LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Phil123000
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora 6 Installation Error Messages

Hi - complete novice here so any advice what I am doing wrong would be great.

I am installing Fedora 6 core on a 2nd new hard drive in my PC. I am using the DVD install (and have checked the media is fine).

Initially when I installed I got to the choosing which drive to select and partitioning screen - and realised I hadn't formatted my new drive as it didn't show. Having formatted it to using windows disk manager and rebooting, once I choose to install linux (in GUI mode) I get the usual scripts running by fast for about 25 seconds, then the install hangs on a series of what I take to be error messages and I can't get any further (like I did before).

Messages are prefixed with lots of "f"s e.g. fffffff and it states <<EOE>> in acouple of places.

The last line reads something along the lines of:

sinitext+0x28ax28a/0x28e

I then get a couple of blank lines and a blinking underscore cursor. I can't shutdown using the PC's off switch and the keyboard does not do anything. The hard drive light and DVD rom light do nothing either?

New disc for OS is a master on secondary IDE and is in NTFS.

Anyone have any ideas??

Many Thanks

...Phil

Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Junior Hacker

Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 61
You do not need to partition/format a new drive to install an operating system, the operating system installer will do that during the partitioning stage. Have you tried setting it up the normal way with the new drive as slave on the first channel and optical drives on the second channel. Could be a bios setting issue.