LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #31
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeks
Hey didn't you guys notice that PackMan page has changed? The instructions on HOWTO for libdvdcss are not there anymore...

Can someone please post them here?
Its not difficult to install libdvdcss (actually its mentioned in the first post of this thread). Download the rpm from videoland.org and then install it using the rpm command.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #32
ahedler

Distribution: SuSE 10.0, Knoppix

Rep: Reputation: 17
no DVD video playback any more

Does anyone know why my DVD video playback has broken recently under SuSE 10.0?

I have had libdvdcss, xine, kaffeine, etc. all installed and working for maybe a year now, and was able to play commercial DVDs on at least 2 of my boxes without a problem, but just recently I found that the video will not display, I only get a green screen while the sound track plays. WTF? Where do I need to look to debug/fix this? Was this caused by an update? Is it related to the removal of libdvdcss from packman (I had that as one of my update sources)?

Thanks very much for your help!

-Alan

PS: Please let me know if this should be a new thread.

Last edited by ahedler; 10-04-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #33
joint

Distribution: Debian Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up Great

It's working wonderfully...
Thanx for sharing

Old 11-06-2006, 01:58 AM   #34
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe 10.1 (64 for desktop, 32 for laptop)

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smart not starting ...

I've been trying to get xine working without knowing this thread was here, and the fix seems easy enough. I downloaded the specified rpm's (i took the newest versions, the ones from october this year) and they seemed to install just fine. I have the app in my program list, but when i go to start it up, the computer spins for a few minutes, then terminates the program with no error messages or anything. This happens in both Gnome and KDC, logged in as root or as a regular user. Any ideas what's going on?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #35
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatheriac
I've been trying to get xine working without knowing this thread was here, and the fix seems easy enough. I downloaded the specified rpm's (i took the newest versions, the ones from october this year) and they seemed to install just fine. I have the app in my program list, but when i go to start it up, the computer spins for a few minutes, then terminates the program with no error messages or anything. This happens in both Gnome and KDC, logged in as root or as a regular user. Any ideas what's going on?
Start Konsole or gnome-terminal and then run "kdesu smart-gui". Post back any errors that get printed on the terminal.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:30 AM   #36
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddazz
Start Konsole or gnome-terminal and then run "kdesu smart-gui". Post back any errors that get printed on the terminal.
Here's the entire printout of the terminal session, a lot of it repeats of itself, but ...

Quote:
linux-b00g:~ # kdesu smart-gui
sh: smart-gui: command not found
_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address 1
Session management error: Could not open network socket
kbuildsycoca running...
Cannot open client
akode: Guessed format: xiph
KNotify:layTimeout
linux-b00g:~ # KNotify:layTimeout
On a side note, this is the second time running that command, the first time included a ton of missing database errors or something like that

Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #37
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
It seems like smart-gui is not installed. Can you post the results of doing,
Code:
$rpm -qa | grep -i smart

Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #38
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Quote:
It seems like smart-gui is not installed. Can you post the results of doing,
Code:
$rpm -qa | grep -i smart
Quote:
linux-b00g:/home/heatheriac # rpm -qa | grep -i smart
smart-0.42-14.guru.suse101
smart-ksmarttray-0.42-14.guru.suse101
smart-gui-0.42-14.guru.suse101
smartmontools-5.33-18
smart-addons-0.42-14.guru.suse101
Hope this helps?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #39
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
It seems like smart-gui is installed but not in your path. I suggest you start Konsole, login as root using "su -" and then run smart-gui.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #40
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Quote:
It seems like smart-gui is installed but not in your path. I suggest you start Konsole, login as root using "su -" and then run smart-gui.
Is there a particular location that I'm supposed to try to run it from? I tried using kdesu smart-gui and got this error:

Quote:
linux-b00g:~ # kdesu smart-gui
sh: smart-gui: command not found
kbuildsycoca running...
Cannot open client
akode: Guessed format: xiph
linux-b00g:~ # ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 22164, errno = 0
and then I tried it without the kdesu and got this:

Quote:
linux-b00g:~ # smart-gui
-bash: smart-gui: command not found
linux-b00g:~ #
Both times were after starting Konsole and logging into root like you told me to.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #41
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Well there definitely seems to be something wrong with your installation of smart because rpm shows its installed but you can't seem to find it. I suggest you uninstall your packages and install them from scratch to see if this makes a difference. Smart GUI should have been in /usr/bin.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #42
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Well there definitely seems to be something wrong with your installation of smart because rpm shows its installed but you can't seem to find it. I suggest you uninstall your packages and install them from scratch to see if this makes a difference. Smart GUI should have been in /usr/bin.
Removed, reinstalled, nothing.
Removed, reinstalled through Zen, nothing.
Next step: Remove, reinstall with older version, cross fingers
Final step: Remove Xine through Yast and then track down the full version and install manually (I tried installing the upgraded version before, really got sick of the dependencies)

Old 11-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #43
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
One other solution would be to get xine-lib from here, win32 codecs from Packman and the libdvdcss rpm from the videolan.org website. Install them manually with the rpm command and your xine apps should be able to play any type of multimedia app.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #44
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Lightbulb Eureka!! I got it!!

Quote:
One other solution would be to get xine-lib from here, win32 codecs from Packman and the libdvdcss rpm from the videolan.org website. Install them manually with the rpm command and your xine apps should be able to play any type of multimedia app.
I finally got it working, and it's a different method than any of the ones described here. I did install the win32 codecs from the site in the last post, but here's the rest of what I did.

1) Open Yast and choose Installation Source
2) Manually add the Packman and Guru repositories
- Click Add -> HTTP
- under server, enter ftp.gwdg.de
- under directory, enter pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.1/ (based on SUSE 10.1)
- Click OK
3) After Yast loads the catalog, repeat step 2 again, this time using ftp.uni-erlangen.de and pub/mirrors/packman/suse/10.1 for the server and directory
4) Exit out of the program and start the Online Update app
5) If you do everything right, it will probably download about 600 MB worth of free programs, but it also put on the new Xine engine as well as Amarok 1.4.4
6) Pull an MP3 file out and test it. Worked for me, and I'll be able to double check it after I start to set up SuSE on my laptop

Also, here's the specifics about what Amarok has for getting past the problem with the SuSE builds, same basic thing that I did, just that they're specific as to the files needed: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3_on_SUSE_Linux_10.1

Heather

Last edited by heatheriac; 11-08-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #45
winsnomore

Distribution: #1 PCLinuxOS -- for laughs -> Ubuntu, Suse, Mepis

Rep: Reputation: 31
Redazz .. there are problems doing what you suggested

I spent a few hours getting back into the game.
Suse 10.2 Beta 1 .. no sound .. tried alsa ..it works ...but not quiet.

Tried doing what's suggested by redazz .. that sort of didn't work at all.
Problem was Smart .. it didn't get any channels (packman or guru) .. so it was quiet useless as there were no instructions on the URL locations for them.

So I went back to Yast2.

I picked up the additional repositories from heatheric mail (thanks) and removed xine-lib and added libxine1 (note that I couldn't find libxine that redazz wanted .. there were still some dependency issues .. some libMXXXX couldn't be found .. I told Yast2 to ignore it and viola .. sound works.

Tags
audio, boot, codec, design, distribution, distro, distros, linux, mandriva, mplayer, totem, voice, website, wma, wmv, xine