LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
kristersaurusrex
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Wifi working...but no ip

Hey guys.

I'm using a dell truemobile 1300 (broadcom) wifi card in mandrake 2k5 le.

I believe I've got the ndiswrapper driver configured right, and i've used iwconfig to set managed mode, essid, and key. My router's logs are showing that it is successfully associating with the card. When i hit it with ifconfig wlan0 up or dhclient wlan0 (iwconfig shows that it is, indeed wlan0), however, it cannot get an ip address. I've configured mandrakes firewall to allow wlan0 traffic (i believe, it doesnt give confirmation that my settings changed). This was the dumb gui wizard though, so I don't really know how to check if it worked. I've followed the steps in ndiswrapper's installation wiki, as well as some on another site for setting up truemobile1300's with ndiswrapper(i'd post the link but i cant until i have 5 posts). This included steps configuring ifcfg-wlan0 that i didn't really understand but followed anyway.

I'm so close i can taste it. Any ideas why no ip?

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
A couple of ideas...

I believe Mandrake uses the ifup script, so try ifup wlan0 and see if that gets you an IP address. If that doesn't do the trick have a look in your system logs (/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog) and see if there is any complaining about DHCP.

If you're concerned about your firewall, you can post the output of iptables -L -n and we can take a look.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
bluesunxu
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I am having the same problem under RHL 9.0 + kernel 2.6.14. Didn't get any error msg using ifconfig wlan0 up. iwconfig shows the right information (at least it looks like right). But it just doesn't work. Tried to use dhclient wlan0. At the first time, it did ask the AP to get its ip address but failed. Then, it was only asking 255.255.255.255.

Last edited by bluesunxu; 12-30-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
superbnerb

Distribution: Kanotix64

Rep: Reputation: 15
i too get that message on my rpath beta 0.99.3 machine. i'm using a broadcom based chipset. ndiswrapper works great, and the machine can find the AP too, and i have the right info in my iwconfig wlan0.

when i run dhclient wlan0 i get it looking for 255.255.255.0 as well and it goes through 10 or so intervals before it "sleeps".

finally it spits out this error message
Code:
/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for wlan0 not found
lastly, i looked at my base station's log file and i can see it trying to access the sucker, but to no avail. CAn any body help us out? i'll post back results when i find em. u too, ok!?

Old 12-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunxu
I am having the same problem under RHL 9.0 + kernel 2.6.14. Didn't get any error msg using ifconfig wlan0 up. iwconfig shows the right information (at least it looks like right). But it just doesn't work. Tried to use dhclient wlan0. At the first time, it did ask the AP to get its ip address but failed. Then, it was only asking 255.255.255.255.
The 255.255.255.255 strikes me as wrong. I think that it should be searching 255.255.255.0. Also, RH uses the ifup script (you're approach should have worked, but I have seen it not work in a number of cases). YOu might want to give ifup a shot.

And lastly, the mix of RH9 and the 2.6.14 kernel has me suspicious. Starting with the 2.6.13 kernel, a new version of wireless extensions was used, and that requires an update to a beta version of wireless tools. Since RH9 hasn't been supported for several years now, there may be a problem. Have a look at the output of iwconfig -v to make sure everything is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbnerb
finally it spits out this error message
I'm completely unfamiliar with rpath, but I'm guessing that it requires you to have a configuration file somwhere. Maybe a look at the /sbin/dhclient-script file will tell you where this configuration file lives.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
superbnerb

Distribution: Kanotix64

Rep: Reputation: 15
wireless working on 64 bit system

i have my wireless working on rpath 0.99.3 beta 64-bit system.

steps i used are probably unnecessary for those who can get yours working right off the bat... if you have problems, give these steps a shot.

I started like everyone install ndiswrapper (i used version 1.7) and configured from source. with a make and make install if i ain't mistaken.

i then grabbed my diver it's a broadcom integrated chipset called 54G i think... anyways it's really a bcmwl5.inf that i needed. the link is here

i then realized that i installed the most up to date iwconfig i could find. i ended up using a version from the cvs labelled 28 pre... or something similar. i was always getting a message saying that i compiled my driver using version 19 of wireless-extensions but the driver support version 17.

i'm not sure if this actually was needed, but i did it anyways.

Then i got the new version of dhclient from ics.org i think... follow this link and click software>dhcp>and then click the read me file.... i followed those instructions on the readme file to update. I'm just guessing but most distros probably still are using 3.0.2 and the ics is now on 3.0.3. Again, not sure if this mattered, but it worked.

Ok now go through the steps.

install driver using ndiswrapper.
follow the instructions from the ndsiwrapper wiki, see the guy's signature tag above this message to go there. Once you do all that iwconfig is set up and ready to go.

Connect to your AP/network/base station.
Code:
dhclient wlan0
and that's assuming you are wlan0... you could be eth1, or another funky thing... you got this far, you know what you are. lol.

Note: I enabled MAC filtering on my base station. when you use dhclient, it tells you your MAC address, so frick, i used it. don't know if that is what actually made my thing work or not, as my wireless connection didn't work till i upgraded to 3.0.3 . I connect to a microSelfish base station and use their routers from a darker time in my life lol. use what you got i say. anywhore, that's how i made mine work. feel free to try dudes, and let me know whatelse made yours work.

64 bit wireless is possible, and i'm so glad for it.

Last edited by superbnerb; 02-04-2006 at 02:18 PM.