LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
dennisk

Distribution: CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 30

Quote:
Installing dockapps from dockapps.org is a mystery to me, though. Is there a guide? I haven't been able to find one at the site.
Really simple, AtomicAmish, just untar the DockApp and follow the instructions in the README or INSTALL file.

Dennisk

Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #17
AtomicAmish

Distribution: Slackware 12.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisk View Post
Really simple, AtomicAmish, just untar the DockApp and follow the instructions in the README or INSTALL file.

Dennisk
Thank you, dennisk.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #18
gnashley
Amigo developer

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612
To any of you who are using DockApps, I'd be interested to know which ones you like or are interested in along with a link to the sources. I can also help get them to compile sometimes when there are problems. Kepp in mind that there are other DockApps written for the AfterStep window manager(and others) which will work (mostly) fine with WindowMaker. On my site in the DockApps section there are several patches which show pretty generically how to fix one kind of problem -the program runs, but doesn't display or runs with a titlebar.
Quite a few of the other ones on my site which are working required some other update or modification -usually regarding library linking.
As I mentioned before, libdockapp was changed and then incorporated into the wmaker libs. Some of the apps that I have still link directly to libdockapp which I also package and install separately.(I guess I need to re-upload those). A little more work would probably get those linking to the lib routines in (libWMaker ?? I think).
Another is DockApps which use libPropList. These also are/were available separately and then were incorporated into libWINGs. Fixing these is usually just a matter of adjusting the Makefile and/or header file.

The standard Slackware build of wmaker does not build the WINGs shared libraries, so DockApps which *have* been fixed to link properly may not build. You could build and install libPropList separately and then link to them. Or use the WindowMaker-0.92.0-sowings.patch from my site and recompile.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #19
gnashley
Amigo developer

Rep: Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612Reputation: 612
Sorry, I just can't resist giving as link to this screenshot of my desktop. It shows the bare WindowMaker without Dock or Clip, the taskbar panel, the ROX-Filer pinboard for most of the icons and in the lower right corner two DockApps are running. Don't think that I use this backgroung image every day -I used it just for this shot as I find it to be one of the more amusing images I've ever seen in my life. If it doesn't make you laugh or cry (or both), you are dead!
Some other day I'll post a few more screenies which show some regular windowed-apps running so you can see better how things fit together.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/..._screams-1.png

Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #20
dive

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnashley View Post
lol need a giant blow up of that on your desktop

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Lufbery

Distribution: Slackware 64 14.2

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
I rushed around this morning and cleaned up the directories abit. here's the link to the windowmaker stuff:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...s/WindowMaker/

And here's the link to the DockApps:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...load/DockApps/
Awesome!

Quote:
I'm going to look into the matter of using the kde menus -do you mean so that it creates menus that include all apps that have a desktop file? Or just the ones in your particular menu?
The menu editor included with WPrefs is fairly easy to use -with drag-n-drop addition and rearranging of items. But you may find the wmakerconf system easier to use. (Note that if you are using Slack-12.0 you'll probably need to add the gdk-pixbuf package for some of the programs I have there -just use the package from Slack-11.0)
Sorry, man, it's been a long week. I'm just now getting back to this.

I'm looking to somehow import my current KDE menu into Window Maker. I'm not sure how KDE menus work, so I'm not sure what a desktop file is.

Regards,

-Drew

Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Void, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746
That is a hilarious desktop, gnashley:-) Awesome stuff, man!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #23
Lufbery

Original Poster

Gnashley,

Your WM resources are awesome!

I've not made any changes to the default Slackware WM installation except to add the lines you pointed out above to the WMWindowAttributes file.

I'm starting to work with some of the doc apps to see which ones I like. I'm also, frankly, learning how to use WM. Along that line, I have a couple of question:

1) Why do icons for applications I have on the dock not show up on the desktop or clip when the application is minimized?

2) How do I change the resolution and refresh rate? Right now it opens at 1280x1024/60 HZ which looks pretty good but flickers too much for me. I set up my Xorg configuration to support 75 Hz at 1024x768 and can easily make that switch in XFCE and KDE. How do I do that in WM? Is that something I can do with the wmakerconf-2.9.2 WindowMaker Configuration Utility?

EDIT: I just found WM's documentation on their web site, so I'll poke around there and see what I can learn about my questions.

Thanks,

-Drew

Last edited by Lufbery; 09-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Lufbery

Original Poster

Quote:
Sorry, I just can't resist giving as link to this screenshot of my desktop. It shows the bare WindowMaker without Dock or Clip, the taskbar panel...
Where does one get the taskbar panel?

Regards,

-Drew

Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #25
gnashley
Amigo developer

Lufbery, you can get the taskbar panel under this directory, as well as fbpanel.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...eskTop/Panels/

Go up one level and look around for other basic components to build your own lightweight dekstop environment.

If you added those lines to your conf file, they disable all miniwindows and the icons which are used when the windows are minimized. If you want to see these extra icons on the desktop then you should not use those lines, or you can re-enable those features individually by using the Attributes settings.

Here's a nice way to add a menu item which lets you set the resolution, incidentally from Slackware contributor Piter PUNK. Save the following code as /usr/bin/resolution.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# resolution.sh - Piter PUNK
#
# This script makes a menu with all possible resolutions, and you can
# change to that resolutions with one "click".
#
# After change the resolution of screen, you need to "Restart WindowMaker",
# to put all windows and menus inside the new screen size.
#
xrandr | tr "*" " " | awk '
BEGIN { 
	print "\"Resolution\" MENU" 
} 

/^.[0-9]/ { 
	print "\"   "$2"x" $4"\" EXEC xrandr -s " $1 
} 

END { 
	print "\"Resolution\" END"
}'
Then open the wmPrefs utility -right click on desktop and choose Appearance >> Preferences Utility.
Go to the section for menu settings (6th from the right). This opens the menu on the desktop in edit mode. From the main window grab the bar which says 'Generated Submenu'. Drag it to your menu and place wherever you like(I put it in the Appearance submenu). Double-Click on it and change the name to Set Resolution and then hit enter. In the main window in the box for 'Command', enter /usr/bin/resolution.sh and then click 'Save'. Now you have an entry in your menu where you can choose from all available resoultions.

If you want to always have the resolution set for you automatically, probably the best way is to place the 'xrandr -s resolution??' command in your $HOME/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart script.

Also, as to your question about KDE menu items. There are several utilities which may help you there, like menumaker. Be sure to back up your current menu before using it though. I also used to use kde apps with wmaker. What I would do is simply start the kde kicker(is the panel still called that?) and start kde apps from there. Since a single kde app causes several processes to start, this actually makes them start much faster since the panel is already running. Sorry, I haven't used kde for years now so I'm not up-to-speed on it. Actually, I'm not sorry at all about that... only that I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by gnashley; 09-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Lufbery

Original Poster

Great stuff, gnashley!

I've got the wmCalClock and wmdrawer doc apps working for me. I've even got wmdrawer set up with my six most-used applications.

I'll try the resolution menu item soon. Thanks!

Oh, and running "kicker" got the task bar with KDE menu on the screen. WM is very versatile, isn't it?

Regards,

-Drew

Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #27
gnashley
Amigo developer

If you want the kicker to always start you should be able to start it and then save the session so it will be started for you the next time.
If you like wmdrawer, you migtht also try bbdock which acts kinda like the bar at the bottom of the old MAC classic.
If you ever feel bad about not having rotating 3D stuff, try wmcube-gdk. :-)

Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #28
gnashley
Amigo developer

Oh, here's probably the best place to find the most working DockApp sources:
http://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/ALTLinux...s/files/SRPMS/

I use sources from ALTLinux quite often. Most of these can be easily built direct from the SRPM's if you are using my src2pkg program, available here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...nload/src2pkg/

Last edited by gnashley; 09-20-2007 at 03:10 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #29
Lufbery

Original Poster

Hi all,

Here's a quick question: How do I set the caps lock key to be a control key with WM (or XFCE for that matter)?

I've modified my key map for the console, and I used a utility in KDE to do the same, but I haven't figured out how to do it for XFCE and WM.

Regards,

-Drew

Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #30
gnashley
Amigo developer

There's a GTK front-end to xbindkeys called xbindkeys_config which might do what you want. (xbindkeys_config-0.1.3.tar.gz). I'm not sure how you do it manually -possibly by editing your xorg.conf file or with something in an Xmodmap file.
Try this: create a file /etc/X11/xinit/Xmodmap and put this line:
keycode 66 = Control_L

It could also be a file in your $HOME if you only want the changes to apply to your desktop. In that case it would be ~/.Xmodmap (I think)