LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #196
Shingoshi

Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 34
Even greater details...

I installed the Slackware64 kernel to facilitate the full extent of my 8GBs of ram. I then followed that by installing Slackware64's gcc. I was hoping that I would be able to compile my kernel modules by doing so. But I also tried doing a straight 32-bit build using linux32 (which I compiled previously with my 32-bit gcc). The compile failed using the 64-bit gcc from Slackware64. I was later informed that the option to allow 32-bit builds with the present gcc has not been set. So you cannot run "gcc -m32". It simply won't work.

checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

After all of this, is was explained that Slackware64 is PREPARED to be multilib-ready. It should NOT be taken to mean that Slackware64 has any ability to presently support any 32-bit functions. So it seems that whatever success anyone (samac et. al.) has using the Slamd64 32-bit compatibility layer, will be sketchy at best.

So let me reiterate. The use of Slamd64 libraries in attempt to provide support for 32-bit applications, is NOT SUPPORTED. This is the position of Fred Emmott (Slamd64), not mine!

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #197
samac

Distribution: Linux Mint 20.3 - Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
Using slamd64's compatibility libraries allowed me to install and run a package that I compiled on 32bit Slackware 12.2, but I was unable to compile a 32bit program on a Slackware64-current. The same as you. This is not surprising as the toolchain would have to be rebuilt for cross-compiling.

This leaves me with "sketchy", which I don't mind because I only need one program. Wine to run Quicken. Once gnucash, or other linux accounts package, can generate a decent forward projection based upon recurring transactions, then I will be able to run fully x86_64.

samac

Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #198
Shingoshi

The point that I've made in many of my posts, is that the ability to allow the compilation of 32-bit binaries is provided by setting only ONE configure option in gcc. The same thing holds true for having HIGHMEM64 in the kernel-huge package. It too is provided by a single configuration option. It's not a big deal to do this. It just needs to be set. Once that is done, none of these will be an issues anymore.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #199
Shingoshi

Just wanting to be certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samac View Post
Using slamd64's compatibility libraries allowed me to install and run a package that I compiled on 32bit Slackware 12.2, but I was unable to compile a 32bit program on a Slackware64-current. The same as you. This is not surprising as the toolchain would have to be rebuilt for cross-compiling.

This leaves me with "sketchy", which I don't mind because I only need one program. Wine to run Quicken. Once gnucash, or other linux accounts package, can generate a decent forward projection based upon recurring transactions, then I will be able to run fully x86_64.

samac
Did you attempt to install the Slamd64 gcc32? I would like to know if that will allow you to create 32-bit packages or not.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #200
Shingoshi

Read this and smell the roses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
BULLSH@T!

The only time people get pissed is when someone wastes their time complaining about a "bug" that turns out to be due to someone running a "custom kernel" or making some other change to the stock system "AND NOT STATING THAT UP FRONT".

All I've EVER seen anyone say is "please reproduce this on a clean system using the generic kernel before reporting as a bug".
This should remove any doubt that what I said about running Slamd64 libraries will be UNSUPPORTED!!

This exchange occurred today on ##slackware64. Read it and see that I am right!!

<fred> slamd64/c/ are not compatibile with slackware64

<fred> not directly.

<fred> Please don't advise other people to do things to their installs before checking if they're actually fine

<Shingoshi> That's weird. Because that's what I read elsewhere. To use Slamd64/c. And someone has already tested it and found it to be working just fine.

<fred> If I rpm2tgz some ubuntu packages and install them on slacwkare64, try a few random programs for a couple of days, they'll appear to be working just fine.

<fred> that doesn't mean they're actually fine.

<fred> some of them aren't even actually segregated properly on slamd64 (having not compared them against a pure64 x86_64 slackware build before)

<Shingoshi> Please see this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...37#post3548737

<fred> So what?

<fred> I made the slamd64 packages. I've compared them against the slackware64 system.

<fred> I promise you that they are not correct.

<fred> I don't care if they work for an app or two

<fred> so does installing libraries from any other 32-bit distro

<Shingoshi> Ok. So I'll warn people about the possible problems with doing this.

<fred> IMO it's simple:

<fred> If they need 32-bit compatibility, they should wait until it's actually available properly.

<fred> and stick with what they're currently using.

Now please, go ahead and argue with the above!! I said it would be UNSUPPORTED!!

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #201
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
I do not recall Fred giving you permission to post this conversation in a public forum. And remember, I was there too.

Eric

Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #202
Shingoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I do not recall Fred giving you permission to post this conversation in a public forum. And remember, I was there too.

Eric
I'm not the only one who this applies to. And I believe the comments in IRC are public. Would anyone rather that no one else saw this? There was no intent of spitefulness here. I made comments which needed to be publicly corrected.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #203
T3slider

Distribution: Slackware64-14.1

Rep: Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843
Shingoshi, you are clearly causing endless frustration with the Slackware team AND the Slamd64 team. Very few people can do that. Congratulations.

First of all, Slackware64 has nothing to do with Fred Emmott. WHY are you bothering him?? If you want to mix and match to attempt to get 32-bit compatibility, use HIS distro, which he has worked hard on. I am very sure he does not want to deal with ANOTHER distro that he has no control over (and gets no benefits from). It is very evident that the Slackware team is aware of the issues that you have parroted and repeated several (SEVERAL) times already. I think everyone in this discussion gets it. Slackware64 isn't released yet! Leave your complaints until it is. And even so, whether you like it or not, Slackware64 is a pure-64 distro, at least at this point in time. Either stick with 32-bit Slackware (which is working fine on my 64-bit CPU), use Slackware64 (which I'm sure would also work fine on my 64-bit CPU) or use Slamd64 (which would also work fine on my 64-bit CPU). If you *need* Slackware (and not Slamd64) and still *need* 32-bit compatibility, stick with regular Slackware. I assure you it works just fine.

I don't see why you need to pester and torture the people that are taking their OWN time to create this distro. Perhaps your investigative prowess () would be more appreciated if the Slackware64 team had posted interest in attempting to get 32-bit compatibility working, and asked for help or testing. As far as I know this has not yet happened.

Although I am interested in the development of Slackware64, I cannot stand reading your 30 posts per day on this thread that bring nothing new to the table and do not seem to do any good, and instead have the opposite effect of fracturing the opinions of the distro.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if you must.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #204
niels.horn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
Shingoshi, you are clearly causing endless frustration with the Slackware team AND the Slamd64 team.
And probably many other Slackware enthusiasts... This endless stream of posts is annoying and boring. No new information is added by it.

note to self: check with Jeremy the possibility to include a "thumbs-down" button

(ready to be flamed now)

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #205
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Void, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746
Thumbs up

Eric,

I am very-much looking forward to Slackware64 being released! My main desktop, a Dell intel core duo will hum with this new OS. I had no idea that this was all being done secretly. Very cool, man.
I am very grateful for your tireless dedication, and your willingness to give so much back to us! Thank you! The Slackware team rocks!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #206
Shingoshi

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...75#post3549675

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Old 05-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #207
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru

Distribution: slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301
Thanks for posting that T3slider, you're absolutely right, I don't see why he persists in trying to almost humiliate the slackware devs for not making the not even released slackware64 perfect from the start, almost like they shouldn't have released slackware64-current at all. I too wish I had a thumbs down button right now. Instead of trying to discuss things reasonably, to be patient, make suggestions etc. you Shingoshi just complain about how basically slackware64 is absolute crap, and how you're trying to work around it by using slamd64 compat libs, and then complaining that it doesn't work and that again slackware64 is crap.

Why can't you just be patient. I'm confident that these issues will be resolved in due time without all this flaming that you're causing. Patience is a virtue, one that you severely lack.

If Shingoshi doesn't STFU I will be ignoring him permanently, nothing he has said so far has been productive and this is not likely to change.

I mean has anyone else in this thread been as completely negative about slackware64 as Shingoshi has been. Everyone has cheered for slackware64, that finally an official 64-bit slackware had arrived after all this time, except Shingoshi, who seems to hate it with a passion, even tho it's not released it, it's still in -current form ... or am I wrong ... am I getting the wrong impression ?

Last edited by H_TeXMeX_H; 05-23-2009 at 04:26 AM.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #208
gargamel

Distribution: Slackware, OpenSuSE

Rep: Reputation: 242Reputation: 242Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Seems, this has gone a bit emotional here...

[...]

But in the past the Slackware team has always found the best answers to such dilemmas. I am confident, if there really is a problem, we'll see a solution for it, very soon.

gargamel
This is probably the first time I am quoting myself ,
but I think it just comes down to what I said in that previous post.

gargamel

Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #209
Dinithion

Distribution: Slackware 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 59
I suggest we follow good Internet policy and stop feeding the troll. It's a shame that a good and informative thread now is almost entirely filled up with garbage. If he haven't got it yet, I suspect he wont get it either.

That said, I would like to thank the slackware team for this excellent distro. I was actually starting to feel like slackware were starting to lag behind. But who would imagine it would turn out as the cleanest 64bit one could ask for?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #210
Slacker Prime
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
People, work together!

Tags
slackware, torrent