LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #31
status1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Hello,
I see what you mean now.
The book is a little bit off
I have 1.3.3 as compile problem

I already rebuilt it after the last post
I made my own logfile based on your past sugestion 1> mylog 2>&1
Sorry I am not sure which buildlogs you ar refering to.
Are they created by make or make check or is this just mylog or whatever I create to capture the file as it's being built ?
I did not see any logfiles or buildlogs in /glibc-build except the config.log
BTW I forgot to answer the question about configure in my last post.
Yes the error with the "/dev/null" is still there right from the begining
but it continues past it and finishes with exit 0

I looked at that buildlog for 6.1.1 (chapter6 glibc 2.3.4) and it's pretty similar to mylog that was created with make -k check
I will try to copy it here and edit it for what my file looks like
That's actually one long line that wraps around

gcc wordexp-test.c -c -std=gnu99 -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -g -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -I../include -I. -I/sources/glibc-build/posix -I.. -I../libio -I../nptl -I/sources/glibc-build -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -nostdinc -isystem
/tols/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/include -isystem /tools/glibc-kernheaders -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h -DNOT_IN_libc=1
-o /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.o -MD -MP -MF /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.o.dt -MT /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.o

Then the next long line

gcc -nostdlib -nostartfiles -o /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test -Wl,-dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -Wl,-z,combreloc -Wl,-z,relro /sources/glibc-build/csu/crt1.o /sources/glibc-build/csu/crti.o `gcc --print-file-name=crtbegin.o` /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.o -Wl,-rpath-link=/sources/glibc-build:/sources/glibc-build/math:
/sources/glibc-build/elf:
/sources/glibc-build/dlfcn:/sources/glibc-build/nss:
/sources/glibc-build/nis:/sources/glibc-build/rt:
/sources/glibc-build/resolv:/sources/glibc-build/crypt:
/sources/glibc-build/nptl /sources/glibc-build/libc.so.6 /sources/glibc-build/libc_nonshared.a -lgcc -Wl,--as-needed -lgcc_s -Wl,--no-as-needed `gcc --print-file-name=crtend.o` /sources/glibc-build/csu/crtn.o

/sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.o(.text+0x402): In function `main':
/sources/glibc-2.3.4-20040701/posix/wordexp=test.c:249: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'

Then another long line this is the only one that shows after running make check a second time after the first without rebuilding it

GCONV_PATH=/tools/build/glibc-build/iconvdata LC_ALL=C /sources/glibc-build/elf/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /sources/glibc-build:/sources/glibc-build/math:
/sources/glibc-build/elf:/sources/glibc-build/dlfcn:
/sources/glibc-build/nss:/sources/glibc-build/nis:
/sources/glibc-build/rt:/sources/glibc-build/resolv:
/sources/glibc-build/crypt:/sources/glibc-build/nptl /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test > /sources/glibc-build/posix/wordexp-test.out
Then the make check stops after the error

Here are the other errors from runing make check with the -k flag

From the top
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/posix/wordxp-test.out] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out Error 1 (ignored)
make[1]: *** [/posix/tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-mutex8.out Error 127
The same error (Error 127) is repeated for tst-cond7.out,tst-cond8.out,
tst-once3.out, tst-once4.out, tst-key3.out
These 2 have (Error 1) tst-basic3.out, tst-basic4.out
Then more Error 127's all in the /sources/glibc-build/nptl directory
about 43 files
Then just a few more after that
make[1]: *** [nptl/tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/rt/tst-mqueue8x.out] Error 127
make[1]: *** [rt/tests] Error 2
make: *** [check] Error 2

Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 AM   #32
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
Hi,

You need to post the actual output from your own build (the output of your make check to be exact). If there are any errors in the config.log, post these too.

It's impossible to determine what happened if you mix parts of a non-relevant (6.1.1) log and some of your own output.

You also mention running make check a second time, this could be of use later on, but for now I'm only interested in the output from a clean (first time) build.

BTW: Could you put code or quote tags around the posted output and put your comments below them (or make them bold), it makes the output a lot easier to read.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #33
status1

Original Poster
Hello,
That was the actual output from my code.
The only reason I used the 6.1.1 as a reference is to save on typping.

If that is not relevant I am not sure what else I can do that is different
than my output

That output was from a clean build.
I will make another clean build again to double check but I am pretty sure it's all there.

I will look in config.log to see if I can find any errors.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #34
status1

Original Poster
Hello,
I did a little experimenting and I seem to have stumbled upon a solution.
This may mean I have to deviate from the book at least just temporarily.

I know you said earlier

" The ramfs mount is done on top of the previous mounts (console/null), this would mean that ramfs is mounted on top of the previous /dev and the /dev/null and /dev/console entries are still there, but not visible/reachable. The udevstart command (command after mounting ramfs) should create the needed device nodes (on demand)."

But I was thinking for some reason during configure on the first line
when it's looking for /dev/null it doesn't see it or it's not "reachable"
So I left everything out of "populating dev"
I exited and reentered chroot (I did not reboot) and went straight into
configure.
Right away I noticed that I no longer had the error about the /dev/null
So after doing " make" I ran "make -k check" to a logfile and after examining it I noticed I no longer have the wordexp-test.out error but I still had all the other ones.
Then I ran "make check" without loging it and it went through to the end without errors.
So I figured I may as well go ahead and do the "make install" and that also went all the way to the end without errors.
I also got a message on the last line
"Yout new glibc installation seems to be ok"

Now the question did I mess up anything by not populating dev ?

Would it be safe to continue normally from here ?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #35
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
Hi,

This sounds very unconventional

Populating /dev is an important part and I doubt you can do without. But you can always try.

I don't think glibc is the problem, but rather something you did or did not do in the previous chapters. I was hoping to get a clue by examining the glibc logfiles. The /dev/null and other /dev related issues could be at the heart of all this.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #36
status1

Original Poster
Hello,
I am proceding cautiously.
I finished glibc and the readjusting the toolchain and the sanity check went well but now I have a problem at installing binutils 6.13
The expect -c "spawn ls" command is giving me the
"The system has no more ptys." error that is in the book
I hope this is not related to the glibc installation
I put back the commads for populating dev after I finished glibc so I don't think it's caused by that.
I will make a new post for this since this is no longer related to the original post