LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 PM   #46
gargrk72
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

Hi, grunbergdaniel
Sorry, No experience to guide you.

However, i have found that
$ifup wlan0

generaly works fine instead of
$ifconfig wlan0 up

for my wireless. Pl update if you succeed.
RKGarg

Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #47
dazonic
LQ Newbie

I can't find anyone who's had the problem I'm getting.
After a seemingly perfect install I end up with:

Quote:
# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
kernel-devel installed, finding source fine. ndiswrapper appears to install properly.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dazonic; 06-20-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #48
Bill Gatz

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 15
Maybe I am the slowest learner of all...

I keep getting the same error as I am being asked to try KBUILD/KSRC/KSOURCE (don't know, I have tried them all) and I apparently don't know where my kernel files are installed. I have tried to work with the statement "Then you need to replace the /usr/bin or /usr/src part with the part where your kernel sources are" and used both usr/bin and usr/src but rather than try to monkey copy every possible combination, isn't there a way I can tell where my kernel files are installed?

I do uname -r and I have the exact kernel name, but that does me no good. I have used that in all of the machinations to no avail. I have searched for that exact name in the file browser just to see what turns up (nothing). I figured that would lead me to something that would enable me to make sure my file path to the kernel is correct.

So I assume that whatever I need to find, I don't know what name to search for. Isn't there a file that is always in the kernel that will find this elusive location for me right away? I was going to blow this off and just put ndiswrapper on SUSE 10, but it is giving me the same error. Ndiswrapper installed on MEPIS installed right off the bat, and even works with WPA. I don't remember wrestling with anything like this at all. That is why I loaded these other distros on the laptop too.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #49
dazonic
LQ Newbie

bill:
don't know if this will help you, but..
if you've installed kernel-devel, try /lib/modules/build/<version>/ check if build link is broken- mine was. if not, it might point you in the right direction.

Last edited by dazonic; 06-21-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #50
jrod2008
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunbergdaniel
i face the following error, suggesting he's still confused between the two kernels:
thanks for any help,
dan

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2129_FC5-i686'
*** WARNING: Kernel is compiled with 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/misc
mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/misc': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/grunberg/Ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.17/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2
I had the same error, and I read on an earlier thread that the ways to fix the bolded error are to A. get a kernel from the linux-ntfs site, I would post the site, but the forums won't let me, so just Google it,
or B. compile your own kernel. I'm trying A. I'll post and say how it went.

BTW, the ndiswrapper has a wiki that answers many questions brought up here.

UPDATE: I already installed the new kernel suggested int the article, and now I can't install the 16k version. I get the error "Can't install a different arch of /home/jrod/Desktop/kernel-2.6.16-1.2133 than already installed." Does anyone know how to uninstall a kernel?

UPDATE2: I figured it out. I used yum remove. Also, instead of the linux-ntfs, I used the kernel and kernel-devel suggested in the wiki.

Last edited by jrod2008; 06-23-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #51
paulio
LQ Newbie

Just a real quick note to say thanks. I followed the guide and all is working... typing this from Fedora core 5 using ndiswrapper with a safecom card and a TI chipset (ACX111) and WPA... Brilliant.

Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #52
spaniel

Distribution: Fedora Core 5 x86_64

Unhappy Fedora Core 5(x86_64), ndiswrapper, broadcom driver(bcm43xx)

Sources (Webpages that where usefull)
Many thanks to Matthew Rogers. His page was very helpfull, but i needed some more
http://www.runithard.com/HOWTO-BCOM64WIRELESS/

Another page i visited to get info regarding the installation and configuration:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m.../index.php/WPA

Some history:
On this laptop Fedora Core 4 has been running for while using the ndiswrapper and the 64-bit driver for windows.
My access point was using WEP encryption.This worked flawlessly.

Then i decided it was time to upgrade to Fedora Code 5, and: Bye Bye Wireless network.
Also i decided that it was time for some WPA-PSK configuration on my AP.

The present:
So after some long evenings trying to get the bcm43xx driver ( it is in the FC5 distro) to work,
a couple (of thousand) of total laptop freezes later, i decided to go back to the ndiswrapper.
Here's how i got it to work.

System configuration:
- HP nx9105, AMD 64 3400+
- 2 Gb memory
- Dual boot ( Windows XP (yes, i know, need it for my work), Fedora Core 5)
- 80 Gb 7200rpm disk
- Fedora Core 5 ( kernel: 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 ) (x86_64)
- bcm4303 onboard card

First of all:

Remove the bcm43xx driver from the startup modules.
When installing the ndiswrapper it is not usefull anymore, and it might get in the way.
I added a line to the file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

blacklist bcm43xx

I also added some &*##*((@&((# comments in this file about the driver, but thats purely for my own pleasure.
No offense: The guys at berlios are probably doing a great job, it just didn't work for me.

When i got this out of my system (double meaning ) i rebooted.

Second thing to do, download/install some stuff:

- 64 bit windows drivers
http://www.runithard.com/HOWTO-BCOM6...4g_Drivers.zip
- Source from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net, i used 1.19
Source for wpa_supplicant. ( this is same version Fedora provided at the time i wrote this)
- http://atrpms.net/dist/fc5/wpa_suppl...t.src.rpm.html
- yum install kernel-devel ( you might need some more things like the gcc compiler)

Third thing to do:
Unzip the windows drivers
You will get two files: BCMWL564.SYS and netbc564.inf
Don't do anything with them, you will need them in the following step.

Fourth thing to do:

untar/gunzip the ndiswrapper sources ( tar xvfz ndiswrapper-1.19.tar.gz)
Install ndiswrapper.
See the file INSTALL in the directory "ndiswrapper-1.19". It is very clear and monkey proof.
You will need the windows drivers now.

Fifth thing to do:

Install the wpa_supplicant sources. Very straight forward: rpm -ivh wpa_supplicant-0.4.9-11.rhfc5.at.src.rpm
If the rpm installation complains it cannot find/create the directory /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, then create it yourself and re-isssue the command.
Go to the directory: /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.
untar/unzip the file wpa_supplicant-0.4.9.tar.gz (tar xvfz wpa_supplicant-0.4.9.tar.gz)
do into the directory wpa_supplicant-0.4.9 and create the file ".config" with the
following lines in there:

CONFIG_DRIVER_NDISWRAPPER=y
CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y

save the file and issue the command: "make"
If no errors, then issue the command: "make install"

You will now have a new wpa_supplicant installed on your system, one which includes support for the ndiswrapper
Fedora does not included this options, i think.
I could not get it to work with the standard fedora version.

The sixted (thats not good english, is it?) thing to do:
I made a backup of the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and added some lines/changed it.
My configuration file now looks like this:
---------------------------------------------------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

#network={
# ssid="any"
# key_mgmt=NONE
#}

network={
ssid="<my ssid>"
psk="< my secret>"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA
}

The seventh thing to do:

Put one hand before your eyes and peek through your fingers.
With the other hand type:

ifconfig wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

And then you will see a lot of rubbish, uhh i mean debug info scrolling over your screen.
The last lines should look something like below:
State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:11:d8:43:80:e2 completed (auth)
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=1
EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state SUCCESS
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATED
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE
EAPOL: startWhen --> 0

And then you give the command: "ifconfig"

AND YOU STILL DON'T HAVE A IP-ADDRESS

And thats quite logical, jim, because you have to start the dhclient to get one.
so: dhclient wlan0

And we have a ip-address.

So when i got this ip-address i unplugged my normal network cable and i could get to the internet.
This probably means i have a wireless connection......................

And now it is 03:05 AM and lets write something to document my journey.
Result: This document.

Lets see if i can post it somewhere............. via a wireless network connection.

PS: One warning though, when you update your kernel, you will have to re-install, relink, etc, etc the ndiswrapper.

PSS: You will have to demonize everything, putit in a script, hang it in your rc scripts, whatever, but now it is 03:29 AM and i want to go to sleep

Old 07-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #53
thequestess
LQ Newbie

I am running a Compaq Presario 2200 with a Broadcom 4306 wireless card. I managed to get through step 8, but at step 9 I look to see what drivers are installed and I'm told that the bcmwl5.inf, OR the bcmwl5a.inf file I installed is an invalid driver.

I dug around online and found another place to download this driver. It included bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5a.inf. I tried installing both to NDISwrapper and both were still invalid.

I can't figure out what to do.
I only know a little bit about Linux, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Additionally, the depmod and modprobe commands will not work.
Perhaps this is related to the fact that when I type uname -r it returns:
2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

But I sure thought I installed the newest version, which is the folder located in /usr/src/kernels/:
2.6.16-1.2129_FC5-i686

Did I somehow do an incomplete install of the new kernel? I used the GUI to click on the RPMs that I downloaded and it said that it had installed the new files. And then I also used the terminal with the rpm -i command to install them. It still returns 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 when I type uname.

And for reference, I was unable to do step 5 with the command KSRC=/usr/src/kernels/. I had to use KBUILD=/usr/src/kernels/. I was installing NDISwrapper 1.19, not sure if it's a change they made or what, but it's the only way I could get NDISwrapper to install.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #54
spaniel

Looks to me like your new kernel is not running.
Open a terminal and type: yum update kernel
Note: You will have to be connected to the internet, so you will have to use the fixed network card.
Let it run. After the reboot you should see that uname -r shows the right kernel version.
Now download the corresponding source from the fedoraproject.org website ( use one of the mirrors, you can download the source rpms directly).
After this, just follow the procedure again. I think your problem is that you are compiling your module against the wrong source/kernel version.

Also verify that you have the corresponding .sys file with the .inf file.
The .inf file is only a "pointer"to the sys file.

Last edited by spaniel; 07-13-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #55
thequestess
LQ Newbie

I'm silly and I didn't reboot my system after updating the kernel. It worked just fine after a reboot. I also had not copied the sys files to the same directory as the inf files. I did that and installed the inf files again and recieved a "driver installed, hardware present" for bcmwl5a.

I looked around online and discovered I need to type /sbin/depmod -a, so I did this and it worked. Then I typed /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper and it returned
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Before when I used the ndiswrapper command, I had to enter /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper, so I did this: /sbin/modprobe /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
And received: FATAL Module /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper not found.

So.......... now what?

Old 07-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #56
spaniel

If modprobe cannot find the module ndiswrappermthen the most probable things thats wrong si that you did not install it correctly.

I would perform the following:
- Make sure you have got the same sources as your current kernel (uname -r)
- Do a recompile of the ndiswrapper.
- Do a: make install

Now you should have the ndiswrapper as a module in your /lib/modules/<kernel version>

Try again to do a ndiswrapper -i. then try the modprobe.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:46 AM   #57
gargrk72
LQ Newbie

Ndiswrapper in Fedora Core 5

Hi thequestess;
For kernel of 2.6.16-1.2129_FC5-i686, I have successfully installed ndiswrapper-1.16

Unistall old ndiswrapper and download 1.16 package. Install it following the guidelines in doc viz. INSTALL

Be sure you have source of this kernel. Hurry up you can download from net, if you don't have the one.

RKGarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequestess
I am running a Compaq Presario 2200 with a Broadcom 4306 wireless card. I managed to get through step 8, but at step 9 I look to see what drivers are installed and I'm told that the bcmwl5.inf, OR the bcmwl5a.inf file I installed is an invalid driver.

I dug around online and found another place to download this driver. It included bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5a.inf. I tried installing both to NDISwrapper and both were still invalid.

I can't figure out what to do.
I only know a little bit about Linux, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Additionally, the depmod and modprobe commands will not work.
Perhaps this is related to the fact that when I type uname -r it returns:
2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

But I sure thought I installed the newest version, which is the folder located in /usr/src/kernels/:
2.6.16-1.2129_FC5-i686

Did I somehow do an incomplete install of the new kernel? I used the GUI to click on the RPMs that I downloaded and it said that it had installed the new files. And then I also used the terminal with the rpm -i command to install them. It still returns 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 when I type uname.

And for reference, I was unable to do step 5 with the command KSRC=/usr/src/kernels/. I had to use KBUILD=/usr/src/kernels/. I was installing NDISwrapper 1.19, not sure if it's a change they made or what, but it's the only way I could get NDISwrapper to install.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:12 AM   #58
jrmy
LQ Newbie

Unhappy

i have religiously followed all that is written here but still i could figure why ifconfig cannot detect my wlan0 device. i have tried both console and UI mode.

terminal:
>ifconfig wlan0 up
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device

UI(System>Admin>Network):
when i try do activate wlan0 it prompts an error saying
Cannot activate network device wlan0!
ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

please help. i dont know what is wrong.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 AM   #59
jrmy
LQ Newbie

i think i might know what is wrong now. i viewed the dmesg and have found out that the driver was never loaded.

ndiswrapper version 1.23 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:155): kernel is 32-bit, but Windows driver is not 32-bit;bad magic: 020B
ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:214): couldn't prepare driver 'dr71wu'
ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
ndiswrapper: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -22
usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper

problem is i do not know how to fix it. please help.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 AM   #60
jschiwal
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
Keepertoad, the "ar" program is supplied by the "binutils" package.

Tags
broadcom, fedora, hp, ndiswrapper, nx