LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
bwatt99
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cant get on the internet with my notebook

I have a Acer aspire a50l/intel atom n270 1.6ghz/512mb/120gb/8.9/linux notebook
which uses linux lite im sure have had this for a few years now and been using it as a main computer still workds fine and never had much trouble.
Today i was trying to view a website from germany which i wanted to read in english using translator but had trouble viewing each page anyway i see an option to i think download google toolbar or was it browser anyway since then when i go to my desktop and click on my browser button i can get on the net now.

I dont know what i have done or how to fix this,i thought i had downloaded google toolbar which im sure have used before on the computer but i just cant get on the net now,even though my wirelss conection says its ok

i get the message firefox is already running but is not responding.to open a new window you must first close the existing firefox process or restart your system.

i have tried restart,switching it off etc and still cant get it to work,what should i do or how do i get this working again

Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
appilu

Distribution: RedHat,Debian-Ubuntu,Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 8
hi,
whether connectivity is ensured to that site via ping.
if ok then
jst try reinstalling firefox or try connecting net from some other browsers.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
bwatt99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
what do you mean??

Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
bwatt99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
anyone??

Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
ntubski

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081
Try removing lock and .parentlock in Firefox's profile directory as described here: Profile in use.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
tur third

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10

Rep: Reputation: 24
A few people are posting problems with Linpus lite and firefox. You have got to try this.

close 'firefox'
Open 'File Manager'
Under 'view' tick show hidden files
You can then rename .mozilla to say .mozillaold
see if you can restart Firefox (you will have lost all your favourites etc though)

If it does not work, you can delete the new .mozilla and rename .mozillaold back to .mozilla

See this thread for more details.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...howing-859838/

It might be a different problem - but I doubt it... let us know if it does not work.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
bwatt99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
im lost tried things on that link,cant get it to work

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
tur third

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10

Rep: Reputation: 24
I think you should try to see whether firefox is already running, if so then kill it and try to start it again in 'safe-mode'.

To do this, in File Manager - file > Terminal
Then type in the word 'top'

This will show all the processes running on the netbook at the time. You are looking for 'firefox-bin'. You should take note of the process ID (PID) and User. (If the User is 'root' you will need to quit and start again using 'sudo top' - but it probably will not be). Pressing 'h' will show you help for the 'top' program.

To kill the process press 'k' then enter the PID and confirm with 'Y' - being careful to get the right one.

Once you are happy it is not running I think you should then try starting in 'safe mode' and then also try renaming the ./mozilla directory fix again.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
bwatt99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well getting further than i have been i put in top like you said and i get a white screen come up which changes all the time quickly,but i cant go any further i think as you say to look for firefox bin i cant see it,i looked at it for a while as the screen changes all the time and i cant see firefox,am i supposed to so what do or where do i go from here.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Snark1994

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 346Reputation: 346Reputation: 346Reputation: 346
Perhaps you could try running

Code:
killall firefox-bin
which will ask all the firefox-bin processes to close (I think this is SIGTERM), or even
Code:
kill -9 `ps -e | grep firefox-bin | awk '{print $1}'`
which closes them forcefully (I think this one is SIGKILL)

Tags
firefox