LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
syntacticalerror
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Running vncserver at startup??

to all,

So here is the situation:

As of now, if i want to vnc into the console of my linux box......

1) I first must log into the box and invoke vncserver command so xvnc process starts.
2) Then from vncviwer from another box make connection with IP:0(0for console)
3) Dialog opens on vncserver box and i need to confirm.

I want to eliminate steps 1 & 3......
I noticed that Vncserver script is located in /etc/init.d, so i thought since the vncserver script starts a xvnc process, i naturally added vncserver to startup by using Chkconfig. However, even with vncserver added to runlevels 2-5 at startup, no xvnc processes are started.

I know i can accomplish by using Inetd or Xinetd, but i really want to know why this method doesn't seem to work. My xstartup script starts xvnc so why does the vncserver script therefore not start xvnc? thx

Old 07-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
tredegar
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Fedora38

Rep: Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435
I start a vnc server on my server by putting the following commands into /etc/rc.local so it is started at boot, and then just keeps running.

Code:
# Start a vnc server for tredegar
su - tred -c "cd /home/tred/ && vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24" 2>/dev/null &
Note that the server is started as my username, not root's.
Then I can connect to it with vncviewer server:1

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
syntacticalerror
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thx for the prompt reply, i'm going to have to try that later, right now i just have vncserver start for the specific account by editing /etc/sysconfig/vncservers. I am able to log in fine, however, the environments amongst the connected accounts are inconssitent, eg some with different geometry.

Since as of now i cannot find where to config vncserver to start the corrosponding XVNCs at certain specs, your method is more precise. During init, vncserver sets up the XVNCs for the accounts.......are these setup under root or the associated accounts?

Tags
vnc, vncserver, xvnc