LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
beezum88

Distribution: Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat, openSUSE 11.4

Rep: Reputation: 15
installing X11 on an intel macbook

I have a brand new macbook, and I want to install open office and the gimp on it, but I need the x11 runtime environment (I guess that's what it's called). So I downloaded the free version off the apple website and tried to install it. I got a message that said, "Cannot install software. Newer software already exists on your computer."

So, I got my installation cd that came with the computer and popped it in. I found the package that installs X11, and ran it. It told me that the installation was complete, and I restarted the computer for good measure. Then I installed the gimp and tried to turn it on, and got the message, "Gimp.app requires X11 from the 'Optional Installs' package on the OS X install disc." So I went back to the installation CD and tried to reinstall X11 from that. I checked the "repair" option, and ran the installation again. I again restarted the computer. The gimp still won't work, and gives the same error message. So does openoffice.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does anyone know how to solve it?

<<EDIT>>

Update: problem solved. I feel kind of stupid now. I seem to have installed the wrong package. I opened up my install disk again this morning, scrolled down, and found the "Optional Installs" package that everyone's been telling me about, but I have been heretofore unable to find. Installed it. Works perfectly. No problem.

Last edited by beezum88; 09-05-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
macemoneta

Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android

Rep: Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344
You need to actually run X11 to start it. It's in Applications->Utilities. More here.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
beezum88

Distribution: Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat, openSUSE 11.4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
That's the problem

That's the whole cusp of the problem; it's not in Applications->Utilities. It's not anywhere. Even spotlight can't find it, but my install utility insists that it exists. That's the question: How do I get it to show up in Applications->Utilities?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
macemoneta

Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android

Rep: Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344
If you don't have X11, you need to download and install it.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
moyly
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
x11 bundle for macbook

I am having the same problem as the primary poster here. I downloaded gimp and I installed the x11 bundle from my system disks... and nothing. it won't open and it just says 'x11 failed to open).

rather frustrating. guess I'll try again.

it seems there is one specific x11 app they are referring to (at the gimp site) but there is precious little help available for the problem we both seem to be having. perhaps someone (hint hint) will dummy down the process for dimwits like me.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
moyly
LQ Newbie

hmm. ok. I'll try that.

:: not stupid. doubt you are. bad instructions... support for this task ::

ok, maybe I'm stupid, too.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
moyly
LQ Newbie

optional installs
then pull down the 'applications' arrow
then select x11...

TA DA!

thank you whoever for a very rapid and useful interaction.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
bsky
LQ Newbie

X11 on macbook pro

Hello,

I installed the X11 from the optional package.
Now I see it's in applications > utilities.
I double click it, I see the X flashes once. But nothing happens after that. Should there be a X11 window pop up?

thanks,

bsky

Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
alpha01

Distribution: Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS, RHEL, FreeBSD, OS X

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezum88 View Post
I have a brand new macbook, and I want to install open office and the gimp on it, but I need the x11 runtime environment (I guess that's what it's called). So I downloaded the free version off the apple website and tried to install it. I got a message that said, "Cannot install software. Newer software already exists on your computer."

So, I got my installation cd that came with the computer and popped it in. I found the package that installs X11, and ran it. It told me that the installation was complete, and I restarted the computer for good measure. Then I installed the gimp and tried to turn it on, and got the message, "Gimp.app requires X11 from the 'Optional Installs' package on the OS X install disc." So I went back to the installation CD and tried to reinstall X11 from that. I checked the "repair" option, and ran the installation again. I again restarted the computer. The gimp still won't work, and gives the same error message. So does openoffice.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does anyone know how to solve it?

<<EDIT>>

Update: problem solved. I feel kind of stupid now. I seem to have installed the wrong package. I opened up my install disk again this morning, scrolled down, and found the "Optional Installs" package that everyone's been telling me about, but I have been heretofore unable to find. Installed it. Works perfectly. No problem.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't OpenOffice 3.0 for OS X built to run as a native application? Personally I never liked using Open Office on OS X because X11 didn't blend with the aqua interface. I'd suggest you should try out NeoOffice instead. It is a fork of OpenOffice but it doesn't look as ugly like OpenOffice does because it runs natively in OS X.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php