LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
FLX

Distribution: Fedora Core 5, SuSE 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Disk Mirroring Software

Hello,

I would like to create a slax based boot disk for making images of windows partitions (fat32/ntfs). Does anybody knows some good linux based software for this?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Dennis

Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
stress_junkie

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5

Rep: Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda of=hda-mbr.dd bs=512 count=1 conv=notrunc,noerror
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.dd bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
FLX

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply! The only thing is that i'm a newbie in linux and disk cloning/mirroring. I'm just looking for something an easy program todo this.

If its a free bootdisk (doesnt matter which OS) that also allows you to write to an USB hard drive, im happy too
I couldnt find any, so I was thinking of making an slax based bootdisk with the linux disk mirror software. That should work equivalently.

Regards,

Dennis

Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
evilc77
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX
Thanks for the quick reply! The only thing is that i'm a newbie in linux and disk cloning/mirroring. I'm just looking for something an easy program todo this.

If its a free bootdisk (doesnt matter which OS) that also allows you to write to an USB hard drive, im happy too
I couldnt find any, so I was thinking of making an slax based bootdisk with the linux disk mirror software. That should work equivalently.

Regards,

Dennis

D/l Sysrescuecd iso it will make a boot disk and it contains amongst others a program Partimage which will backup /image your hard drive. Best linux boot disk around.

Last edited by evilc77; 03-05-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
FLX

Original Poster
Thanks alot! I've been looking thru the program, the only problem is that ntfs seems highly experimental...is there maybe a other program or way?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
evilc77
LQ Newbie

While still new ntfs3g allows you read/write unlimited access to the NTFS partition this only apply's if you want to use/see that partition from Linux. For your imaging Partimage copies only data from hd it makes no difference to the drives format ie fat16,fat32,ext2,ext3,ntfs etc.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
FLX

Original Poster
if thats the case....why is the ntfs support experimental?

Last edited by FLX; 03-06-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
evilc77
LQ Newbie

If you want to read more on ntfs3g go here http://ntfs-3g.org/. The reference experimental was to it's status, most linux software is freeware and is being updated all the time. The latest on ntfs-3g is stable (see site).

Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Junior Hacker

Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 61
Check out these products

Bootitng is an amazing combination of tools but it is best to use it for making your partitions also. It aligns it's partitions according to C.H.S. values accurately compared to other partitioning tools, what this boils down to is that a compressed image created by bootitng of an existing partition not created by bootitng may require a slightly smaller/larger partition to restore the image by a couple bytes if the existing partition is not accurately aligned to C.H.S. values before the image was made. But, you can try it and make an image, then go through some of the restore steps without actually having a partition to put it in and it will tell you what size of partition the image needs. You can use it for free, if you install it for the boot manager features you get 30 days free trial to play with it and decide whether to pay $35.00 US or just remove it, (or put up with the warnings and keep using it for ever). It is shareware.
The images are compressed and only data, not free space is in the image. My Fedora uses opproximately 6GB of it's 10GB partition and the image(s) are around 1.5GB which I store in a shared data partition on my multi-boot computer and a copy on my USB drive for backup. You can send the image as it is being created to USB pen drive, USB hard drive, CD's, DVD, data partition/drive, etc.
Having bootitng installed and payed for I can use it to wipe (write 0's across the space) the messed up (if I mess it up), 10GB partition and make a new 10GB partition and re-load the image in around 8 minutes with P4 3.4Ghz processor. The other day I was desperate to recover some accidently deleted data on a customer's computer HDD and downloaded and installed what was disguised as Undelete software which was actually an .EXE type virus, my AVG anti-virus spotted it a few minutes later and said it took care of it, but it kept coming back, I had no fear, I re-booted the computer and spent a few minutes to wipe out my Win XP on a 15GB partition, re-loaded the fresh fully updated installation image of it and re-booted in a clean "no virus" environment and carried on in less time than it takes to make a cup of coffee.
I use expensive 30 trial video editing software for putting together great DVD copies of old VHS movies, when the 30 days are up, I wipe out the partition I was using, re-load an image, re-size the partition (Win XP), with bootitng to 40GB to have enough room for editing video, and re-install another 30 days trial from the .exe that is stored on the data partition. In about a half hour I'm back editing video with a nice full featured editing suite.
I have Fedora which is a little quirky, when a new kernel update comes out, because I've had some kmod-nvidia packages give me problems in the past, I make an image of the smooth running Fedora before applying updates. Then after a week, if everything seems OK, I'll make another image and get rid of the one before, then apply the next batch of updates. Fedora has this "dependency hell" issue that does not bother me thanks to bootitng.
Some times I'll have up to three copies of Fedora on the same drive, all made from the same image, all using same shared /home partition and user when testing out software or whatever instead of taking chances with the smooth clean casual use copy. I can do that with any OS.
If you just want to image your existing partitions, check out their other products, Image for Linux, and Image for Windows.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Last edited by Junior Hacker; 03-06-2007 at 05:50 PM.