LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
deepclutch

Distribution: Debian Bookworm

Rep: Reputation: 34
Post will the future of Linux lies with KDE DE

It seems all are kde users and Linus himself is admitting he uses KDE...so is that like GNOME users are going to be alienated for using GNOME?
We,GNOME users,do we have to leave GNU/Linux if we dont use KDE(we dont want to move to kde even @ cost of death)
what will be the future of XFCE?if XFCE also rises to the level of popularity near KDE,do XFCE ppl also need to leave using Linux?please Linux users is it right?
I have my BP climbing max after reading a pdf mag called tuxmagazine and its public bashing of GNOME project...why?
why Slackware purposely removed GNOME from its distro for kde?i know alternate GNOME offerings are there.

Is it good for Linux OS to eliminate GNOME,XFCE and other GTK2 based DEs and stick only on qt/kde...many are saying open source is about choices...but i find my choice GNOME is the favourite for bashing out...by kde fanboys.
what should we,GNOME users need to do?do we shift ourself to any pro-GNOME OS if any.for me,i am trying freebsd,opensolaris...any way to nirvana?

One more:Is KDE the next borg as is the microsoft..

Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Not sure what you think is going on here? Are you accusing KDE of attempting to create a monopoly??

KDE is popular, as is Gnome. KDE teams and Gnome teams collaborate on occasion. Linux is now and always has been about choice. Use Gnome, KDE, XFCE or whatever.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
deepclutch

Distribution: Debian Bookworm

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 34
Smile

but you cant ignore the gnome bashing we found on the net...whether it is purposely or not..let the thread lives..
just do a search on google for GNOME bashing
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=GNO...ient=firefox-a

tux magazine and kde fanboyism
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000255

Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Tortanick

Rep: Reputation: 30
KDE is the best DE around. But I can't see gnome going away any time soon.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Hitboxx

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 68
Well there will always be a debate, but honestly i don't think any one DE will take over Linux. Like Ray said its about choices. Nevermind the bashing or fanboyism, at the end of the day what matters is, how comfortable you are, in whatever you use.

I use Gnome and love it, give me Gnome anyday over KDE, frankly i don't even touch a KDE only distro. Oops, am i fanboying?? But sadly i have to admit, the pace of development in KDE is much faster than Gnome.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
XavierP

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
KDE Bashing: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=KDE...ient=firefox-a

Linux has a long history of fanboisms, flame wars, etc etc - GNU/Linux vs Linux, Vi vs Emacs, KDE vs Gnome and so on. Just because we, as users, argue a lot (the joy of hanging out with nerds, I'm afraid) does not mean that in the end there will be an overall victor. Or that that is anyone's aim.

Just sit back and enjoy the array of choices available to you.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
hbush

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Mandriva x86-64

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
KDE is popular, as is Gnome. KDE teams and Gnome teams collaborate on occasion. Linux is now and always has been about choice. Use Gnome, KDE, XFCE or whatever.
Exactly. There will never be common consent, because people are all different - and thanks God they are. Imagine world where all people would be identical - what a nightmare! "Common consent" can be only imposed by brute force, like in totalitarian empires or huge monopolies. The strength of Open Source Sofware is particularly based on real choice and therefore by exploring and developing different systems all over wide spectrum suitable for different people. That's similar how Mother Nature works, all possibilities get their opportunity to try and (maybe) succeed.

In short - use what you like, tell others about advantages of what you use, help to develop what you like, BUT don't try to impose (or force) "single best" mandatory solution suitable for all. That doesn't work and never will.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Tortanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
Just sit back and enjoy the array of choices available to you.
And the flame wars, the ultimate spectator sport.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Crito

Distribution: Kubuntu 9.04

Rep: Reputation: 53
This is probably overflow from slashdot article this morning. Already 337 comments over there and it's barely after 9AM EST.
Quote:
"The flame wars between Linus Torvalds and the GNOME community continue to burn. Responding to Torvalds' recent claim that GNOME 'seems to be developed by interface Nazis' and that its developers believe their 'users are idiots,' a member of the Linux Foundation's Desktop Architects mailing list suggested that Torvalds use GNOME for a month before making such pronouncements. Torvalds, never one to back down from a challenge, simply turned around and submitted patches to GNOME and then told the list, '...let's see what happens to my patches. I guarantee you that they actually improve the code.' After lobbing that over the fence, Torvalds concluded his comments by saying, 'Now the question is, will people take the patches, or will they keep their heads up their arses and claim that configurability is bad, even when it makes things more logical, and code more readable.'"
I like Linus' style. My personal opinion: KDE is (or has become) a fat bloated pig designed to make me waste half my life staring at a spinning hourglass.

As with security, more is not always better. You have to strike a balance. I'm sure there a very good and sound benefits to everything the KDE developers have implemented. I'm just not so sure they think in terms of (my) time being money. In short and IMVHO: Any new feature that negatively affects performance has a cost that needs to be weighed against the benefit before that feature is implemented. If the cost is too great and the benefit too small, I can live without it.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
fyanardi

Distribution: Debian sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
It seems all are kde users and Linus himself is admitting he uses KDE...so is that like GNOME users are going to be alienated for using GNOME?
We,GNOME users,do we have to leave GNU/Linux if we dont use KDE(we dont want to move to kde even @ cost of death)
what will be the future of XFCE?if XFCE also rises to the level of popularity near KDE,do XFCE ppl also need to leave using Linux?please Linux users is it right?
I have my BP climbing max after reading a pdf mag called tuxmagazine and its public bashing of GNOME project...why?
why Slackware purposely removed GNOME from its distro for kde?i know alternate GNOME offerings are there.

Is it good for Linux OS to eliminate GNOME,XFCE and other GTK2 based DEs and stick only on qt/kde...many are saying open source is about choices...but i find my choice GNOME is the favourite for bashing out...by kde fanboys.
what should we,GNOME users need to do?do we shift ourself to any pro-GNOME OS if any.for me,i am trying freebsd,opensolaris...any way to nirvana?

One more:Is KDE the next borg as is the microsoft..
You can't just say kdefanboys always bash GNOME, there are also many cases where KDE is bashed (you can't deny it), especially these recent years with Ubuntu growing really fast. The rule is simple, if you see trolls, don't feed them (and don't become another troll). We will always see flamewars (sometimes quite fun to watch that ), as in Vi vs Emacs, KDE vs GNOME, *ehm* Windows vs Linux, Ubuntu vs any other distros (I've nothing against Ubuntu, just sometimes the fanboys are just irritating). And IIRC, the reason why Patrick Volkerding decided to remove GNOME from Slackware official (you can still get GNOME from dropline) was because packaging GNOME requires a lot of time (I also had experience compiling GTK+ and GNOME from scratch, which was quite painful and headache).

Even those KDE developers and GNOME developers are not hating each other, so why you always try to bring this problem (I've seen many posts of you in LQ awards forum). So I suggest that you keep calm and enjoy GNOME or whatever DE you like, I believe that none of the DEs will take over Linux (or BSD).

Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
zborgerd

Distribution: Slackware / Dropline GNOME

I think that the most important thing is...

Use what you want to use. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks (even Linus, for that matter).

Old 02-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
In the 7+ years that I have used Linux and been a member of the opensource community, I have noticed that its mainly users who get fanatical about stuff. KDE and GNOME developers collaborate on a lot of things and generally get along. One thing you should note is that developers whether working on the same project or not, can be very passionate about things and engage in debates that may seem like fighting when observed by outsiders. When Linus criticises GNOME because he thinks there are things they could do better, don't think that he hates GNOME, he is just a software developer pointing out what he thinks about the software and the developer community built around it. Linus is someone who isn't afraid to say things and if it annoys someone else then tough (take a look at some of his posts on the kernel mailing list). The good thing I like about Linus (even though I don't always share his points of view) is that he can back up his arguements either with code or concrete explanations.

GNOME is not going anywhere anytime soon and the same applies to KDE so stop worrying about their future and don't get sucked into pointless flamewars.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #13
introuble

Distribution: Debian -unstable

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
It seems all are kde users
Ubuntu default desktop: GNOME; Fedora Core default desktop: GNOME.

In any case, wm2 is going to take over soon, just wait and see.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #14
dubz_444

Distribution: Arch Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by introuble
Ubuntu default desktop: GNOME; Fedora Core default desktop: GNOME.

In any case, wm2 is going to take over soon, just wait and see.

Yes but i would think that the wise money is on enlightenment. It has all the looks,with none of the bloat.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905
In my experience, the people who become "flameboys" about things, like the coders who identify themselves with a particular language and extol its virtues while defending it against all critics, haven't used enough tools yet. Having written code professionally in about 20 languages so far, and eight operating systems, I don't think I could feel any alliegance for any of them.

Linux gives you a choice. It's not like "that other OS" which gives you exactly one poorly-implemented choice (then spends six years and six billion dollars changing the look of it a wee bit and calls it "a wonderful new release" ). But nonetheless, eventually you will choose, and that will wind up being the environment that you use most of the time.

On my systems, I use several different accounts, one for each purpose. (It's like having several offices with individual locks on each one, with the appropriate filing-cabinets locked inside.) So, "just for sh*ts an giggles" you know, I use a different desktop environment on each one. Keeps me from thinking that my Linux machine can only do one thing. In fact it makes it feel like an entirely different system, and that can be great for creativity.

Tags
gnomebashing