LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
lion_heart_300

Rep: Reputation: 15
what happen after upgrade gnome

hello
i have problem
after upgrade gnome to drop line gnome 2.14.1 and run gdm
and enter user name and password
show this problem click here to show pic

http://members.lycos.co.uk/younann/u...Image(046).JPG

what i do ?
good bye

Old 06-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
lion_heart_300

Original Poster
any think friends

Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
petterah
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 0
Sorry for the previous post.. Im still asleep, its the openssl package that complains.. this could be because of a dropline vs. slackware openssl package... maybe a pam problem, since dropline installs pam and use this for logins?

-petter-

(looks like openssh package conflict, or ssh key conflict? Im not sure how to fix this tough... maybe you could try replacing your ssh key, or check if you have the correct package for dropline installed, instead of the default slackware package? Im not sure, but you could try a google search on one of these topics..)

-petter-

Last edited by petterah; 06-23-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
ringwraith

Distribution: Slackware 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 65
The error msg says something about out of space. Have you checked (df) to see if you still have room. If this is a dropline specific problem you might try their forums. They used to have a lot of very nice and knowledgable people.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
georgejc
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Arch Linux

Exclamation Dropline issues

Just a quick warning concerning dropline gnome.

After I installed dropline gnome for my x86_64 based system that is using Slamd64-10.2b (an unofficial port of Slackware 10.2), it essentially killed my system.

My basic everyday apps still ran fine, and I *thought* that I just saved myself a lot of time, but I soon discovered that my most important apps simply would not run anymore.

Cinelerra http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 crashed on startup. Yes, I know that Cinelerra has its quirks, but there are no other comparable video editing apps for Linux. And, most importantly for me, jack (low latency audio server) http://jackaudio.org would not run properly.
Recompiles of jack & cinelerra did not help. And no jack means no Ardour http://ardour.org or any other of my many excellent audio apps.

Since it was a new system, I decided to do a fresh install, *WITHOUT* dropline. And, I compiled gnome-2.14.2 myself. This way, I know that I won't be doing any system changes like dropline does.

I also installed gnome into /opt/gnome-2.14.2 so this way, any upgrades would be easier than using /usr/local .

I'm not slamming the good people behind dropline, but, you may want to consider another gnome distribution, especially for x86_64 systems.

For me, I'll never use dropline again.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
zborgerd

Distribution: Slackware / Dropline GNOME

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejc
Just a quick warning concerning dropline gnome.

After I installed dropline gnome for my x86_64 based system that is using Slamd64-10.2b (an unofficial port of Slackware 10.2), it essentially killed my system.

My basic everyday apps still ran fine, and I *thought* that I just saved myself a lot of time, but I soon discovered that my most important apps simply would not run anymore.

Cinelerra http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 crashed on startup. Yes, I know that Cinelerra has its quirks, but there are no other comparable video editing apps for Linux. And, most importantly for me, jack (low latency audio server) http://jackaudio.org would not run properly.
Recompiles of jack & cinelerra did not help. And no jack means no Ardour http://ardour.org or any other of my many excellent audio apps.

Since it was a new system, I decided to do a fresh install, *WITHOUT* dropline. And, I compiled gnome-2.14.2 myself. This way, I know that I won't be doing any system changes like dropline does.

I also installed gnome into /opt/gnome-2.14.2 so this way, any upgrades would be easier than using /usr/local .

I'm not slamming the good people behind dropline, but, you may want to consider another gnome distribution, especially for x86_64 systems.

Dropline tampers way too much with your original system.
Hmm. It would appear that you've posted this message in about 8 different threads that are related to Dropline. Not sure why you did that, but I guess you've gotten your point across.

It should be noted that Dropline GNOME for Slamd64 is not the same as Dropline GNOME for Slackware. The Slamd version is ported by a single, dedicated developer, and is still in a testing phase. In a way, it's an "unofficial" port of Dropline GNOME and will likely remain that way. It also has a different set of packages from what is included in the standard Dropline GNOME distribution.

Regardless, there is no logical reason why Cinelerra might not work in Dropline vs. your own custom GNOME install. It's hard to tell, now, without any actual information in regards to the crash bug.

I would suspect that there is a deeper problem that cannot be traced now. However, there is no reason that you shouldn't use the right software for you. If that is your own custom GNOME build, then it's probably a good choice.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
georgejc
LQ Newbie

I've come across a few "issues" that seem to be related to my multi-processor machine... dropline being one of them.

Or more specifically; AMD64 chips, SATA and SMP don't seem to play well together in certain circumstances.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
zborgerd

Quote:
I've come across a few "issues" that seem to be related to my multi-processor machine... dropline being one of them.

Or more specifically; AMD64 chips, SATA and SMP don't seem to play well together in certain circumstances.
Just curious... What does dropline GNOME have to do with SATA and SMP?

If you could specify what the SMP issues are regarding the beta dropline GNOME Slamd64 port, any bug reports would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
linux-gorilla
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slamd64

Rep: Reputation: 0
I wish I saw this last month!!

Quote:

I was just searching for some answers to my current linux problems and here they are!

I have a dual processor 64 bit AMD box with 2 SATA Raptor drives, and all was pretty good until I installed Dropline. I had a few -fPIC problems, but those are easily fixed.

I've never used Cinelerra, but with me, all of my audio apps started acting up, or just crashing on startup.

Jack would no longer run reliably, and sometimes not at all. Rosegarden would crash on startup.
And without Jack, I'm kind of up a creek without a paddle.
Recompiling hasn't helped.

I tried to remove Dropline with the installer, but that just crashed. When I tried to manually remove dropline, other things broke. I was hoping to find a way to fix it, but that is looking unlikely.

I sorry about your problems, but I wish I would have seen this information sooner.

If I can offer you some advice.

While I appreciate your dropline information, I've met up with more than a few hostile Dropline fans around the web that seemed more interested in defending their favorite Gnome distro than hearing about my woes.

You may want to consider "dropping" the Dropline issue, especially if someone has your real email address.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
georgejc
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zborgerd
Just curious... What does dropline GNOME have to do with SATA and SMP?

If you could specify what the SMP issues are regarding the beta dropline GNOME Slamd64 port, any bug reports would be appreciated.
I don't know if I will have enough info to satisfy you at the moment. But, when I first started having serious problems with my computer, it was only AFTER installed the above mentioned Gnome distro. I spent many, many hours researching that one.

Since I am building a computer system primarily for professional audio work, I am in regular contact with other Linux Audio users.

For those that have had problems, especially with dual CPU 64bit systems, the issues were almost identical, right down to the hardware, and for some with a similar distro, the same software issues.

I'm a little strapped for time right now, but I will get back to this in a little while with specific details. I am planning on putting up yet another Linux audio website, that will, in detail, describe what worked for me, and what did not.

Right now, I have to get back to getting this system fully functional. I could not afford to have this system sitting idle while I figure out a dropline issue. It was quicker to just get rid of the problem altogether. If it was on another computer, I could have let it stay on for a while to try to figure out what was going on.

There is another issue with either AMD64 and/or SMP with low latency kernels, but that is another loooooooong story.

The Gnome thing happened on both the standard and low latency kernels.

I do have a list of some of the error messages that appeared only after Dropline was installed, but I don't have them with me right now (another location). The main one was a glibc problem. Apparently this is a known bug. There are mismatched GLIBC libraries that came with dropline gnome that cause an error that said: glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption

That, or a similar error was present on many programs, but only AFTER Dropline was installed. There were other errors as well.
If you Google it, you will find many posts (with not many fixes).
And for some unknown reason (unknown to me, anyway) the problems seem to be worse on x86_64 SMP systems.

As I said before, it was not my intent to "slam" anyone, but to warn people about a problem that cost me many hours of my time.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
zborgerd

Quote:
I don't know if I will have enough info to satisfy you at the moment. But, when I first started having serious problems with my computer, it was only AFTER installed the above mentioned Gnome distro. I spent many, many hours researching that one.

Since I am building a computer system primarily for professional audio work, I am in regular contact with other Linux Audio users.

For those that have had problems, especially with dual CPU 64bit systems, the issues were almost identical, right down to the hardware, and for some with a similar distro, the same software issues.

I'm a little strapped for time right now, but I will get back to this in a little while with specific details. I am planning on putting up yet another Linux audio website, that will, in detail, describe what worked for me, and what did not.

Right now, I have to get back to getting this system fully functional. I could not afford to have this system sitting idle while I figure out a dropline issue. It was quicker to just get rid of the problem altogether. If it was on another computer, I could have let it stay on for a while to try to figure out what was going on.

There is another issue with either AMD64 and/or SMP with low latency kernels, but that is another loooooooong story.

The Gnome thing happened on both the standard and low latency kernels.

I do have a list of some of the error messages that appeared only after Dropline was installed, but I don't have them with me right now (another location). The main one was a glibc problem. Apparently this is a known bug. There are mismatched GLIBC libraries that came with dropline gnome that cause an error that said: glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption

That, or a similar error was present on many programs, but only AFTER Dropline was installed. There were other errors as well.
If you Google it, you will find many posts (with not many fixes).
And for some unknown reason (unknown to me, anyway) the problems seem to be worse on x86_64 SMP systems.

As I said before, it was not my intent to "slam" anyone, but to warn people about a problem that cost me many hours of my time.
A few things should be noted about the dropline GNOME port for Slamd64...

It is my understanding that Slamd64 does not have security updates to the "stable" branches in the same way Slackware does. I've been told that the maintainer of Slamd64 does not have the time and resources to build things this way. Thus, he suggests (according to the homepage) that all users utilize Slamd-Current in order to keep their systems up-to-date.

Diffie, the sole maintainer of the beta Slamd64 port of Dropline GNOME, builds it on Slamd64 Current for this very reason.

If you are not using Slamd64 Current, you should not install the port of Dropline GNOME for Slamd64. Your mismatched Glibc issues indicate to me that you are not using Slamd64 Current. Additionally, it's not an officially supported Dropline GNOME build (note that we don't endorse it like we do the stable build. See our homepage).

And, though I'm not normally one to deny someone assistance with problems, I must remain totally hands-off with the Slamd64 port. "Dropline GNOME" only supports Slackware 10.2 at the moment. Please read the homepage and look at the requirements. If you are having problems with the Slamd64 port, then you're using an entirely different peice of software that is not like our standard release for Slackware 10.2. The unfortunate side-effect of these ports is that it gives people a different impression of what "Dropline GNOME" really is. The Slamd port does not have the testing, or the exact same software, as the Dropline GNOME release for Slackware 10.2.

I don't want to discredit Diffie for his work on the port, because he does awesome work and puts a lot of time into it. I just want users to be aware that they are not using the same software, nor is it being installed on the same platform (Slamd64 is not Slackware, even though it is similar in most respects). Ditto for Dropline and the Slamd64 port.

Those that wish to use the Slamd64 port can still consult the Dropline GNOME forums for assistance. There is a dedicated thread there for that very reason. Rather than posting rants or bug reports here, it is a good idea to present any issues directly to the developer of the port. I'm certain that he could have told you the nature of the problems immediately, or could have corrected the problems that you mention.

Last edited by zborgerd; 07-11-2006 at 08:16 AM.