LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
MBA Whore

Distribution: Various: pclos, Debian, Ubuntu, etc . . .

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ubuntu stability

I know ubuntu comes in (about) 6 month cycles. However, I have heard / read / etc that ubuntu releases are more unstable than other distros.

If I wanted a more "stable" ubuntu version, then which should I download and try? Should I get the most recent or go back 6 months, 12 months, etc?

This stability concern is my key objection to relying upon Ubuntu.

I don't expect Ubuntu to define "stable" the way Debian defines it, but I don't want to be on the cutting / bleeding edge either.

I want a decent balance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
catkin
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208
The answer depends on whether you:
  • are happy to upgrade every 12 months.
  • are happy to use a version for which security fixes are no longer being published.
  • need recent software.
The most high impact stability bugs should (TM) have been ironed out after 6 months. Thereafter security fixes are only issued for another 12 months unless it's an LTS (long term support) release.

So -- if you want stability, the possibility of using fairly recent software and latest security fixes then you install the latest release that is more than 6 months old now and change release every 6 months or year depending on whether you need to change to run the software you want.

If "fairly recent software" is not important to you and you don't want to install a newer release every 6 to 12 months then you could use only the LTS releases and only install the next LTS release when it's 6 months old. Following that strategy you would now use 8.04 (Hardy) and switch to 10.04 (assuming it is published on schedule) in October 2010. The downside of this strategy is that you would be running a 2.5 year old release just before changing and that would stop you running some recent software.

This site recommends using any ubuntu which is more than a month old if you are concerned about stability. I thinks that's optimistic!

Last edited by catkin; 08-12-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
MBA Whore

Distribution: Various: pclos, Debian, Ubuntu, etc . . .

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
The answer depends on whether you:
  • are happy to upgrade every 12 months.
  • are happy to use a version for which security fixes are no longer being published.
  • need recent software.
The most high impact stability bugs should (TM) have been ironed out after 6 months. Thereafter security fixes are only issued for another 12 months unless it's an LTS (long term support) release.

So -- if you want stability, the possibility of using fairly recent software and latest security fixes then you install the latest release that is more than 6 months old now and change release every 6 months or year depending on whether you need to change to run the software you want.

If "fairly recent software" is not important to you and you don't want to install a newer release every 6 to 12 months then you could use only the LTS releases and only install the next LTS release when it's 6 months old. Following that strategy you would now use 8.04 (Hardy) and switch to 10.04 (assuming it is published on schedule) in October 2010. The downside of this strategy is that you would be running a 2.5 year old release just before changing and that would stop you running some recent software.

This site recommends using any ubuntu which is more than a month old if you are concerned about stability. I thinks that's optimistic!

catkin, et al:

Right now, it is August 2009 (2009-08). The most recent Ubuntu I found was Jaunty (2009-04). The second most recent Ubuntu I found was Intrepid (2008-10).

If I want stability and fairly recent software, then I should select Intrepid. Correct?

Intrepid is the most recent release greater than 6 months old.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
catkin
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA Whore View Post
catkin, et al:

Right now, it is August 2009 (2009-08). The most recent Ubuntu I found was Jaunty (2009-04). The second most recent Ubuntu I found was Intrepid (2008-10).

If I want stability and fairly recent software, then I should select Intrepid. Correct?

Intrepid is the most recent release greater than 6 months old.
That's logical, Captain

Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
unholy

Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10

You can also get up to date versions of software at www.getdeb.net.

I'm using the last LTS and use this to stay up to date with a few key apps I need.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
r_a_smith3530

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholy View Post
You can also get up to date versions of software at www.getdeb.net.

I'm using the last LTS and use this to stay up to date with a few key apps I need.
The only thing that I can think of here, is that if you are going out and downloading DEBs to get the latest software, aren't you then defeating the purpose of selecting an older, possibly more stable release? After all, what is the latest release, but a collection of the latest software wrapped in with the newest kernel.

Just a thought...

Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
unholy

Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10

That's a fair point. The main advantage for me is that the overall system is stable. I assume this is because it has had over a year of bugfixes and security-updates so far. Also, all my hardware is recognized so I really would be taking a gamble by upgrading. It just runs too well to risk an upgrade when I can just install the few key apps I like to keep current. I am talking about updating maybe 3 or 4 applications. Not the entire desktop suite.

If it was a home computer, I would agree with you entirely. However this is purely a work machine so I'd rather stay safe.