LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bluewhite64
User Name
Password
Bluewhite64 This forum is for the discussion of Bluewhite64 Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Shingoshi

Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 34
Is anyone having problems compiling applications after installing the ia32 packages?

I'm only asking this because I'm having trouble compiling packages on Slackware64. The problem is that ./configure returns "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu". I'm guessing there is no problem here at all. But I just want to eliminate the possibility of anyone claiming that it's due to the use of the Bluewhite64 ia32 compatibility layer. It is being claimed that this step must be used on every build. I want to know if the same thing is true in Bluewhite64, as has been stated for Slackware64?http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...01#post3558901
Quote:
# The original config.{guess,sub} do not work on x86_64
cp -p /usr/share/libtool/config.{guess,sub} .
Personally, I find the answer odd. Because I've built packages on Slamd64, either directly (./configure, make, make install), or with the use of build tools like Tukaani's tukbuild and Gilbert Ashley's src2pkg. I never had any trouble building packages before on x86_64. And most definitely not when using Gentoo.

I don't want anyone blaming Bluewhite64, for an issue completely unrelated to Bluewhite64.
So someone please tell me what's going on here.

Shingoshi

Last edited by Shingoshi; 06-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post
It is being claimed that this step must be used on every build.
I did not make this claim anywhere. I literally said: "It was only in very rare cases that I had to mess with the program's original config.sub and config.guess files in the almost 1000 Slackware64 packages that I built before release" in this post.
Where was the claim made and by whom?
The only person whom I have seen to make this claim is you, two posts up from mine- by trying to make that command into an alias, so that it indeed will be used for every build...

Nobody will blame Bluewhite64 for this mess-up that you are making of your own system, combining packages from two distros that were not meant to be combined. You have only yourself to blame, if you try to cover up your own failure by pointing the finger at others.
May I remember you of this post on the Vector forum where the exact same was happening? You have not learnt. You just moved on to harass another series of distro users/maintainers. Please stop spreading FUD. Now. And do not drag Bluewhite64 into this discussion. You are using Slackware64.

Eric

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
arny
Bluewhite64

Distribution: Bluewhite

Rep: Reputation: 17
This is not related to Bluewhite64. As I already told you, the IA32 packages are ONLY FOR RUNNING 32-bit apps!

More details about IA32 you can found at:

http://data.bluewhite64.com/bluewhit...-EMULATION.TXT

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Shingoshi

Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 34
Alien Bob,
You're right. I made a mistake. I'm sorry for misquoting you. Really sorry. I misunderstood what you said. And someone else just pointed out my mistake.

Arny,
I was pretty certain there was no issue with the Bluewhite64 packages. I just didn't want anyone claiming they had somehow screwed up my system. I just wanted this stated out in the open, so no one could argue with it.

Thank You!!
Shingoshi