LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
sneakyimp

Rep: Reputation: 78
setting up postfix for outgoing mail

I'm setting up a server and trying to make it *very* secure. Before I configured my web stack, I was about to install some security packages, Tiger and Samhain, but these packages wanted to install sendmail so that they can send outgoing notifications. From the reading I've been doing, I believe I want postfix instead of sendmail. It is my (perhaps mistaken) belief that installing postfix first will prevent them from installing this sendmail I do not want.

I want to install postfix with the following goals in mind:
* let PHP scripts send mail using the mail function.
* various system notification functions (cron, etc.) will be able to send their emails
* emails destined for root@localhost will be redirected to admin@mydomain.com
* let tiger and/or samhain send their notification emails
* NO INCOMING OR LOCAL MAIL IS PERMITTED. Because mail for my domain is handled by google apps, nobody will be checking mail on this server. Also, this server has very limited disk space. It is therefore very important that we don't have mail accumulating in boxes that will never be checked.
* no unnecessary ports, services, or cron jobs are running.

I've been reading a variety of pages that describe postfix setup on Ubuntu but these articles are imprecise, incomplete, and describe installation of things I don't want like POP/IMAP/etc.

There's also one final wrinkle. I will be setting up postfix to send via Amazon SES.

If anyone can help me sort this, I'd very much like any tips or suggestions you may have.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
sneakyimp

Original Poster
I've been looking into this and, unless I'm mistaken, this is what I should be doing:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONF...ml#null_client

If anyone could corroborate that, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also wondering if this should also be done so that root@localhost actually gets sent to root@mydomain.com:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONF...E.html#fantasy

Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
sneakyimp

Original Poster
I installed postfix and tweaked the settings according to those links. What I'm having trouble with now is connecting postfix to Amazon SES. I seem to be missing some perl module:
Code:
user@host:/opt/third-party/amazon$ sudo ./ses-verify-email-address.pl -e https://email.us-east-1.amazonaws.com -k /opt/third-party/amazon/aws-credentials -v address@mydomain.com
Can't locate object method "ssl_opts" via package "LWP::UserAgent" at SES.pm line 250.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
sneakyimp

Original Poster
Alrighty. This has been a journey so far. If anyone at all is interested, there's a lot you have to do to get Amazon SES working:
* download Amazon SES scripts
* read README file that comes with SES scripts that has install instructions
* sort out dependencies of perl modules
* install all kinds of stuff

And now I've got the Amazon scripts working on my machine, but postfix is having an include path problem:
Code:
Jul 28 16:30:26 ip-10-100-237-252 postfix/pipe15859: 216D0720E9: to=<user@domain.com>, relay=aws-email, delay=0.2, delays=0/0/0/0.19, dsn=5.3.0, status=bounced (Command died with status 2: "/opt/third-party/amazon/ses-send-email.pl". Command output: Can't locate SES.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /opt/third-party/amazon/ses-send-email.pl line 27. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/third-party/amazon/ses-send-email.pl line 27. )