LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Nylex
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Acer Aspire One Atheros wireless: No scan results

Hi all, I'm having some trouble here and wondering if someone can help me. I have an Acer Aspire One, running Slack 12.1 with kernel 2.6.27.7 (that I compiled myself, obviously) and I can't get the wireless to go.

lspci -v gives:

Code:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Unknown device e008
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
	Memory at 55200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
	Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
	Kernel modules: ath_pci
Wireless options in the kernel (grep WIRELESS /boot/config/2.6.27.7):
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS=y
# CONFIG_IPWIRELESS is not set

I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset, so I didn't build support for it. As advised by this page, I downloaded http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi...current.tar.gz, built it and installed it (this provides the ath_pci module that the device is using). I ran "ifconfig -a" and saw an "ath0" listed. So, I went and ran "iwlist ath0 scan", but I get "ath0 No scan results". Any ideas what I can do to get this to work? There are wireless networks around (after all, I wouldn't be trying wireless if there weren't!)..

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Rep: Reputation: 65
I have not messed with atheros for a little while since my old notebook died. Yes that chipset is very odd. I only used the standard madwifi stuff. I believe you are on the right track using the latest svn release from my reading as well. I was thinking the interface needs to be up in order to scan but I could be wrong. I would try setting the IP for the interface static for starters and set no wep or wpa up yet. Just a plain static interface and then bring up the interface and try the scan again.

I was hoping there would be some listed drivers or install info from the uk side of Acer since you can get these units with linux. I forget the version it can come with. Check this link for lots of good Acer info. ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/ . There looks to be a few bios updates maybe.

I am interesting in one of these myself. Could you post the whole lspci output so I can review and see what I need to do to get one to work. Also lsusb info as well. Maybe info on sound from the command aplay. Example aplay -v some_wav_file. Webcam I am guessing is USB and will use the

I was also wondering how quiet this thing is just setting?

I may buy a few and use them for basic server and a DMZ firewall with a couple USB wired nics and maybe use the wireless as an Access Point if possible. Or use a linux compatiable USB wireless nic for that.

Thanks for help and if I think of a fix or find a webpage on this will post back. I probably will go with Fedora 9 when I do my install. May try net install when do this or just use my USB dvd drive. USB drive would be quick and easy. I was wondering how you installed slack on this unit.

Brian

Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Rep: Reputation: 65
Just did a search here and found this post with slack 12 and wireless setup. See if it helps.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...9/#post3353067

Brian

Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
T3slider

Distribution: Slackware64-14.1

Rep: Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843
This is the definitive guide to the madwifi drivers on Slackware (written by Alien Bob, of course). I don't know if your chipset is supported by the drivers or not (I haven't checked one way or the other), but if they are that guide should get you up and running.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Nylex
LQ Addict

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
This is the definitive guide to the madwifi drivers on Slackware (written by Alien Bob, of course). I don't know if your chipset is supported by the drivers or not (I haven't checked one way or the other), but if they are that guide should get you up and running.
That doesn't help me as those drivers don't work for the chipset I have and that's why I had to get the SVN release..

Brian, I already tried that link for Slack 12; it's the one I quoted in my first post. As for your other questions:

It's a very quiet machine and comes with Linpus Linux Lite (or something like that, I wasn't interested in using it), though they do have a version with Windows as well.

I'll post lspci/lsusb output later.

Yeah, I had to install Slackware using a USB CD-ROM drive because the machine doesn't have an optical drive, but that was fine. I found that it wouldn't boot with the huge or generic kernels (it was hanging and I couldn't find out why), so I built my own kernel. If you want to use the Ethernet port on the machine, you'll have to use a relatively new kernel (2.6.26 or later I think), because the driver gives a segmentation fault with earlier versions.

Anyway, does anyone have any more advice about what I can do to get the wireless to work?

Last edited by Nylex; 11-30-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
C-Sniper

Rep: Reputation: 33
Why are people still recommending madwifi? Have you tried using the ATH5k or ATH9k wireless drivers? Check out this website for some help with linux wireless. www.linuxwireless.org it should have what you need for Atheros based chipsets.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
T3slider

Rep: Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sniper View Post
Why are people still recommending madwifi? Have you tried using the ATH5k or ATH9k wireless drivers? Check out this website for some help with linux wireless. www.linuxwireless.org it should have what you need for Atheros based chipsets.
Because I'm very uninformed and don't even have a laptop and have never played with wireless under Slackware (or a 2.6 kernel). Also, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex
I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset, so I didn't build support for it.
Nylex, that guide should still be useful even if you have to use the SVN version. I wasn't implying that you directly use the madwifi drivers from that page...it does contain instructions on how to set things up as well.

I guess you should see if the native drivers work, as per C-Sniper's recommendations first. If not, try following the linked guide.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
C-Sniper

Rep: Reputation: 33
I did find something of interest regarding the 242x chipset.

Apparently it is the reference card based on the Atheros 5007EG chip (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Comp...therosAR5007EG). Therefore, ath5k and ath9k does not support it (from what i can see atleast). You will need the madwifi driver that has support for the 5007EG.

Last edited by C-Sniper; 11-30-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
Nylex
LQ Addict

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sniper View Post

Apparently it is the reference card based on the Atheros 5007EG chip (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Comp...therosAR5007EG). Therefore, ath5k and ath9k does not support it (from what i can see atleast). You will need the madwifi driver that has support for the 5007EG.
Please read people's posts in future. I already know that and have said so in earlier posts!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Nylex
LQ Addict

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
Nylex, that guide should still be useful even if you have to use the SVN version. I wasn't implying that you directly use the madwifi drivers from that page...it does contain instructions on how to set things up as well.
I'll have another look.

Quote:
I guess you should see if the native drivers work, as per C-Sniper's recommendations first. If not, try following the linked guide.
I really don't know what part of "I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset, so I didn't build support for it." (from my first post) is unclear.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
T3slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sniper

Please read people's posts in future. I already know that and have said so in earlier posts!
You're being a little rude here. You just said "I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset". 'Various places' does not provide any actual evidence that this is the case beyond you saying so. You could have quoted a source. Also, sometimes people are wrong or ill-informed when they say stuff like this (especially when they don't quote any sources). You happened to be correct here, but I would take C-Sniper's comments as clarification and not misreading. Please try to be a little more informative -- and nicer -- in your posts/replies.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider
I really don't know what part of "I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset, so I didn't build support for it." (from my first post) is unclear.
Now THAT is rude. You obviously didn't read MY post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sniper
Because I'm very uninformed and don't even have a laptop and have never played with wireless under Slackware (or a 2.6 kernel). Also, this:
Quote:
I've read in various places that the kernel's ath5k driver does not work for this chipset, so I didn't build support for it.
I read your post and understood what you said. However, it seemed like C-Sniper might know more than me -- and possibly you -- about the native kernel drivers, so I suggested that you should try that first. Note that I suggested this BEFORE C-Sniper's clarification. I ALSO suggested that, if in fact it doesn't work (as you suspected it wouldn't), to try following the guide I mentioned.

You will not get much help with that 'worthy' attitude of yours. You seem to carry a chip on your shoulder. We are merely helping out of our free time getting nothing in return. I know *nothing* about wireless setup in Slackware. All I did was post a link that basically described the madwifi driver setup in Slackware in detail in case you are doing something wrong. That's all I know, and I can't help further. Period.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Nylex
LQ Addict

Original Poster
I don't consider it rude to expect people to read a thread before trying to help.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
farslayer
LQ Guru

Distribution: linuxdebian

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
I checked the Debian how-to I used to setup my AAO (one of the links from my previous post) it also calls for the madwifi driver.. So you are definitely right on that count. (nothing like restating the obvious ehh ?)

They do make reference to a madwifi doc, which for some reason won't load for me, so I don't know if it's relevant to your situation or not. http://www.madwifi.org/ticket/1192.

I did have trouble at first with the wireless, Turns out I needed to manually turn on the wifi using the switch on the front edge of my netbook.. Not sure how much time I wasted before I realized the little yellow blinky LED wasn't even on, while I was trying to scan for networks.. :-/ how embarrassing..

Unfortunately I don't have my AAO with me to poke at right now, but I'll take a look when I get home this evening to see if there was anything else going on, if you haven't resolved this yet.

I'm sure you probably already ran through the madwifi troubleshooting .

Once you get the network up, this recommendation for wicd works well if you want a GUI to manage it. I'm running WPA2 from my AAO to my dd-wrt Linksys.
Quote:
A little note about WiFi and network-manager: It has been observed that network-manager does not work properly with the updated MadWiFi driver . You may need to configure the WLAN (e.g. ESSID, WEP/WPA) manually. Alternatively, wicd is performing beautifully for me.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
T3slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
I don't consider it rude to expect people to read a thread before trying to help.
As I already stated, I *did* read, I *did* undertstand, and I *did* mention that in my reply to C-Sniper. As for C-Sniper, I don't think he did anything wrong either. Your little one-liner saying you read 'somewhere' that the drivers don't work doesn't instill much confidence. You were correct, but as I said already, I don't think you can get angry at C-Sniper for clarifying something that really needed to be clarified since the native kernel drivers do work for a lot of Atheros cards (and you didn't provide ANY evididence WHATSOEVER to the contrary aside from your one-liner that could have been incorrect, for all we know).

I will second the use of wicd. It has helped a lot of people set up wireless cards that wouldn't work because of misconfiguration or non-conformance of the card to deal with Slackware's networking scripts. You can get a SlackBuild at slackbuilds.org.

I don't understand why your responses are so snarky. People are only trying to help. I read the thread and provided a link with a detailed explanation of madwifi setup in Slackware, which I believe should still work with the SVN version. I don't believe I have done or said anything to provoke such responses from any rational person. I merely provided a link containing information. That's it. Relax, and think out your next move in this wireless problem. So far I haven't seen any replies with actual results -- only replies criticizing any information given by other LQ members.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
farslayer
LQ Guru

Distribution: linuxdebian

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
While I don't know what the issue is with your wireless I'll toss some info in here so you can compare loaded modules, etc,. maybe something will click.

Code:
bruenor@netbookone:~$ lsmod  | grep ath
ath_rate_sample        11008  1 
ath_pci               202104  0 
wlan                  193040  5 wlan_ccmp,wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
ath_hal               300672  3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
I did see mention in the docs somewhere that the scan command will fail if wlan_scan_sta is not loaded.
Code:
netbookone:~# modinfo ath_hal
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/ath_hal.ko
license:        Proprietary
version:        i386-elf: 0.10.5.6
description:    Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)
author:         Errno Consulting, Sam Leffler
srcversion:     0A1FE312A435FE01528EB3D
depends:        
vermagic:       2.6.26-1-686 SMP mod_unload modversions 686
Code:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e008
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
	Memory at 55200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
	Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
	Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k
odd that mine lists ath5k, when the module is not loaded
http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/1192 <- corrected link from my previous post

Code:
netbookone:~# cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i ath
[    8.177142] ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
[    8.883711] MadWifi: ath_attach: Switching rfkill capability off.
[   12.154381] wifi0: Atheros AR2425 chip found (MAC 14.2, PHY SChip 7.0, Radio 10.2)
[   12.543644] ath_pci: wifi0: Atheros 5424/2424: mem=0x55200000, irq=18

If theres anything specific you want to see just yell.