LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
ihatewindows
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb netgear

right i'm thinking of getting dsl but i'm wondering if my netgear usb adaptor will work with it. The reason why i'm wanting to get rid of XP (got i feel so dirty saying THAT word on here!!) is because since sp2 was launced there has been 62 that right 62 "critical updates" for it. another reason less virus are written for linux and it will help my 300 mhz system run quicker.

Death to XP!!

when i find out the box i'll tell you the model number.

If this helps it was brought from pc world for £49.99
The model number is WGT624 V3

THe usb model number is wg11T. i'm just wondering if would work if it doe'nt it no big loss beacuse we have another machine downstairs with net acess

just wondering if the usb is compabile with dsl?

Another thing what the hell are you going on about wraping or something like that becuse i'm new to the world of linux and i don't have F&*%$£g clue about how to do what you say

sorry i'm just so use to THAT company os' and need a bit of help!!

Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED THANK YOU BRIAN1

Last edited by ihatewindows; 01-25-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Rep: Reputation: 65
Post the make, model, and version of the adapter.

The HCL section located here at the top or to the right may list the device you are questioning about. It can lead you to what is needed to make use of it. It should work one way or another. Some are supported through the kernel but not many new devices. Others require and additonal module to be installed. If of the atheros family one would install madwifi. If none exist then using the ndiswrapper module should work. It uses the Windows inf file to interface with it. Works really well from my usage of it.

Use the search tool here looking for you nic can help as well as learning about ndiswrapper. Searching at google is great help as well.

Brian

Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
ihatewindows
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
netgear update

the model number is wgt624 hope that helps!!

GOD WINDS OS C**P

Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

That is a model number of a router.
Did you need help with the router or a USB wireless nic?
If USB then post the model number of the USB nic.

Brian

Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Brian1
LQ Guru

From your PM to me you mention it is wgt111t.

I check the HCL section here and no listing of it there.
Searched google for it and no luck there.

When I mention ndiswrapper it is a tool that uses the windows inf driver to run the card under link. Goto the ndiswrapper web site to learn more about it. One note if you go this route you need to have the kernel source of your current running distro installed so as to build the ndiswrapper module. It is built to match your kernel. It will only run on that kernel. If you upgrade you need to recompile to work with the updated kernel.

Search the forum as well to learn more about ndiswrapper. There are a few stickies here on it so read through those as well.

Post output od /sbin/lspci

Brian

Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Brian1
LQ Guru

I went over to netgear to check it out and that model number is incorrect. Is it a USB one model number wg111t?
If wg111t then check this post here. post#1 mentions installing ndiswrapper and #75 mentions your adapter. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ghlight=wg111t
There are others listed here as well on google.
Also check this one. http://www.theloveoflinux.com/hwdb/i...=8&EntryID=246

Brian

Last edited by Brian1; 01-24-2007 at 06:01 PM.