LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Maritime

Distribution: Debian 3.1 (Server only)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Webpage does not render correctly in Konqueror.

I frequently use this interface for research purposes. Unfortunately, it does not render correctly on my version of Konqueror (3.5.2). When I attempt to zoom in, I get the following error message:

Quote:
An error has occurred in American FactFinder

Please try your request again, starting from the American FactFinder Main Page.
If you continue to experience a problem, we suggest closing then restarting your browser.

Possible causes of errors in FactFinder include
having browser cookies disabled
trying to access bookmarked pages
For more information about these errors, click Help.

If the problem continues to occur, please help us identify the problem by clicking Feedback and describing the steps that led to the error.

We apologize for any inconvenience. exception_en
Date: Sun May 14 19:10:35 EDT 2006
Because Mozilla-based browsers do not handle fonts very well on Linux, I am forced to use Windows to properly access the page. I first brought the matter to attention in this post. In the following post, user d00bid00b was able to successfully render the page (it should be noted that the user used a different version of Konqueror, 3.4.2, to test the interface). Thus, I request an answer to one of the following questions:

(1) How can I configure Konqueror to render the page correctly?

(2) How can I configure a Mozilla-based browser (preferably Firefox) to handle fonts correctly in KDE?

For the moment, the fonts in Mozilla-based browsers are much more difficult to read and look much less attractive in Firefox because they have a narrow, unevenly spaced appearance. In addition, the GTK+ rendering of Firefox in KDE 3.5.2 leaves much to be desired; when I hover over a checkbox, for instance, the checkmark previously present seems to disappear. I use the Clearlooks GTK2 theme.

Last edited by Maritime; 05-14-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
dalek

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 79
No real answer here but it does work here with Konqueror 3.5.2. It must be a setting or something different with our distros one. I use Gentoo for mine.

One thing I did notice, it asks if it is OK to open a popup several times. Does yours do that too? I click allow and then it works fine, it is a bit slow though.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Maritime

Original Poster
I am using Debian Etch, so it may simply be a bug then. There is popup to indicate that it is getting data from the server.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
dalek

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 79
I get that to. It is slow to respond when that pops up though. It's like the server is busy or something. Works good in Mozilla though.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Maritime

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
I get that to. It is slow to respond when that pops up though. It's like the server is busy or something. Works good in Mozilla though.

How do the fonts look? Are there any differences between Mozilla and Konqueror? I assumed that there wouldn't be any differences in the way Mozilla renders the webpage from Firefox, but I may be wrong.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
verdeboy2k

Distribution: Gentoo amd64, CrunchBang amd64

Rep: Reputation: 32
never had any problems with fonts in Mozilla/Firefox in KDE in Debian unstable. (Both use the same rendering engine [Gecko] so that there should be no palpable difference besides interface) Konqueror works fine for me too, at least font-wise. Can't check that particular webpage tho, as my current toy PC is Gnome only... don't have Konqueror installed.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Maritime

Original Poster
I finally solved the font problem. Apparently, Firefox was using a hideous font to display that page. Until now, I was reluctant to force Firefox to use just one font for all proportional fonts on webpages, but it seems that that's all Konqueror does. Forcing Firefox to use the Sans-Serif font exclusively for proportional fonts made everything look much, much better. It's strange that Konqueror refuses to zoom in on that page though.

Tags
fonts, gtk, konqueror, mozilla