LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Southpaw76

Distribution: Slackware-13

Rep: Reputation: 15
Minimum requirements for "Compiz"????

Hello all,
I was thinking of experimenting with Compiz or Beryl. I have an ATI Rage128 Pro Ultra TF AGP card and I wanted to see what the minimum requirements/ dependencies etc..etc.. Or if it was even possible with that card??? Any opinions or ideas are appreciated, thanx...

Old 05-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
b0uncer
LQ Guru

Distribution: CentOS, OS X

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well..if you can get 3d/direct rendering working with the card, you should be able to get Beryl. Since it's an ATI card it might create problems; I know that ATI's fglrx drivers support Radeon8500 and newer cards, but don't support older ones -- you may have to resort to MESA drivers or something, if your card is older (sorry I don't know). After that simply install Beryl (there are good instructions per distribution at their site) or Compiz and see if it works. It either works or not, and if it works it's either slow or not; there should not be a big difference if you compare Compiz with Beryl, if at all.

It's probably mostly up to your amount of RAM on the machine (and on your ATI card) how well those 3d desktops run..and of course if your CPU is _very_ old, it makes things worse. First thing is to get and install 3d capable drivers for your card.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru

Distribution: slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301
I would use dri for that card (dunno if fglrx supports that card, probably not):
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/dri_d...features.phtml

Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
folkenfanel

Distribution: Slackware-current !

Rep: Reputation: 59
Unhappy It seems it is not supported...

Hi

I would normally recommend upgrading to -current (which includes Compiz). The other way would be getting X11 7.1+ (either by compiling the modular X or by getting the binary packages from somewhere), after that using Compiz or compiling Beryl.

Take a look at this:

Hardware video card support under XGL
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Vide...port_Under_XGL

The same for AIGLX (in a normal X server 7.1plus whitout XGL)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX

It seems the ATI Rage 128 is unsupported.

P.S. I am using Compiz right now (Intel865G integrated card). It works smoothly (but I have to go back to KWin when I want to watch a movie - I can't get the "water" plugin to work either). I have seen Compiz running normally on a ATI Radeon 7000.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
folkenfanel

Wink current

I just saw you're already using -current so you HAVE compiz installed. This is my compiz starter script, which I call startcompiz. ( I recompiled it using gconf support so I could put a skydome and a cap, the vanilla Slackware-current compiz does not support gconf )

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Compiz starter for Slackware
# Folken
# (GPL) GPL 2007

# First we set a decent environment for Compiz to run whitout hassle
# The commented line has many plugins in correct order 
# The short commented line has fewer default plugins.
# The shortest only has gconf and doesn't need manual settings.
#compiz --replace miniwin decoration transset wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scle move neg resize place switcher trailfocus water & \
#compiz --replace gconf & \
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=TRUE \
compiz --replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom move resize place switcher & \
kde-window-decorator &
This is stopcompiz, my compiz stopper script (which goes back to KWin or Metacity, suit yourself) You can still type "kwin --replace &" and it would do exactly the same as "stopcompiz kde".

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Compiz stopper for Slackware
# Folken
# (GPL) GPL 2007

# We are going to set two functions up here. Compiz needs a lot of #resources to run, so
# sometimes when a resource eater (video) app wants to start X will #deny it access to
# resources being used by Compiz. We need to replace Compiz with #another WM, which
# generally will be the default WM of the DE ew are running (e.g. #KWin or Metacity).
function kde() {
kwin --replace &
}

function gnome() {
metacity --replace &
}

# Now we are going to properly use these functions according to our #desires
case "$1" in
'kde')
  kde
  ;;
'gnome')
  gnome
  ;;
*)
  echo "usage $0 kde|gnome"
esac
These scripts will only work if you already have 3D accelerated graphics...

Last edited by folkenfanel; 05-28-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
folkenfanel

Wink by the way and in short... for xorg.conf

Hi again

You have to add this to your xorg.conf in the proper sections:

Add this:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Add (or activate) this in the "Module" section
Code:
    Option "Load" "dri"
Add (or activate) this in the "Screen" section
Code:
    Option	"AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
I think that will do (plus other specifical tweaks for your card)

Old 05-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru

Distribution: slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkenfanel
Take a look at this:

Hardware video card support under XGL
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Vide...port_Under_XGL

The same for AIGLX (in a normal X server 7.1plus whitout XGL)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX

It seems the ATI Rage 128 is unsupported.
That sucks ... looks like it is not supported. Of course, those are from user reports, there is a slim chance you might be the first one to get it working