LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Shingoshi

Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 34
The steps likely required for upgrading Slackware to Slackware64.

I think the first step for anyone wanting upgrade to Slackware64, is to FIRST install the 64-bit kernel. If for any reason the rest of the installation fails, you will still be able to boot your system. However, if you still have a 32-bit kernel installed and try to install the Slackware64 glibc, you will have lost your system. This wouldn't be permanent though. You would simply have to use an installation disk to correct the problem. So here's what I think should be a safe course of action:

Wait until the release of Slackware64-13.0!!
Keep in mind, this is the only way to be able to run any 32-bit applications.
1.) Download and have ready the packages from Slackware64/a
2.) Download and have ready all of the ia32-packages from Bluewhite64.
http://mirror.inode.at/data/bluewhit...a32-emulation/
3.) Install the 64-bit kernel, along with the kernel modules.
4.) Reboot your system into the 64-bit kernel.
5.) Install the 64-bit glibc.
6.a) If you're still able to run your system, finish the update of other packages.
7.) Now install the Bluewhite ia32-packages.
6.b) If you wind up stopped at step #5, reboot your system. After reboot, the new glibc should be in use.
8.) Install and test any other packages.
9.) If you're unable to run the new glibc on the 64-bit kernel, you'll need to use an installation disk.

If you encounter the condition at step #9, do this:
1.) Boot your system using the installation disk.
2.) Mount your root partition, and any other partitions required for installation.
3.) Chroot into your root partition, and "cd /anywhere/you/have/your/packages.
3.a) Alternatively, you may run setup, select your root partition and bypass the disk format of course.
4.) Upgrade existing system packages.

Shingoshi

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-31-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
joutlancpa

Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post
I think the first step for anyone wanting upgrade to Slackware64, is to FIRST install the 64-bit kernel. If for any reason the rest of the installation fails, you will still be able to boot your system. However, if you still have a 32-bit kernel installed and try to install the Slackware64 glibc, you will have lost your system. This wouldn't be permanent though. You would simply have to use an installation disk to correct the problem. So here's what I think should be a safe course of action:

Wait until the release of Slackware64-13.0!!
snip....
>=(o_O)=>
That pretty much sums it up for me

Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
XGizzmo

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 69
I think it is reckless to post a how to for something like this that will almost surly break your system.
And to top it off it sounds as if you have not even tried this yourself. Why even start people down a path
that will likely end in disaster?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Shingoshi

Original Poster

Changing the order of one step!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post

Wait until the release of Slackware64-13.0!! [As presently proven, this is no longer required!!]
Keep in mind, this is the only way to be able to run any 32-bit applications.
1.) Download and have ready the packages from Slackware64/a
2.) Download and have ready all of the packages in Bluewhite64 extra/ia32-emulation/
3.) Install the 64-bit kernel, along with the kernel modules.
4.) Reboot your system into the 64-bit kernel.
This is the reordered step:
7.) Now install the Bluewhite64 ia32-packages.

5.) Install the 64-bit glibc.
6.a) If you're still able to run your system, finish the update of other packages.
6.b) If you wind up stopped at step #5, reboot your system. After reboot, the new glibc should be in use.
8.) Install and test any other packages.
9.) If you're unable to run the new glibc on the 64-bit kernel, you'll need to use an installation disk.

If you encounter the condition at step #9, do this:
1.) Boot your system using the installation disk.
2.) Mount your root partition, and any other partitions required for installation.
3.) Chroot into your root partition, and "cd /anywhere/you/have/your/packages.
3.a) Alternatively, you may run setup, select your root partition and bypass the disk format of course.
4.) Upgrade existing system packages.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>
It should be noted that I'm changing only one step here. But that step is likely very consequential. I believe you need to install the ia32 packages from Bluewhite64 BEFORE upgrading your existing glibc from Slackware. As I believe the 32-bit glibc will still be needed during the upgrade of your remaining packages. But you still need to install the 64-bit kernel and REBOOT FIRST!!

After having installed the ia32 packages, I was able to upgrade my running Slackware system, since the ia32 glibc is kept in /lib32. That prevents it from being overwritten during the upgrade process.

Last edited by Shingoshi; 06-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Shingoshi

Original Poster

I've already done this going from Slackware to Slamd64...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGizzmo View Post
I think it is reckless to post a how to for something like this that will almost surly break your system.
And to top it off it sounds as if you have not even tried this yourself. Why even start people down a path
that will likely end in disaster?
There's nothing about this that is presumed. I've already have experience upgrading a running Slackware system to Slamd64. The main reason why I said LIKELY steps, is because I didn't try this from "Slackware to Slackware64". If the only difference between Slackware64 and Slamd64, is Slackware64's omission of the 32-bit compatibility layer, you need to install it first. Because Slamd64 already had that layer as part of their system, I didn't have to go to extra steps to get it. It was already included as part of the process in upgrading.

I am now in the process of verifying that there should be no problems here. I've already had (samac's) confirmation that the Slamd64 32-bit layer works. The only question I have now is whether it can be installed to replace your existing and running Slackware glibc, without trouble caused by it.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Shingoshi

Original Poster

I've just been advised by Fred Emmott (the Slamd64 creator), that there will likely be issues of incompatibility with the Slamd64 32-bit packages. That seems to increase the need for having packages built exclusively for Slackware64, and not depend on any other packages from other distributions.

Slackware64 will need it's own 32-bit compatibility layer.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
samac

Distribution: Linux Mint 20.3 - Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
I would have thought that upgrading a system from 32 bit to 64 bit was a fools errand. Surely it would be much easier and safer to do a fresh install and just keep your old /home partition.

samac

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
rworkman
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351
I HAVE upgraded a system from slackware-current (32bit) to slackware64-current (partly out of curiosity, and partly so I could speak more authoritatively on the matter), and I can say with 100% certainty that you will need the installation disk if you try to upgrade following these steps, and if that's the case, you may as well just boot the installer and use:
Code:
ROOT=/mountpoint/of/slackware32 upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new /path_to/slackware64/*/*.t?z
and then chroot into that to fix up lilo and remove irrelevant packages.

I originally decided NOT to post a howto on this, if only to avoid having (answer|ignore) emails about problems encountered with it. However, since this is already out there, here's the short version:

You have to keep a 32bit libc around, as well as any 32bit libraries being used by any 32bit binaries you're running, for as long as they're (planning to) be(ing) used. If you don't understand what that means and how to make sure it happens, then don't try a live upgrade - there's no good reason to do it anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Shingoshi

Original Poster

Thank you for the further clarification!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
I HAVE upgraded a system from slackware-current (32bit) to slackware64-current (partly out of curiosity, and partly so I could speak more authoritatively on the matter), and I can say with 100% certainty that you will need the installation disk if you try to upgrade following these steps, and if that's the case, you may as well just boot the installer and use:
Code:
ROOT=/mountpoint/of/slackware32 upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new /path_to/slackware64/*/*.t?z
and then chroot into that to fix up lilo and remove irrelevant packages.

I originally decided NOT to post a howto on this, if only to avoid having (answer|ignore) emails about problems encountered with it. However, since this is already out there, here's the short version:

You have to keep a 32bit libc around, as well as any 32bit libraries being used by any 32bit binaries you're running, for as long as they're (planning to) be(ing) used. If you don't understand what that means and how to make sure it happens, then don't try a live upgrade - there's no good reason to do it anyway.
That's why I edited my previous comments above. It really occurred to me that the 32-bit libraries would still be needed during the upgrade.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

I'm adding this for everyone to read. Make sure you read this. It's IMPORTANT!!
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...00#post3549800

Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
Petri Kaukasoina

Rep: Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
If you don't understand what that means and how to make sure it happens, then don't try a live upgrade - there's no good reason to do it anyway.
I had a reason: I was not near the computer, so on Thursday I did the upgrade via a ssh connection. Running a 64-bit kernel, user level 3, I first installpkg'd glibc and aaa_elflibs, then installpkg'd everything -x86_64- in A and L series, then upgradekpg'd other packages (should have used upgradepkg --reinstall) from all series, rebooted, removepkg'd *[3456]86* packages. (Afterward I noticed that also the -noarch- packages had stuff at changed paths, but with unchanged package names, so I had to upgradepkg --reinstall them.)

Last edited by Petri Kaukasoina; 05-23-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
gargamel

Distribution: Slackware, OpenSuSE

Rep: Reputation: 242Reputation: 242Reputation: 242
...sorry, just noticed, someone else posted something similar already...

Last edited by gargamel; 05-23-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Shingoshi

Original Poster

Take these and call me in the morning!!

The method that I used to upgrade to Slackware64, was to first install the ia32-pkgs from Bluewhite64.
I did that before I did anything else. I'm going to edit my post above to make sure there is no confusion.

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Last edited by Shingoshi; 05-23-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Shingoshi

Original Poster

How much more needs to be said. The solution ALREADY existed!!

Actually, I'm running Firefox in Wine right now. Need I say anymore? And no, this IS Slackware64, albeit, with real multilib now!

Shingoshi
>=(o_O)=>

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 - Build ID: 2009042316

Edit: And I have since upgraded Firefox in Wine!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre) Gecko/20090601 Shiretoko/3.5pre - Build ID: 20090601044045

Last edited by Shingoshi; 06-01-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
Shingoshi

Original Poster

After having followed my own instructions on two separate computers, I can tell all users, there is NO further need to wait until Slackware64 is released to the public. Just make sure you have the Bluewhite64 ia32-packages installed BEFORE changing your glibc!

Shingoshi

Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
rworkman
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351
There is absolutely no need to install *anything* from BlueWhite64 in order to make the upgrade, and anyone who says otherwise should be ignored.