LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
moosensquirrel
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Network Card Issues

I am new to Suse Linux but anxious to get connected. I could go into my experience with the old Dos days but won't go into that here. Since I have installed Suse I have not been able to get it to recognize my Airlink wireless card. It is in a card slot, cannot remember the letters designating it, on an old HP laptop with a P-2 processor. I contacted the Airlink website for help, but they replied they did not support and Linux installs. Is there a way to set up Suse so I can use this wireless network card or do I go shopping for one that is on the HCL. I have downloaded on my Windows PC serveral manuals on line in PDF format to assist me with the learning curve. So far I haven't had much luck with understanding the acronyms used with Linux. It hard to teach an old Windows person new tricks. I also somehow lost the Suse or Linux start button. Somehow KPE is now the start button and the start menu has changed. I am also curious about the look of the Novell Suse desktop. I have viewed the demo and it seems to be very user friendly but the price is way out of line. That is another motivator to move to Suse. If you have some advice for an old Dos person, let me know about the questions above. Soon to be a Suse groupie with your help!

Old 12-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
titopoquito

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Many use ndiswrapper to get their wirless cards working in Linux. At http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...index.php/List you can take a look if your card is supported, but you need your card's precise name.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
JAKK

Distribution: Slackware 11

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi. This site is really nice for finding drivers for a particular card. If you do want to buy a new card,I can recommend the zyxel g-102. I just got one for $10,and I had no trouble getting it to work at all. I can't answer your other questions because I don't use suse,sorry. Also,at some point you will probably have to use a terminal,so it's good that you've worked with a cli before. I found that being comfortable with the dos cli helped me in linux.