LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
idecrash
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry ATI x1650pro 512mb AGP

Well i have installed cat control center but have 1 mre item im real new to linux but tried every distro i could dwnld and found Debian to be for me but i have 1 question that prob been posted 10000s of times. i configuring /ect/X11/xorg.conf in changing the identifier "ATI Radeon x1650 Pro and option "videoOverlay" "on" it says that i do not have enough disk space, But i think it is because i need to login as root but how do I login as root? And have there been any successes in installing a x1650 pro 512mb video in a linux system? and if anyone has trouble with the catylist control center installs i figured it out all but root login

Got ~RooT

Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
titopoquito

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current

Rep: Reputation: 144Reputation: 144
Hi idecrash,

how to login as root might depend on your setup, there might be several ways. Which desktop environment are you running? KDE? In this case start a terminal (in KDE menu --> System --> konsole), then type in (without the quote marks): "kdesu kedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf". Type in your root password and there you are, you can save your file.

Strictly in command line: Open a terminal, type "su", give in your root password, then choose any command line editor (nano or pico are nice for beginners) and change your file.

The worst method: If you have a graphical login manager running just login as "root".

I don't remember exactly the Debian setup, but I think you should have been asked for a root password in this process ...