LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #1
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
d-link 650 newbie question

hello my name is buck and im a windowsaholic ..heh heh heh
seriously though i am a total newbie to linux. i just installed the suse 9.0 proffesional on my system and my d-link-650 wirelss router card isnt working in the suse system. i have seen some articles by people who talk about rewriting a kernal to get it to work, but like i said before i am a complete newbie.(what's a kernal? where do i write it? where does it go?) I really could use someones help in a step by step guide in writing the kernal for this and where to put it etc etc etc...basically i need someone who has the patience to help me crawl before i can walk. Once i get the wireless network card runiing i can then start reading and practicing tutorials online through the linux system instead of trying to read them and undrstanding what i am reading through windows then switching back over to the linux system and being confused again. please feel free to e-mail me at bucknuttyshag@aol.com with any help in this matter.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well the suse support line cant help with netwrok cards are routers. If anyone knows how to configure a dwl-650 or dwl 650+ card with the suse linux os i would really appreciate it. If i cant get this running i might end up giving up and sticking with windows . any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
by the way my computer isnt even detecting the card..no lights come up on the network card. obviously i dont have the right drivers going and possibly a kernal. i am not sure remember im new to this.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
moosedaddy

Distribution: Debian Unstable

Rep: Reputation: 30
Sounds like you do not have pcmcia enabled in the kernel or your hardware is not supported. For the DWL-650+ checkout the links in my signature.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well i did a system repair and now my system sees the d-link newtwork contoller..but.........its still not activating the card. when i clikc on the network card it brings up the device menu and when you click on networks then the d-link card and then click insert nothing happens. Any suggestions or help. Please be specific as you can be i appreciate the links to the web sites but they dont really explain things in a way i can really understand. i download the drivers do what they say to install them and nothing happens.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well i used the driver loader progran from linuxant.com and it seemed to have worked, but when i tried setting up my printer port i did something that screwed up my whole system i had to re install it. Now my card is activated and the little light goes on that shows it is activated but the little light that shows it has linked up to the router isnt going on. i tried to ping the router and its not seeing it. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
bucknutty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well im up and running again i got my card to work at work ill see if it will read the router at home. I used the driver loader from Linuxant.com its a trial version but i think i will go ahaead and spend the 20 bucks when the trial is over to keep using it. Now if i could only get the printer working ill be in good shape.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
moosedaddy

Distribution: Debian Unstable

Rep: Reputation: 30
For the DWL-650+ try the links in my signature. This is an actual binary driver that uses the Windows firmware. Or if you must use one of the wrapper drivers try ndiswrapper form sourceforge.