LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
spaceballs

Distribution: Slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 30
Password protected network...

I posted this on the networking forum as well, but I know most of the brains hang out here, and it applied to Slack.

I need to get onto a password protected wireless network. I have the username and password, and I am completely authorized to get onto this network.

My question is, how do I do it? I run Slackware 12, so it didn't take all that much to get my regular wireless running at home. At school, the network is password protected, so I am not sure how to get it running.

I am sure there is a KDE tool to get this up and running, but I am not sure what to try. Can someone give me a hand?

This is not an encrypted network. It is only password protected.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: Arch, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
If it is not encrypted with WEP or WAP, then perhaps the username and password is started by java or some type of popup? Would you not just setup your wireless to access the network, then open a web browser which would give you the popup where you enter your username and password?

In the past, we've been on the road and used wireless at a hotel/motel which worked that way. I could logon to the network without every starting X, but could not transmit or receive traffic via CLI. I had to launch a web browser, which would automatically redirect to their site and give me that popup.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Please post your thread once and in only one forum. Posting a single thread in the most relevant forum is the only fair way to get attention, will make it easier for members to help you and will keep the discussion in one place. This thread is closed because it is a duplicate of http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ork...-612152/

Please read and understand the LQ Rules before continuing. Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread