LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #16
Orion
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

and for that matter cant you just chmod -R /dev do give all users full permissions to all devices?

Old 02-05-2004, 06:52 AM   #17

Distribution: CentOS 5 64 bit

Rep: Reputation: 30
My solution for ALSA-driver without anything like artsd or changing rights of /dev/dsp:

The game needs access to some sound-device -->
I do

ls -la /dev/dsp*

in the console to see where /dev/dsp points to. For me that is /dev/sound/dsp or whatever. So the sound-devices the game is looking for are in /dev/sound. As /dev/sound/dsp does not work, I try something else in /dev/sound/, namely /dev/sound/adsp, and luckilliy this works :-)

To change the sound-device for the game (quake3 or enemy territory or whatever similar)
just start the game, then open the console with the tilde-key (for me <Alt Gr><~>, then <space>). Here you have to enter

snddevice "/dev/sound/adsp"

Just restart the game and sound should be on. This works for me and you don't have to change any rights or whatever.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #18
ateam

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
Alternatives

Trey's "solution" using the command echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" >/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss is hardly a solution at all. If you try to play a multiplayer game, or try loading a new Mod, such as Threewave, Quake III and X will both freeze.

After many, many failed attempts with the native Linux version of Quake III, I started using the latest version of WineX, called Cedega, to play it, since it runs just as well and has sound. Though, when I try to load a new Mod with it, like Threewave as previously mentioned, my cursor gets stuck on the bottom left corner. This is probably due to some window issues with Cedega.

All in all, I suggest that anyone who wants to play Quake III under Linux with sound and the ability to play both LAN and Internet games should use WineX's latest release called Cedega. If I figure out a way to fix my cursor issue when loading new Mods, I'll post it in this thread.

Good luck.

Update: Minutes after posting this, I found something someone wrote about the problems we've been having with Quake III and ALSA. It seems that many onboard or cards with younger drivers have problems with OSS emulation (Quake III uses OSS). I decided to run `alsaconf` and instead of picking my onboard sound card, I picked my Ensoniq AudioPCI, otherwise known as the Sound Blaster card, in hopes that its OSS emulation would work better than the previous. Well, although I'm suffering from a sinus infection at the moment, it seems that fate balanced itself and I now have 100% working sound under the Linux version of Quake III! I found this sound card on eBay years ago for a little over $10, so perhaps its a good idea for the rest of you having problems.

Good luck!

Last edited by ateam; 08-09-2004 at 02:04 PM.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #19
trey85stang

Rep: Reputation: 41
Re: Alternatives

Quote:
Originally posted by ateam
Trey's "solution" using the command echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" >/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss is hardly a solution at all. If you try to play a multiplayer game, or try loading a new Mod, such as Threewave, Quake III and X will both freeze.

After many, many failed attempts with the native Linux version of Quake III, I started using the latest version of WineX, called Cedega, to play it, since it runs just as well and has sound. Though, when I try to load a new Mod with it, like Threewave as previously mentioned, my cursor gets stuck on the bottom left corner. This is probably due to some window issues with Cedega.

All in all, I suggest that anyone who wants to play Quake III under Linux with sound and the ability to play both LAN and Internet games should use WineX's latest release called Cedega. If I figure out a way to fix my cursor issue when loading new Mods, I'll post it in this thread.

Good luck.

Update: Minutes after posting this, I found something someone wrote about the problems we've been having with Quake III and ALSA. It seems that many onboard or cards with younger drivers have problems with OSS emulation (Quake III uses OSS). I decided to run `alsaconf` and instead of picking my onboard sound card, I picked my Ensoniq AudioPCI, otherwise known as the Sound Blaster card, in hopes that its OSS emulation would work better than the previous. Well, although I'm suffering from a sinus infection at the moment, it seems that fate balanced itself and I now have 100% working sound under the Linux version of Quake III! I found this sound card on eBay years ago for a little over $10, so perhaps its a good idea for the rest of you having problems.

Good luck!
recommending a new sound card or to install a game under an emulator when a linux client is available is generally thought of as "hardly a solution." What I posted has worked for me on many occasions... just because it does not work for you does not make it "hardly a solution"

Old 08-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #20
ateam

Hey...

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I have been aware of your method for a long time, and everyone I've spoken with says it doesn't work with Quake III. You're playing ET, remember? You said, "...when runnign ET (i dont have quake 3 installed but the fix i used was for quake3)..." I reread my post, and I realize it seems I'm suggesting people buy new hardware. This is my mistake. Instead, I'm suggesting that you use a different sound card lying around. If you're running a server of some kind, you can take the sound card out of it, since it doesn't serve a purpose when it comes to acting as a server. A friend of mine did this and found that OSS emulation suddenly worked, allowing Quake III to work.

You also said that emulation is hardly a solution, however, I disagree. First of all, Cedege (WineX) does not emulate anything, it creates a Windows environment where it converts Windows API calls to Linux ones. Though this causes some performance loss, its better than nothing.

Anyway, I hope that those reading this thread have found and extra sound card lying around. It seems that onboard sound just doesn't cut it as far as OSS emulation goes, the onboard drivers are too primitive at the moment

Last edited by ateam; 08-09-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #21
trey85stang

Rep: Reputation: 41
Re: Hey...

Quote:
Originally posted by ateam
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I have been aware of your method for a long time, and everyone I've spoken with says it doesn't work with Quake III. You're playing ET, remember? You said, "...when runnign ET (i dont have quake 3 installed but the fix i used was for quake3)..." I reread my post, and I realize it seems I'm suggesting people buy new hardware. This is my mistake. Instead, I'm suggesting that you use a different sound card lying around. If you're running a server of some kind, you can take the sound card out of it, since it doesn't serve a purpose when it comes to acting as a server. A friend of mine did this and found that OSS emulation suddenly worked, allowing Quake III to work.
giving the age of this thread... I actually have run it with quake 3, it works with game soudns.. but the machine will lock when music plays. there is a thread in the game forum that I started a few months back... I think an actual solution was found for the onboard sound. I ,as well you, have since switched to a new sound card and now have no problem.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #22
ateam

Alright then...

So we can both agree that onboard sound is a recipe for disaster

Thanks for contributing all of that, it made me wonder about ALSA's boasted OSS emulation, and why it wasn't working with Quake III, leading to my own fix.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
killy9999

Distribution: openSUSE 11.3/11.4 x64

wow, that's an old thread, and I;m having the same problem. Quake 3 gives me:

------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less performance code)
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------

and ET gives:

Could not mmap /dev/dsp

I tried the above solutions (except for using a different sound card - I'm not gonna try that one for sure :] ) and none of them helped. I have SuSE 10.0. The only sound device I have is /dev/dsp, modyfing game scripts also doesn't help. Someone help me with this please :<

Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #24
MannyNix

Distribution: Slackware -current

Rep: Reputation: 51
Hi, try this before launching the game
As root type:
Code:
chmod 666 /dev/mixer*
chmod 666 /dev/dsp*
Then play as a regular user. It works for me and i think i found this on an et forum. gl

Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #25
irZ
LQ Newbie

I have almost same problem as the once above.. I've also used the default/standard kernel and the standard sound system..
I've runned alsaconf and configured my soundcard as it should be..

My problem is that when I try to start enemy territory, I get this:

Could not mmap /dev/dsp

But the strange thing is that my sound works perfectly in xmms and in the teamspeak client, and also in both xmms and teamspeak at the same time..

I've also put this into my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/oss
echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm1c/oss

For further information, which I hope can be to some help..

:~$ ls /dev/dsp* -lh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2006-02-12 22:29 /dev/dsp -> dsp0
crwxrwxrwx 1 root audio 14, 3 2003-08-29 09:47 /dev/dsp0
crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 19 2003-08-29 09:47 /dev/dsp1
crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 35 2003-08-29 09:47 /dev/dsp2
crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 51 2003-08-29 09:47 /dev/dsp3

:~$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd | grep oss
snd-pcm-oss 36736 1
snd-mixer-oss 12376 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-pcm 54344 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx snd-ac97-codec]
snd 32772 1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
snd-page-alloc 4712 0 [snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd]

:~$ ls /proc/asound/card0
codec97#0/ id oss_mixer pcm0c/ pcm0p/ pcm1c/ pcm1p/ via82xx

:~$ ls -la /dev/adsp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2006-02-12 22:29 /dev/adsp -> adsp0

I've also tryed to put seta snddevice "/dev/adsp1" in my enemy territory config, and run snd_reload, but didn't help either..

So anyone who have any suggestions or ideas, cause this feels totally hopeless. :/

Last edited by irZ; 02-16-2006 at 02:27 AM.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #26
killy9999

Distribution: openSUSE 11.3/11.4 x64

mannyslack, unfortunately this doesn't help. I still get same errors. Well, almost - I don't know why but quake says it can't access /dev/audio instead of previous /dev/dsp access error.

------ sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less performance code)
/dev/audio: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/audio

I googled for this problem a lot. It seems that lot of people are having the same problem but nowhere was I able to find a solution :/ Indeed this is hopeless.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
irZ
LQ Newbie

Just thought I should tell everyone what the solution for my problem was, if someone experience the same in the future..

Anyways, it was as simple as :
chmod a+r /dev/dsp*