think it shouldn't HAVE to be done that way. (I like when stuff just works the way it's supposed to.)

I can definitely try your suggestion, though. It might help to narrow down the cause of why it's not working the way I've got it.

Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
dcarrington

Original Poster
With the help of Red Hat support, I think we finally found it...

It looks like after I added a "--enablecache" switch after "authconfig ...." my services now seem to be running and enabled after kickstarting.

Yay Red Hat!!

Tags
kickstart