LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
vdemuth

Distribution: Slackware 14 (Server),OpenSuse 13.2 (Laptop & Desktop),, OpenSuse 13.2 on the wifes lappy

Rep: Reputation: 98
Error while parsing chunk header. Mplayer error only under Slack

Hi all,
I get the "Error while parsing chunk header" message using Mplayer under Slack when attempting to play ANY streaming media from the net. Under Mdk this does not seem to be a problem.
I have googled, yahooed and asked jeeves for help on this but without any posotive results so I thought I would ask the experts on the forums here (nice bit of creeping there!)
I have the very latest version -MPlayer-1.0pre5- which was compiled with the --enable-gl switch, and completed without error. I also all the latest codecs, which I installed prior to compiling MPlayer, as per the install instructions, so now I don't know what else to try.
Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Old 07-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
vdemuth

Distribution: Slackware 14 (Server),OpenSuse 13.2 (Laptop & Desktop),, OpenSuse 13.2 on the wifes lappy

Original Poster
bump

Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
wipe

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 30
It would help if you gave more of the output of MPlayer, the command you use to run it and the address of the file you're trying to play. There are many bugs and many reasons for them; without details it's often impossible to guess what's wrong.

Are you really sure that you're running 1.0pre5? If you had an older version installed and the new one ended up in a different directory, you might be running the old one inadvertently. If you installed on top of a previous installation, it might have mixed things up.

Is the working MPlayer the same version?

There has been at least one known bug with asf and asx files. It can be circumvented with the -playlist option. Either gmplayer -playlist http://address.to.some/file or:
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/m...ry/042917.html

MPlayer's homepage has a searchable mailing list archive.

Simon

Old 07-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
vdemuth

Original Poster
Found a temporary solution, by using the Mdk executable instead of the one I compiled, (had to install the lirc package though), then everything is now working as I expected, so obviously I need to have a much closer look at the compile time options to figure out what's going on.
Or, by wgetting the offending links, and retrieveing the real url, then I can open them from the command line. However, this doesn't help when the real url is buried within a piece of java, so I will try and keep this thread updated when I have found the correct cure for the problem.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
kaviazzz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdemuth
Found a temporary solution, by using the Mdk executable instead of the one I compiled, (had to install the lirc package though), then everything is now working as I expected, so obviously I need to have a much closer look at the compile time options to figure out what's going on.
Or, by wgetting the offending links, and retrieveing the real url, then I can open them from the command line. However, this doesn't help when the real url is buried within a piece of java, so I will try and keep this thread updated when I have found the correct cure for the problem.
im having the same error im trying to get an mms link to play mms://best.live24.gr/best1222 but the strange think about my problem is that sometimes works... dont know how and why but if i try 20-30 times it might work without making any change, (the stream works on my windows box) I installed evrything i found about codecs when i was trying to make mp3 work.. but i think the problem is not on my computer i also tried from an other linux machine that was running ubuntu and i got exactly the same error..

that is what i get

kav@susebox:~> mplayer mms://best.live24.gr/best1222
MPlayer 1.0rc1-SUSE Linux 10.2 (x86_64)-Packman-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (Family: 15, Model: 43, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://best.live24.gr/best1222.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://best.live24.gr/best1222
Resolving best.live24.gr for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: best.live24.gr
Resolving best.live24.gr for AF_INET...
Connecting to server best.live24.gr[70.85.202.226]: 1755...
Connected
read error:: Operation now in progress
pre-header read failed
Connecting to server best.live24.gr[70.85.202.226]: 80...
Connecting to server best.live24.gr[70.85.202.226]: 80...
Cache size set to 64 KBytes
Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes) Ahhhh, stream_chunck size is too small: 4
Error while parsing chunk header
Cache fill: 14.93% (9783 bytes)
ASF file format detected.
Clip info:
name:
author:
copyright:
comments:
==========================================================================
Requested audio codec family [acelp] (afm=dshow) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x130.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

so what exactly did u do to make it work
and please keep it simple im new to linux

Last edited by kaviazzz; 02-18-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
kaviazzz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
i ve also posted a link that works for me ....

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ms#post2603882