LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #61
lazeeboy

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Just sort of checking things out right now, deciding if it's worth it for me to start using any distro on a more permanent level. I've booted the Kubuntu live CD and right now I'm using the Knoppix live CD.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #62
isd2301

Distribution: Ubuntu, Fedora

One more live cd you might want to try is the Mandrake based PCLinuxOS. It is really easy to use and if you decide to install it on your hard drive all you have to do is click the install icon on the desktop. It even has instruction on how boot from external devices (like a pen drive or sd card) and how to partition your hard drive for dual boot if I am not mistaken. Dual boot is of course dependant on your partitioning scheme.

PCLinuxOS is supposed to be designed for the beginner, but I have found it will go far beyond that if you want it to. What's more, after the hard drive install everything worked out-of-the-box and that was a pleasant surprise! I highly recommend giving it a try!

And this advice is coming from a hard-core Fedora Fanatic!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #63
Xplosive
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian Etch

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeeboy
What's so good about Linux, and is it anything that would make me want to switch from XP?
Well,We can load anything from modules, to kernels, RPM's\DEB's, source codes , anything we need.
What is better?. How do you define better? If you're talking about what you can use,
what you can install, what you can upgrade and change, then better is simply electrical
signals interpreted by your HD. This is the world that you know. The world as it is at the
early twenty-first century. It exists now only as part of a neural-interactive simulation that
we call Windows. You've been living in a dream world, lazeeboy ... Welcome to the world of freedom.
We have only bits and pieces of information but what we know for certain is
that at some point in the late twentieth century Bill Gates had his celebration. He
marveled at his own magnificence as he gave birth to MS -
A singular corporation that spawned almost an entire race of humans. We don't know
who struck first, us or them. But we know that it was us that spreaded the source-code.
At the time they were dependent on profits and it was believed that they would be unable to
survive without an incoming source as abundant as the consumers. Throughout human
history, we have been dependent on corporations to survive. Fate it seems, is not without a
sense of irony.
The Windows OS generates a swap file larger than a 512MB memory stick, and over 210°F of CPU heat. Combined with a form of fusion, MS have found all the energy Windows would ever need.
There are websites,lazeeboy..endless websites, where PC's are no longer safe.
For the longest time I wouldn't believe it, and then I saw the Viruses with my own eyes. Watch them modify the dll's so they could be fed intravenously to the kernel..And standing there, facing the pure horrifying precision, I came to realize the obviousness of the truth.
What is Windows? Control. Windows is a human generated OS, built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into this

You are a slave, lazeeboy. Like everyone else you were born into bondage, born into a prison
that you cannot change or see or share. A prison for your PC.... fortunately, some of us
can be told what Linux is.But you have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance.
After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends,
you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill,
you stay in Wonderland, and we show you how deep the rabbit hole goes....
Remember,all I'm offering is the truth.

Last edited by Xplosive; 09-30-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #64
tombeef
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Currently using linspire 5.0, and simplyMEPIS.

great job Xplosive with that speech, hilarious and true.
I hope I'm not hacking this thread, but I've used linspire, mandriva, mepis, ark, beatrlX, but I'm still getting aquainted with linux. I just want to know what linux OS will make life easiest for me. After I get comfortable with that, I'll move on to another one.

My friend is running Ubuntu or something, he says its great, but is probably to complex for me. It's ovious that linux is better than windows, but I just need some help. I've toyed around with a few linux distros but have yet to settle on one. Thanks for the help, and sorry if this post is a little off topic, but everyone starts somewhere, and, in my case, its getting out of windows after using it for 10 years.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #65
MrVahn

Distribution: Gentoo

The only thing that I don't like about linux is that there are only a few game developers that develop games or linux. What I really want to play in linux is Diablo 2 and maplestory and guildwars. I think cedega will handle it nicely but not perfectly.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #66
robertpratt
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeeboy
Just sort of checking things out right now, deciding if it's worth it for me to start using any distro on a more permanent level. I've booted the Kubuntu live CD and right now I'm using the Knoppix live CD.
Lazeeboy,

I'm glad you're able to check things out.

If I may advise... take things slowly. Back up your HD before attempting a permanent installation. I went too fast an nuked everything (once upon a time).

I hope you have fun.

Robert

Old 03-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #67
lazeeboy

Original Poster
Definitely gonna be cautious about doing anything serious. It's a family PC and if I "nuke everything" my parents will make sure I get caught in the fallout.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #68
navaburo
LQ Newbie

holy crap, Xplosive, that was impressive. digg++

Tags
linux, matrix, microsoft, ms